ALERT - WHILE TRAVELING BY METRO WITH VALUABLES

Mahendra Kumar Gupta

Jun 20, 2013, 12:16:47 AM6/20/13
to dwarka-residents

Bag with jewellery stolen from Metro

htreporters, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, June 19, 2013
First Published: 22:30 IST(19/6/2013) | Last Updated: 00:05 IST(20/6/2013)

0

A Haryana-based jeweller’s laptop bag containing diamond and gold jewellery worth several lakhs was stolen by an unidentified man from the baggage scanning machine installed at Chandni Chowk Metro station on Tuesday evening.

The complainant told the railways police that the value of the missing jewellery was worth between Rs. 50 and 55 lakhs. But his complaint lodged with Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) said the missing items were worth around Rs. 15 lakh.

According to a police officer, they collected CCTV footage from the Metro station to ascertain the sequence of events. The preliminary examination of the footage showed a person picking up the bag from the exit side of the scanner machine, a police officer said.

A case of theft has been registered at the Kashmere Gate Metro police station. Police believe that the accused was following the victim.

The jeweller, Ravinder Soni, a resident of Haryana’s Yamuna Nagar district, was being frisked and his bag being scanned when the incident took place around 6pm. Soni said he had come to the capital three days ago to buy jewellery.

On Tuesday, he purchased jewellery from different shops in central Delhi after which he headed towards the nearby Chandni Chowk Metro station.

“I reached the Metro station around 6pm and from there I bought a token for the Kashmere Gate Metro station as I had to take a bus back to Haryana from the ISBT. I was carrying two bags — a laptop bag and another one made of cloth — and the jewellery I had purchased. After buying my token, I placed the bags on the conveyer belt of the scanner machine and entered through the door framed metal detectors,” he said in his complaint.

After his frisking, he was shocked to see one of his bags, the one with the jewellery, missing and immediately alerted the security personnel. However, the person who had picked up his bag with jewellery had probably boarded a Metro train by then.

A DMRC official said a complaint was registered with the metro, in which it was alleged that a laptop bag containing jewellery items worth Rs. 15 lakh went missing from the baggage scanner machine.