oct 11th: combined Haskell/Scala meetup?

Chris Eidhof

Sep 22, 2010, 5:22:21 AM9/22/10
to Dutch Haskell Users' Group
Hey everyone,

I've been e-mailing with one of the organizers of the Scala meetups. We are thinking of organizing a meetup somewhere in October, I suggested to use our planned date (Oct 11th). What do you think of this?

Also: do you have things you would like to see in such a meetup? Would you like to present something? I'm looking forward to your comments.

-chris

Sean Leather

Sep 22, 2010, 5:41:02 AM9/22/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 11:22, Chris Eidhof wrote:
I've been e-mailing with one of the organizers of the Scala meetups.

Great!

We are thinking of organizing a meetup somewhere in October, I suggested to use our planned date (Oct 11th). What do you think of this?

That's fine with me.

Also: do you have things you would like to see in such a meetup?

I would like to see some cool library designed in Scala that really takes advantage of the language features.

Would you like to present something? I'm looking forward to your comments.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to prepare something. But I think it would be nice for somebody to give a tutorial of something cool in Haskell. Should we expect the Scala enthusiasts to have little to zero Haskell experience?

Regards,
Sean

Tom Lokhorst

Sep 22, 2010, 6:32:17 AM9/22/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
This is a great idea!

I know next to nothing about Scala, but would like to learn something.

Like Sean, I'd like to see some library or application that
demonstrates Scala's unique features.
I.e. Scala's version of the `map` function isn't very interesting, but
I'm interested in what traits are (are they like type classes?), or
how Scala deals with the JVM's type system.

Similarly, a "Haskell 101" introduction to might not be interesting to
people already familiar with functional programming. Rather focus on
some unique aspect of Haskell, like the benefits of lazy evaluation.

I'm looking forward to this meeting!

- Tom

S. Doaitse Swierstra

Sep 22, 2010, 6:38:46 AM9/22/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Maybe http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/jeremy.gibbons/publications/scalagp.pdf

is a nice introduction for people from the ST group,

Doaitse

Chris Eidhof

Sep 22, 2010, 6:43:53 AM9/22/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
I'm emailing with Lieke, a Scala enthusiast, and she suggested we could do code katas in pairs: one Scala programmer and one Haskell programmer. That also sounds like a lot of fun.

-chris

Maarten Hazewinkel

Sep 22, 2010, 7:00:07 AM9/22/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
On 22 Sep 2010, at 11:41, Sean Leather <lea...@cs.uu.nl> wrote:

> Should we expect the Scala enthusiasts to have little to zero Haskell experience?

That will probably vary quite a bit.

Last Scala meet there were a bit over half a dozen people (the hard core I suppose), and we looked at Monads in Scala.
Quite a few people have had at least some exposure to Haskell or a similar language at university.

Maarten

Ben Clifford

Sep 22, 2010, 9:00:34 AM9/22/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com

something that would tempt me to come along, as someone who knows haskell
but not much about scala, would be some kind of "here's a neat thing you
can do in scala that you can't (easily) do in haskell". I don't know what
that thing is, of course ;)

--
http://www.hawaga.org.uk/ben/

S. Doaitse Swierstra

Sep 22, 2010, 9:12:02 AM9/22/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com

On 22 sep 2010, at 15:00, Ben Clifford wrote:

> something that would tempt me to come along, as someone who knows haskell
> but not much about scala, would be some kind of "here's a neat thing you
> can do in scala that you can't (easily) do in haskell". I don't know what
> that thing is, of course ;)

That is exactly what the paper for which i sent the url aims to do,

Doaitse

> --
> http://www.hawaga.org.uk/ben/

noknok

Oct 5, 2010, 11:43:24 AM10/5/10
to Dutch Haskell User Group
Stupid me missed last talk. I need to schedule my next week. Do we
already know the place and time for the meeting on Monday?
Groet, Thomas

On Sep 22, 3:12 pm, "S. Doaitse Swierstra" <doai...@swierstra.net>

Chris Eidhof

Oct 6, 2010, 5:26:03 AM10/6/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

The meeting will be at the Uithof, we haven't decided yet on the exact time (somewhere between 18:00 and 19:00). I'll keep you posted!

Chris Eidhof

Sebastiaan Visser

Oct 6, 2010, 5:40:51 AM10/6/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com, dutc...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 6, 2010, at 11:26, Chris Eidhof <ch...@eidhof.nl> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> The meeting will be at the Uithof, we haven't decided yet on the exact time (somewhere between 18:00 and 19:00). I'll keep you posted!

Although I don't really know whether this question is meant as survey or just a statement, I definitely prefer 19:00. That really would make a trip from work to the Uithof less stressful.

See y'all next week!