Dutch HUG Meeting on Thursday, 14 June

Sean Leather

Jul 4, 2011, 9:31:25 AM7/4/11
to Dutch Haskell Users Group List
As announced earlier, Jasper Van der Jeugt and Stefan Holdermans will give talks.

Time: 19:00

Hope to see you there!

Sean

Tom Lokhorst

Jul 4, 2011, 10:23:59 AM7/4/11
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
This is of course 14 July (not June).

Sean Leather

Jul 4, 2011, 10:29:15 AM7/4/11
to dutc...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 16:23, Tom Lokhorst wrote:
This is of course 14 July (not June).

That's it. I'm retiring!

(I need a time-and-date checker for my emails. Anybody got one handy?)

Sean

Sean Leather

Jul 4, 2011, 10:58:29 AM7/4/11
to Dutch Haskell Users Group List
By the way, the Google Calendar (linked from http://dutchhug.nl/meetings ) has the right date and location. And, thanks to Tom Lokhorst, the website also is correct. It's just the connection between my brain and fingers that malfunctioned.

Sean

noknok

Jul 8, 2011, 10:39:10 PM7/8/11
to Dutch Haskell User Group
Hi there!

Would it be possible for me to add another talk to the list? I have
made some real progress with my CodeDown project [1] and I am keen on
your comments.

On our meeting in April, I introduced it as HaskellDown, a document
generator for Haskell using Markdown as both the syntax for embedded
documentation and the (intermediate) target language.
Meanwhile, this document generator has evolved into a document
generator generator: just add the comment symbol for (inline or block)
comments for some new programming language and the script or re-
compiled codedown application provides a very versatile program
generator for all kinds of document formats.

And on top of that, I also realized, that the process can be reversed
just as easily: CodeDown not only converts source code into documents,
it is also able to take the documentation as the primary format and
the programming code as the secondary. In other words, it also is a
(pre)processor for literal programming. And again, in (virtually)
every programming language! In Haskell, this turns out to be almost
identical to the "Bird tracks" [2] syntax!

I could try to keep it short. Or should I postpone it (and keep it
short, anyway)? What do you think?

Looking forward to see and here from you
Thomas

[1] http://www.bucephalus.org/CodeDown/CodeDown.html
[2] http://www.haskell.org/onlinereport/literate.html

Sean Leather

Jul 11, 2011, 6:19:03 AM7/11/11
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

Would it be possible for me to add another talk to the list? I have
made some real progress with my CodeDown project [1] and I am keen on
your comments.

[...]

I could try to keep it short. Or should I postpone it (and keep it
short, anyway)? What do you think?

I'm inclined to think it would be better to postpone your talk until the next meeting. There are a couple of reasons for this.

In the past, when we have done 3 talks, it felt rushed (to me, at least, and to others I've talked to). I don't want to be glancing at my watch often to be sure we have time for everybody.

Stefan's last talk yielded a lot of discussion. I got the impression that many people enjoyed the discussion as much as the talk itself. I suspect we'll have the same result again with his talk as well as with Jasper's. I would like to leave plenty of time for such discussion.

I'm, of course, open to other suggestions about this.

Regards,
Sean

Ben Clifford

Jul 11, 2011, 7:04:51 AM7/11/11
to dutc...@googlegroups.com

> In the past, when we have done 3 talks, it felt rushed (to me, at least, and
> to others I've talked to). I don't want to be glancing at my watch often to
> be sure we have time for everybody.

yeah, two talks in one evening is enough for me... its not like the
dutchhug programme is stuffed full of talks.

noknok

Jul 11, 2011, 1:35:52 PM7/11/11
to Dutch Haskell User Group
Hi Sean, hi Ben,

Thank you for your reactions. Sure, we shouldn't kill the event with
too many talks. No problem.

Looking forward to see you on Thursday,
Thomas