mini hackathon

Chris Eidhof

May 10, 2010, 9:12:59 AM5/10/10
to Dutch Haskell Users' Group
Hey all,

What do you think about a dutch hackathon at the end of June? Not a global hackathon, just a small local one. I have some time to help organize it. Maybe you can discuss it at the next meeting. Is there anyone who can help find sponsors and/or a location? I guess the location might be the hardest part.

I'd like to hear who's interested, if it's enough people we should just do it.

-chris

Jochem Berndsen

May 10, 2010, 9:24:49 AM5/10/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Chris Eidhof <ch...@eidhof.nl> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> What do you think about a dutch hackathon at the end of June? Not a global hackathon, just a small local one. I have some time to help organize it. Maybe you can discuss it at the next meeting. Is there anyone who can help find sponsors and/or a location? I guess the location might be the hardest part.
>
> I'd like to hear who's interested, if it's enough people we should just do it.

I am probably interested, as long as it's on Friday/Saturday/Sunday
(the weekend).

Regards, Jochem

José Pedro Magalhães

May 10, 2010, 9:33:34 AM5/10/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great to me.

Pedro

Sean Leather

May 10, 2010, 9:43:56 AM5/10/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 15:12, Chris Eidhof wrote:
What do you think about a dutch hackathon at the end of June? Not a global hackathon, just a small local one.

I'll be in South Africa at that time; so, I won't be able to... Wait, if I joined you on IRC/Skype, then it *would* be a global hackathon! No, no, can't do that. I'll be too busy capturing rhinos.

Sean

Jan de Wit

May 10, 2010, 9:49:47 AM5/10/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

> What do you think about a dutch hackathon at the end of June? Not a global hackathon, just a small local one. I have some time to help organize it. Maybe you can discuss it at the next meeting. Is there anyone who can help find sponsors and/or a location? I guess the location might be the hardest part.
>
> I'd like to hear who's interested, if it's enough people we should just do it.
Sounds like a great idea! That way I finally can get some *serious*
hasking done. I agree with Jochem on the Fri-Sun range, as long as
it's not the weekend of the 12/13th June I think I'll be able to
attend.
However, I don't think I'll be able to convince my company to provide
the space :-(

Cheers, Jan de Wit

Tom Lokhorst

May 10, 2010, 9:57:52 AM5/10/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Great idea!

Somewhat related perhaps:

The ICFP Contest 2010 will run from June 18–21.

http://www.icfpconference.org/contest.html

- Tom

Stefan Holdermans

May 10, 2010, 10:12:55 AM5/10/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

> What do you think about a dutch hackathon at the end of June? Not a global hackathon, just a small local one. I have some time to help organize it. Maybe you can discuss it at the next meeting. Is there anyone who can help find sponsors and/or a location? I guess the location might be the hardest part.
>
> I'd like to hear who's interested, if it's enough people we should just do it.

Sounds like a great idea. I'd surely be interested in participating.

Cheers,

Stefan

Chris Eidhof

May 12, 2010, 12:47:25 PM5/12/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com, dutc...@googlegroups.com
I've sent an email to setup Utrecht, a temporary new media lab to see
if they can provide us with a location (it's at de Neude in Utrecht,
very central).

Chris

On 10 mei 2010, at 16:12, Stefan Holdermans <ste...@vectorfabrics.com>

Chris Eidhof

May 14, 2010, 3:49:40 AM5/14/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Could everybody who wants to join please fill in the poll so that we can pick a date? Note that the days point to the saturdays in the weekends, but I guess the hackathon will/could be from friday afternoon until sunday evening.

http://www.doodle.com/ghxne6mpdiw8gegd

-chris

P.S.: I've talked with the setup people, they are a bit reluctant because we're not cross-discipline, but they're not principally against it either. I'll talk some more with them.
P.P.S.: It turns out my only completely free weekend is 11-13.

On 12 mei 2010, at 18:47, Chris Eidhof wrote:

> I've sent an email to setup Utrecht, a temporary new media lab to see if they can provide us with a location (it's at de Neude in Utrecht, very central).
>
> Chris
>
> On 10 mei 2010, at 16:12, Stefan Holdermans <ste...@vectorfabrics.com> wrote:
>
>> Chris,
>>
>>> What do you think about a dutch hackathon at the end of June? Not a global hackathon, just a small local one. I have some time to help organize it. Maybe you can discuss it at the next meeting. Is there anyone who can help find sponsors and/or a location? I guess the location might be the hardest part.
>>>
>>> I'd like to hear who's interested, if it's enough people we should just do it.
>>
>> Sounds like a great idea. I'd surely be interested in participating.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Stefan

Stefan Holdermans

May 14, 2010, 4:13:05 AM5/14/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
> Could everybody who wants to join please fill in the poll so that we can pick a date? Note that the days point to the saturdays in the weekends, but I guess the hackathon will/could be from friday afternoon until sunday evening.

Note that the deadline for the Haskell Symposium is June 14th.

Chris Eidhof

May 16, 2010, 12:11:34 PM5/16/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
It looks like the 26th is the best weekend for the hackathon. However, it turns out I can't make it that weekend, so it would be nice if there are other people who can organize it. Any volunteers?

-chris

Jochem Berndsen

May 17, 2010, 6:36:48 AM5/17/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
I'd be willing to help, provided that somebody with some hackathon
experience can help me. (I never went to one myself.)

Jochem

Sean Leather

May 25, 2010, 4:59:32 AM5/25/10
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Chris Eidhof wrote:
It looks like the 26th is the best weekend for the hackathon. However, it turns out I can't make it that weekend, so it would be nice if there are other people who can organize it. Any volunteers?

I think it's actually more important that somebody be available to plan it than people be available to attend. If you plan it, somebody will come. If nobody plans it, there's nothing to come to.

Since you initiated the plans and nobody else seems to want to completely take up the reigns, would you still be willing to arrange it for the weekend in which you're free?

Jochem Berndsen wrote:
I'd be willing to help, provided that somebody with some hackathon experience can help me. (I never went to one myself.)

Unfortunately, I am not around for most of June, so I can't help. Perhaps you can still work with Chris if he wants to organize it.

The arrangements for a hackathon do not require much. You just need space for programming and an internet connection. In general, the attendees bring the agenda.

Regards,
Sean