April Flowers Meeting: 13th at 19:00

Sean Leather

Apr 4, 2011, 1:45:38 PM4/4/11
to Dutch Haskell Users Group List
Our next meeting will be held on April 13, 2011, at 19:00 in room 079 (ground floor) of the Buys Ballot Laboratorium (BBL) [1] at Utrecht University.

The night will be very tool-oriented:

  • The Bucephalus (a.k.a. Thomas) makes his mark with ElephantMark, a simple PHP documentation tool with Markdown markup.
  • Dirk Hünniger conveys to us the translation of Wikipedia articles to LaTeX with wb2pdf.
  • Stefan Holdermans impresses us with his Caml knowledge while describing Vector Fabrics' tools for pattern-match analysis.

Afterwards, as usual, we'll head over to The Basket [2] to swap war stories and catch up with old hackers.

Hope to see you there!

Regards,
Sean

[1] http://www.cs.uu.nl/docs/reach/bbl.php
[2] http://thebasket.nl/

noknok

Apr 5, 2011, 7:57:25 AM4/5/11
to Dutch Haskell User Group
I, too, have good news and good news.

(1.)
I am better again. In one of my paranoid and megalomania episodes I
called Sean an evil empire and compared him to Darth Vader.
Afterwards, I was afraid that he fled the country and now I am glad
and happy to see, that he didn't. You all know from experience, how
endangered these frustrated and socially deprived Haskellers are.
After having been in their cave behind the flickering screen for too
long, they tend to lose it. Right? I suppose, the prospect of meeting
real human beings again, soon, has brought me back to reality.

I can also assure you now, that I won't scare you by appearing dressed
up. I recall, that there always has been a lack of feminine beauty and
female intelligence in these cold and cruel monadic mountain heights.
Our meetings seem to be as inviting as a "gentlemen" sign on a toilet
door. No wonder, we couldn't compete with Scala and that even our
strongest heroes collapse on womens day and run back to their wives
and mothers. Right?

(2.)
There is also some information in this email.
Indeed, some weeks ago, I had the idea of using a lightweight markup
language, namely Markdown [1], for literal programming in PHP and I
called it "ElepantMark" [2]. But this approach can be generalized for
all mainstream programming languages and is especially useful for
people that need to use several ones simultaneously, because it means
a huge simplification and elegant standardization of the whole matter.
In preparation of my talk I thought, to rename the general idea
"CodeDown", and that "Php(Code)Down" should be the CodeDown for PHP,
"Python(Code)Down" be the CodeDown for Python etc. Of course, my talk
will focus on "Haskell(Code)Down", together with an according
conversion tool, written in Haskell.

(3.)
Dirk and I intend to meet an hour before our meeting, maybe for diner,
but neither of us knows Utrecht. We would be delighted, if you would
join us. Is there a nice place to recommend, maybe close to the BBL?
(I personally found the Pizza place prior to our joined Scala meeting
a bit disappointing, where we had to queue for the pizza and ate on
the street.)

I am looking forward to April 13!

Thank you very much, Sean, for making our meeting possible.
Please, let me make it up to you with at least one beer. ;-)

So long, Thomas

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown
[2] http://www-bucephalus-org.blogspot.com/2011/01/elephantmark.html