March Madness Meeting?

Sean Leather

Feb 24, 2011, 4:44:41 AM2/24/11
to Sjoerd Visscher, Martijn van Steenbergen, Dutch Haskell Users Group List
Sjoerd, Martijn:

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 23:54, I wrote:
There were mildly placed suggestions about possibly, perhaps, potentially having the next HUGgers meeting in The Hague. Currently, the next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, 8 March, 2011. I humbly beseech my Haskelly friends in The Hague to decide on a place and if that date works out for them.

Any thoughts on this, yet?

At least one person has bemoaned the choice of this date, being International Women's Day (in some countries [1]), as he is expected to celebrate it with his wife. Ironically, he also missed the last meeting for a similar reason... (Why would you celebrate a holiday with a loved one when you could go to a Dutch HUG meeting instead? I don't get it.)

What say you?

Sean

[1] http://www.earthcalendar.net/_php/lookup.php?mode=date&m=03&d=08&y=2011

Ben Clifford

Feb 24, 2011, 5:59:09 AM2/24/11
to Dutch Haskell Users Group List

earlier rather than later would suit me as I'm going away on the 9th for a
while.

--
http://www.hawaga.org.uk/ben/

noknok

Mar 4, 2011, 4:50:16 PM3/4/11
to Dutch Haskell User Group
Dear Haskell friends,

What about our meeting on Tuesday? Are we going to meet? In The Hague?

Last month I already threatened to bother you with a talk on my latest
Haskell pet. And still, I have the illusion that it somehow might be
of general interest. It is really tiny, and it would be a talk more on
culture and less on code. And if it helps for Women's Day, I could
dress up for my presentation.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if you would decide to do something
else. I can save the preparation time and appreciate the good company
in a pub, in which case I would appear as a man.

Please, sent your comments!

Martijn van Steenbergen

Mar 6, 2011, 11:23:28 AM3/6/11
to dutc...@googlegroups.com, noknok
Hello fellow programmers,

Apologies for the (too) late response! But today I have been visiting
some pubs/cafes to find one where a group of 5-15 people can casually
walk in without making the staff nervous. I've found one: Caf�-Brasserie
Dudok, http://www.dudok.nl/index.php?pageID=140

Whether we meet on Tuesday or another day, I'd like to leave Sean to decide.

Groetjes,

Martijn.

Sean Leather

Mar 6, 2011, 11:50:12 AM3/6/11
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 17:23, Martijn van Steenbergen wrote:
Whether we meet on Tuesday or another day, I'd like to leave Sean to decide.

I don't think I should be the final decision-maker here. I'm currently pretty busy, so I unfortunately won't be able to attend.

The default can perhaps be to leave the calendar date (Tuesday) and time (19:00) unchanged. Or, if people speak up, there might be a consensus built to change the date. Consensus-building usually takes time, though, and the default is only two days away. If anyone listened to me (and they probably shouldn't), I would leave it at the default.

Regards,
Sean

S. Doaitse Swierstra

Mar 6, 2011, 2:12:51 PM3/6/11
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
I will not be able to attend; (dinner with my mother who happens to be in utrecht that evening),

 Doaitse

Martijn van Steenbergen

Mar 6, 2011, 3:42:47 PM3/6/11
On 3/6/11 17:23, Martijn van Steenbergen wrote:
> Hello fellow programmers,
>
> Apologies for the (too) late response! But today I have been visiting
> some pubs/cafes to find one where a group of 5-15 people can casually
> walk in without making the staff nervous. I've found one: Caf�-Brasserie
> Dudok, http://www.dudok.nl/index.php?pageID=140

I should add that the caf� has a nice atmosphere and is within walking
distance from Den Haag Centraal (10-15 mins).

Martijn.

Sjoerd Visscher

Mar 6, 2011, 5:54:01 PM3/6/11
to dutc...@googlegroups.com

On Mar 6, 2011, at 9:42 PM, Martijn van Steenbergen wrote:

> On 3/6/11 17:23, Martijn van Steenbergen wrote:
>> Hello fellow programmers,
>>
>> Apologies for the (too) late response! But today I have been visiting
>> some pubs/cafes to find one where a group of 5-15 people can casually

>> walk in without making the staff nervous. I've found one: Café-Brasserie
>> Dudok, http://www.dudok.nl/index.php?pageID=140
>
> I should add that the café has a nice atmosphere and is within walking distance from Den Haag Centraal (10-15 mins).

When there are elections, there's always a political party that goes there for the results. With the elections last week it was the SP.
A very nice place to go to with DutchHug.

Sjoerd

José Pedro Magalhães

Mar 7, 2011, 1:49:29 AM3/7/11
to dutc...@googlegroups.com, Martijn van Steenbergen
Hi all,

I am always busy on Tuesday evening, so unfortunately I can't attend this time.

Cheers,
Pedro

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 17:23, Martijn van Steenbergen <mar...@van.steenbergen.nl> wrote:
Hello fellow programmers,

Apologies for the (too) late response! But today I have been visiting some pubs/cafes to find one where a group of 5-15 people can casually walk in without making the staff nervous. I've found one: Café-Brasserie Dudok, http://www.dudok.nl/index.php?pageID=140

On 3/4/11 22:50, noknok wrote:
Dear Haskell friends,

What about our meeting on Tuesday? Are we going to meet? In The Hague?

Last month I already threatened to bother you with a talk on my latest
Haskell pet. And still, I have the illusion that it somehow might be
of general interest. It is really tiny, and it would be a talk more on
culture and less on code. And if it helps for Women's Day, I could
dress up for my presentation.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if you would decide to do something
else. I can save the preparation time and appreciate the good company
in a pub, in which case I would appear as a man.

Please, sent your comments!

Martijn van Steenbergen

Mar 7, 2011, 4:21:27 AM3/7/11
to dutc...@googlegroups.com, Sean Leather
On 3/6/11 17:50, Sean Leather wrote:
> The default can perhaps be to leave the calendar date (Tuesday) and time
> (19:00) unchanged. Or, if people speak up, there might be a consensus
> built to change the date. Consensus-building usually takes time, though,
> and the default is only two days away. If anyone listened to me (and
> they probably shouldn't), I would leave it at the default.

It seems there are enough people attending for it to be a successful
evening. I suggest we stick to Tuesday. (Sorry, Ben.)

Thomas, the caf� isn't the best place to give a talk. Let's save your
presentation for another time when we meet in the UU library again. If
there's anyone else who'd like to give a talk, it could be next time.
(Two presentations seems like a good threshold.)

Tom, Sjoerd and I will have dinner at Dudok too and would love it if you
joined us! We're meeting there at 18:30.

Groetjes,

Martijn.

noknok

Mar 7, 2011, 8:12:56 AM3/7/11
to Dutch Haskell User Group
Hi guys,

Thank you. Yes, Martijn, I agree, let us postpone the talks for a
better occasion and more suitable location.

I still wonder why we meet in The Hague in the guts of world politics.
Are we on a new secret mission now? Wow! It certainly is about time
that politics becomes functional! And there is food at 18:30? Yes,
Sir, you can count on me, Sir! I suppose, the password is "Haskell"?

See you then,
Thomas

On Mar 7, 10:21 am, Martijn van Steenbergen

noknok

Mar 7, 2011, 10:06:57 AM3/7/11
to Dutch Haskell User Group
... o yes, and maybe it is important to add something else, now that
we are talking war and politics.

Don't ask Sean to make rules and decisions! Of course, he is feeling
insecure, after all what happened to Mubarak, Ghaddafi, and his other
colleges. Now, he is even afraid to come to the meeting personally.

Let me tell you, that I love my current Haskell leaders and the way
they run my country. Be warned to start a rebellion here, because I
will be loyal and hunt down any opposition!

noknok

Mar 7, 2011, 5:29:19 PM3/7/11
to Dutch Haskell User Group
... sorry, guys, that I can't keep my mouth shut. But I am warming up
for tomorrow and just read the news, that Berlusconi got another
facelift. There you see, how it fucks up a country, when the dictator
is object-oriented.
Oh please, let us save the world and let us start our functional
conspiracy tomorrow in the lion's den! Please!

Remi Turk

Mar 8, 2011, 5:38:59 AM3/8/11
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
(resend as google groups apparently doesn't like my other mail address)

Luckily, we live in a pure country in which installing a new
government still leaves the old version around, at least until it
is garbage collected. Yay for persistence!

I'll probably be there tomorrow at 18.30 too, by the way.

Remi

Stefan Holdermans

Mar 8, 2011, 5:41:50 AM3/8/11
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Remi,

> I'll probably be there tomorrow at 18.30 too, by the way.

The meeting is today, so that doesn't make too much sense... ;-)

Cheers,

Stefan

Remi Turk

Mar 8, 2011, 5:48:05 AM3/8/11
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 11:41:50AM +0100, Stefan Holdermans wrote:
> Remi,
>
> > I'll probably be there tomorrow at 18.30 too, by the way.
>
> The meeting is today, so that doesn't make too much sense... ;-)

Ah, so much for relative times when you're resending a mail a day later ;)
But thanks for the warning anyway!

Remi

noknok

Mar 8, 2011, 10:35:17 AM3/8/11
to Dutch Haskell User Group
I am still stuck on my work and just found out from Reisinformatie
that the trip to the Dudok takes at least 1:30 from my place in
Amsterdam. I doubt if I can make it at all, so please don't wait for
me.
And don't you listen to Remi, who is happy being a garbage collector.
I trust, you go for no less than world domination tonight, while I am
busi with the boring details of my dull existence.
May the force of functions be with you!
Thomas