Cycling Documentaries & Two inquires

1 view

barry hamilton

Nov 23, 2009, 9:32:38 AM11/23/09
to Dublin Critical Mass
Hey Folks,

Working on completing documentary series (two hours about cycling
issues in Dublin). I am going to organize a benefit gig to raise funds
to distribute a few hundred copies of documentary, on critical mass
(give to car drivers, cyclists etc..., and other bike events in
February. The plan is to have a DVD with the following documentaries
and shorts:

The idea of the documentary series is

- One Less Car (activist cycling video, interviewed a few people in
seomra for this one, who are on this list)
- Two Wheeled City - An academic look at city planning in relation to
cycling
- Travel Documentary: DCC cycling officer travels to london and
Amsterdam to compare Ireland's cycling facilities to these countries
- 10 short fiction pieces about cycling in Dublin
- DVD menu of cycling facts

The documentary series is being made by DCTV, released under creative
commons 3.0, people are free to copy and distro video. It will be
available to stream and download as well online

Main question now being, is there a place critical mass is starting
same place every month, or a link to blog or website where people can
find out starting point of future critical mass?

Any one on list in band who wants to play? (for free, expences paid) ,
I will confirmed the date before end of week

Launching series in February (T.B.C) with a screening, and DVDs will
available, videos released online.

barra

Conor Murphy

Nov 25, 2009, 12:42:27 AM11/25/09
to dublin-cri...@googlegroups.com
Hey Barra.

Im not when or where the mass is happening next, but its not happening during the winter anyway.
I can talk to you more about it, but its not active at the moment anywho...

Conor

Nov 25, 2009, 9:23:20 AM11/25/09
to dublin-cri...@googlegroups.com
Hi all at Critical Mass and Barra.
I second what Amanda is saying, I thought it was to be on the 27th of November. I was waiting for Feedback on Advertising the  event  ETC, I know it is not  on in December but thought it was going ahead  on the 27th of November.

That is  OK I have no problem with that because the Weather is very unpredictable it is probably better that it is posponed to the New Year anyway because of possible   high Winds.

Conor Murphy

Nov 25, 2009, 11:29:03 AM11/25/09
to dublin-cri...@googlegroups.com
Please excuse me. Im actually up to my eyeballs and a bit out of my element. I actually forgot it was going ahead in Nov. Apologies.

Are people still planning on taking to the streets this month.

Nov 25, 2009, 5:58:01 PM11/25/09
to Dublin Critical Mass
Hi all,

I'm in Donegal for 5 weeks so won't be around for CM this Friday, but
I'd say go ahead whoever can. I feel it's important to continue it
every last Friday at a regular time and place so it's open to anyone
who's around to join in whenever they can.

I'll work at advertising CM in Jan & Feb so yes to winter CM: Brace
yerselves for some chill, crisp cycles. It'll be great.

Maybe there'll only be a handful of us, but as Eoin's article said
each CM can be different and it's just what the mass makes it.

To answer original questions I would posit that CM is starting from
Fusilier's Arch St. Stephen's Green at 6 pm last Friday of every
month. Meeting at 17.45 start the cycle at 18.00. That's what I gather
the position is now, what do ye all think?

A CM blog or website would be great, but I don't think there's any
going yet.

The documentaries sound brilliant, maybe we can tie in the Feb CM with
a viewing of a DCTV cycling docu?

Hope Friday goes well, post some pics and see ye all in January,

Beir bua, Lara

On Nov 25, 4:59 pm, john power <jeanclaude...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Conor ,Please make a statement is the Mass still on for 27thNOV , will
> People please give their Opinion do they want to still do it. We have only 2
> Days left for decision.
>
> If not then Announce it on this site and also on Indymedia that it is called
> off. This is what happened last time a lot  of People did not know it was
> on  and so only 15 turned up. A few People where interested in Dublin
> Cycling Campaign Group about our last C .Mass and I spoke about it  for a
> few minutes at the  meeting. People will turn up at St Stephens Green not
> knowing it is called off.  If it is on then I am  going to turn up for it
> but we need Feedback.
>

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 2:23 PM, john power <jeanclaude...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all at Critical Mass and Barra.
> > I second what Amanda is saying, I thought it was to be on the 27th of
> > November. I was waiting for Feedback on Advertising the  event  ETC, I know
> > it is not  on in December but thought it was going ahead  on the 27th of
> > November.
>
> > That is  OK I have no problem with that because the Weather is very
> > unpredictable it is probably better that it is posponed to the New Year
> > anyway because of possible   high Winds.
>
> > On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Amanda Webb <hamperl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> When was it decided not to have a mass this month?  Communication
> >> would be great!!

> >> anywho...

eoin lawless

Nov 25, 2009, 7:23:04 PM11/25/09
to dublin-cri...@googlegroups.com
I agree, whoever wants to keep going with it should keep going, the meeting place and time are the same. People are put off by the weather and doesn't seem like much has gone into advertising this one, so don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed, but if people are up for doing it, there is no reason why they shouldn't, if it's pissing rain, I'll probably give it a miss, if the weather is dryish, I will most likely be there...

john power

Nov 27, 2009, 5:17:54 PM11/27/09
to dublin-cri...@googlegroups.com
I arrived at 5.30pm Today 27th  November at St Stephens Green and Waited until 6.01 pm and nobody else turned up for Critical Mass. So I just went off back to O'Connell Street and had a look at the Shops and went Home at 8.30 pm.  At least it got me  out of the House. It was a fine Night  Dry and a bit Frosty but Perfect for The Critical Mass that never was.

It is no point Arranging a Critical  Mass that nobody is  going to turn up to.

Amanda Webb

Nov 27, 2009, 5:27:27 PM11/27/09
to dublin-cri...@googlegroups.com
I think the problem might have been the lack of advertising. I was
all set, then thought it was off so made other plans, then it was back
on. Lets just throw ourselves into publicising it for the newyear.

Amanda

barry hamilton

Nov 30, 2009, 7:02:59 AM11/30/09
to Dublin Critical Mass
Could do screening of documentary "one Less car" at end of january .
Is it going ahead, even if if sounds like only 20 people turning up
this month?

On Nov 27, 10:27 pm, Amanda Webb <hamperl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the problem might have been the lack of  advertising.  I was
> all set, then thought it was off so made other plans, then it was back
> on.  Lets just throw ourselves into publicising it for the newyear.
>
> Amanda
>
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:17 PM, john power <jeanclaude...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I arrived at 5.30pm Today 27th  November at St Stephens Green and Waited
> > until 6.01 pm and nobody else turned up for Critical Mass. So I just went
> > off back to O'Connell Street and had a look at the Shops and went Home at
> > 8.30 pm.  At least it got me  out of the House. It was a fine Night  Dry and
> > a bit Frosty but Perfect for The Critical Mass that never was.
>
> > It is no point Arranging a Critical  Mass that nobody is  going to turn up
> > to.
>
> > On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 12:23 AM, eoin lawless <smartboy...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> I agree, whoever wants to keep going with it should keep going, the
> >> meeting place and time are the same. People are put off by the weather and
> >> doesn't seem like much has gone into advertising this one, so don't expect
> >> too much and you won't be disappointed, but if people are up for doing it,
> >> there is no reason why they shouldn't, if it's pissing rain, I'll probably
> >> give it a miss, if the weather is dryish, I will most likely be there...

eoin lawless

Nov 30, 2009, 9:47:08 AM11/30/09
to dublin-cri...@googlegroups.com
This month the last Friday falls on the 25th, don't reckon there'll be a turn out for it.

barry hamilton

Nov 30, 2009, 11:39:33 AM11/30/09
to Dublin Critical Mass
I would not except big turn out either. I