Sharekhan Investor's Eye dated August 11, 2006

Sunil

Aug 11, 2006, 12:00:30 PM8/11/06
to dps...@googlegroups.com, EquityRese...@googlegroups.com

Investor's Eye
[August 11, 2006] Please see the attachment for details
Summary of Contents

PULSE TRACK

  • June 2006 IIP grows at 9.6% ahead of expectations

STOCK UPDATE

Gateway Distriparks
Cluster: Cannonball
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs250
Current market price: Rs169

Price target lowered to Rs250

Result highlights

  • Gateway Distriparks Ltd (GDL) reported a consolidated net profit of Rs19.8 crore for Q1FY2007. The net profit is marginally below our expectation primarily because of a lower-than-expected realisation per twenty feet equivalent unit (TEU) during the quarter.
  • The consolidated revenues for the quarter stood flat at Rs34.5 crore as the realisation per TEU dropped by 5.6% to Rs6,012. However the 6% increase in the volume restricted the drop in the revenues.
  • The realisation per TEU fell as the share of the container freight stations (CFSs) at Chennai and Vizag in the total volume increased. Chnennai and Vizag have much lower realisation as compared to that of Rs7,000 per TEU for the Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) CFS. The realsiation at even the JNPT CFS fell marginally.
  • The operating profit margin (OPM) for the quarter declined by 4.2% points to 56.5%, as the realisation dropped. The fall in the OPM coupled with flat revenues resulted in a 7% drop in the operating profit for the quarter.
  • However an eight-fold increase in the other income (on account of the investment of the proceeds from a global depository receipt [GDR] issue in bank deposits) helped the earnings before interest, depreciation, tax and amortisation (EBIDTA) to jump up by 20% year on year (yoy) to Rs26 crore.
  • The company's interest expenses declined by 39.7% as it repaid a substantial part of its debt. The net profit for the quarter jumped by 15% to Rs19.8 crore.
  • The quarter saw the launch of the rail container freight (RCF) service in May. Further GDL is planning to ramp up the capacity of its first ICD at Garhi and set up a second rail-linked ICD at Faridabad. This will enable GDL to be a significant player in the rail freight container business that offers integrated port based logistic services.

Jaiprakash Associates

Cluster: Ugly Duckling
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs562
Current market price: Rs415

A mixed bag

Result highlights

  • Jaiprakash Associates Ltd's (JAL) Q1FY2007 operating profit at Rs213 crore is ahead of our expectations; however a higher tax charge has muted the net profit to Rs92 crore.
  • JAL registered a growth of 10% in its revenues and the same stood at Rs895 crore for the quarter, mainly driven by a 32% growth in the cement division.
  • The operating profit grew by an impressive 37.4% to Rs213 crore, as the operating profit margins (OPMs) expanded by 480 basis points to 23.8%.
  • The earnings before interest and tax (EBIT) margins of the cement division jumped by 900 basis points to 25.7% during the quarter whereas the EBIT margins of the construction business fell by 370 basis points to 20%.
  • Overall the profit before tax (PBT) grew by 47% year on year (yoy) to Rs141 crore. However the net profit registered only a meagre growth of 10% to Rs92 crore on account of a jump in the tax rate from 13% to 34.5%.

Alphageo India

Cluster: Emerging Star
Price target: Book Profit
Current market price: Rs155

Book profits
We had initiated coverage on Alphageo India on December 27, 2005 at a price of Rs81 with a price target of Rs135. The stock has reached our price target and we recommend investors to book profit at these levels.

Sun Pharmaceutical Industries
Cluster: Ugly Duckling
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs1,000
Current market price: Rs807

Price target revised to Rs1,000

Result highlights

  • Sun Pharmaceuticals' consolidated net sales grew by 31.1% year on year (yoy) to Rs511.6 crore in Q1FY2007. The strong growth was driven by an increase of 59.3% in formulation exports and a 15.5% growth in the domestic formulation business.
  • Caraco Pharma's performance was impressive in view of the fierce competition in the US market. It recorded sales of $24.8 million and a net profit of $5.1 million.
  • Lower raw material costs boosted the company's operating profit margin (OPM), which expanded by 260 basis points to 35.4% in Q1FY2007, causing the operating profit (OP) to increase by 41.4% to Rs181.1 crore.
  • The company's profit after tax (PAT) increased by a strong 29.9% yoy to Rs176.7 crore in the quarter, despite a lower other income, a higher depreciation and a higher share of minority interest.
  • At the current market price of Rs807, Sun Pharma is valued at 23.6x FY2007 and 20.0x FY2008 fully diluted earnings. The valuations, we believe, do not fully capture the value that Sun Pharma could command with a ramp-up in its overseas business, continued momentum in the domestic formulation space, a de-risked business model and the positive contributions of its acquisitions. In view of the consistent growth and sustainable margins, we remain positive on the company's future prospects and maintain our Buy recommendation with a revised price target of Rs1,000.
Regards,
The Sharekhan Research Team
myac...@sharekhan.com

FREE FirstStep Seminar! Book your seat TODAY!
To buy and sell shares, log on to www.sharekhan.com or call our DialnTrade unit on 1-800 227050/ 30307600.
For account related queries call our Customer Service cell on 1-800-22-7500/ 39707500.

Investor's Eye-Aug11.pdf