Sharekhan Investor's Eye dated June 15, 2006

Sunil

Jun 15, 2006, 10:06:48 PM6/15/06
to dps...@googlegroups.com, EquityRese...@googlegroups.com

Investor's Eye
[June 15, 2006] Please see the attachment for details
Summary of Contents

STOCK UPDATE

Bharat Bijlee
Cluster: Apple Green
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs1,900
Current market price: Rs826

Inside the annual report
At the current market price of Rs826 Bharat Bijlee is trading at 10.3x its FY2007 earnings and 8.4x its FY2008 earnings. Even on a comparative basis BBL's valuations are reasonable. Further BBL has cash and cash equivalents of Rs260 per share, which provides a decent margin of safety. (However with the constant change in the stock prices this margin of safety keeps fluctuating). We believe with the positive outlook for the power sector, a strong earnings growth of 31% compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) and an improvement in return ratios, the stock is trading at attractive valuations. We maintain our Buy recommendation on the stock with a price target of Rs1,900.

SECTOR UPDATE

Information technology

Growing appetite for acquisitions
Given the robust demand scenario, there has been a considerable improvement in the growth outlook for the Indian information technology (IT) service companies. This is clearly reflected in the impressive growth guidance given by leading offshore vendors like Infosys Technologies (30%) and Cognizant (47%), and the aggressive recruitment targets set by the front-line domestic IT service companies during the current fiscal.

But despite the expectations of a robust organic growth over the next couple of years, there has been a heightened focus on inorganic initiatives by the Indian IT service companies. Among the front-line companies Wipro and Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) have been more active than their peers. But the strategy to aggressively scout for acquisition is not limited to the front-line IT companies. Some of the mid-sized companies like KPIT Cummins, 3i Infotech and Subex Systems have also identified inorganic initiatives as an important part of their overall growth strategy and announced a slew of acquisitions in the past few quarters.

Telecom

Bharti stays ahead
Though the suggested acquisition cost of $718 per subscriber is at a premium to the prevailing valuations of both Bharti Airtel and Reliance Communication Venture (RCVL), it is at a discount of 21% to EV/subscriber of around $910 paid by Vodafone for the acquisition of around a 10.05% stake in Bharti in November 2005. The premium commanded by Bharti seems to be justified given its leadership position driven by the company's ability to continuously improve its market share, pan India presence and investments in long distance (national and international) telephony network and operations.

ANALYST MEET

Asahi India Glass

Improving product mix
Though the margins of Asahi India Glass would be under pressure as a result of capacity overhang and rise in input prices, we expect that the improved product mix and higher exports growth shall mitigate the pricing pressures. Also, the company's strategy to move towards the more value added products seems to be right and should result in greater benefits over the long term. At the current market price of Rs77, the stock is quoting at 12.5x its FY2006 earnings.

Regards,
The Sharekhan Research Team
myac...@sharekhan.com

FREE FirstStep Seminar! Book your seat TODAY!
To buy and sell shares, log on to www.sharekhan.com or call our DialnTrade unit on 1-800 227050/ 30307600.
For account related queries call our Customer Service cell on 1-800-22-7500/ 39707500.

Investor's Eye-June15.pdf