Edelweiss - Event update: HOV Services acquires Lason (Analyst meet) - Maintain Sell

Deadpresident

Apr 19, 2007, 2:56:08 AM4/19/07
to dps...@googlegroups.com

HOV Services (HOVS IN, INR 233, Maintain SELL)

We attended the analyst meet of HOV Services yesterday. Key takeaways are:

HOV Services has funded the 'Lason' acquisition of USD 148 mn by:

  • USD 63 mn by issuing 10 mn Class A units (preference capital) at USD 6.32 per unit
  • USD 125 mn debt

The company has given the following guidance for the combined entity:

FY08

FY09

Revenues (INR mn)

8,600

11,195

EBITDA (INR mn)

861

1,466

EBITDA %

10%

13%

Net profit (INR mn)

344

670

Net profit %

4%

6%

Source: Company

  • We believe the guidance given by the company is stretched for the following reasons:

    • With sales of USD 157 mn in 2006, Lason has been growing at ~5% since the past 2 years at EBITDA and net margins of 10% and 5% respectively. Interest cost of ~INR 378 mn (USD 9 mn) will further depress net margins.
    • The company expects sales to grow by 30% in FY09 and margins to swell by 300 bps on the back of synergies arising out of the consolidation. With different service offerings and clientele, we do not see much synergies flowing from this acquisition.

  • Further, Lason was acquired by Charterhouse Group, Inc in 2004 at a cost of USD 30 mn (4.5x CY04 sales of USD 140 mn). With CY06 sales of USD 157 mn and similar margins as in 2004, HOV Services acquired Lason for USD 148 mn, i.e. ~1x CY06 sales. Hence we believe the acquisition is expensive.

  • Probable equity dilution and higher debt would depress return ratios significantly over the next two years.

We maintain our SELL recommendation

Regards,

Sanjeev Rohra