Fwd: Sharekhan Investor's Eye dated May 24, 2006

Sunil

May 24, 2006, 10:33:11 PM5/24/06
to dps...@googlegroups.com

Investor's Eye
[May 24, 2006] Please see the attachment for details
Summary of Contents

STOCK UPDATE

Punjab National Bank
Cluster: Ugly Duckling
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs500
Current market price: Rs416

Disappointing results

Result highlights

  • Punjab National Bank (PNB) reported disappointing results for Q4FY2006 with its net interest income (NII) and fee income recording a tepid growth and operating expenses increasing substantially.
  • PNB's NII grew by a low 10.1% year on year (yoy) as the interest income on the investments and the balances with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and the other banks declined. The NII in fact declined by 2.5% quarter on quarter (qoq).
  • While PNB's total assets have grown by 16% yoy and 9% qoq, the NII has grown at much slower pace, which implies that the bank is facing pressure on its net interest margin (NIM).
  • The core fee income declined by 2.5% for Q4FY2006. The bank is facing the heat of competition from the other players in the market. Its total other income grew by 11.7%, as it stepped up recoveries.
  • The operating profit adjusted for the extraordinary items and treasury profit fell by 6.5% as the operating expenses grew by 32.4% coupled with a very low growth in the total income.
  • The provision of Rs600 crore on account of the mark-to-market (MTM) losses on its "available for sale" (AFS) bond portfolio further pulled down the net profit, which declined by 77%, adjusted for the extraordinary items.
  • PNB has transferred securities worth Rs6,200 crore to the "held till maturity" (HTM) portfolio to cut its MTM losses. The bank has also indicated that further investments in bonds will be in the HTM portfolio only. However, PNB's exposure to interest risk remains high as the yield on its investments is falling while the duration of the bond portfolio is high.
  • The net non-performing asset (NPA) as a percentage of the net advances has gone up marginally by nine basis points yoy to 0.29%.
  • We have downgraded our FY2007E earnings per share (EPS) estimate for PNB by 14% from Rs64.8 to Rs55.8 to take into account the lower fee income, higher operating expenses and rising provisioning requirements.
  • At the current market price of Rs416, the stock is trading at 6.4x its FY2008E EPS and 1.1x its FY2008E adjusted book value. We maintain our Buy recommendation on the stock with the price target of Rs500.

VIEWPOINT

Bharat Forge

Margins take a hit
BFL is now in the process of integrating and consolidating all the recently acquired companies and that remains the key challenge for the company at present. The company aims to become a $1-billion company by FY2008. Also, it plans to significantly increase the revenue contribution of its non-automotive business and improve the profitability of the newly acquired companies. The company has definitely managed to de-risk its business model and over the years has built state-of-the-art manufacturing capabilities. Going forward, BFL plans to enhance the competitiveness of its global subsidiaries and ramp up its Chinese operations. Following this we expect the consolidated margins to improve in the coming years. At the current market price of Rs354, the stock discounts its FY2006 earnings by 38x.

Regards,
The Sharekhan Research Team
myac...@sharekhan.com

FREE FirstStep Seminar! Book your seat TODAY!
To buy and sell shares, log on to www.sharekhan.com or call our DialnTrade unit on 1-800 227050/ 30307600.
For account related queries call our Customer Service cell on 1-800-22-7500/ 39707500.

Investor's Eye-May24.pdf