Sharekhan Investor's Eye dated June 20, 2006

1 view

Sunil

Jun 20, 2006, 10:00:54 PM6/20/06
to dps...@googlegroups.com, EquityRese...@googlegroups.com

Investor's Eye
[June 20, 2006] Please see the attachment for details
Summary of Contents

PULSE TRACK
  • May 2006 trade deficit springs positive surprise

STOCK UPDATE

Ashok Leyland
Cluster: Ugly Duckling
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs53
Current market price: Rs35

Widening its product portfolio

Ashok Leyland Ltd (ALL) has made a couple of announcements in the recent times. For instance, it plans to gain a foothold in the light commercial vehicle (LCV) segment through a joint venture or a technical tie-up. The company also has ambitious plans for its automotive component division as it aims to tap newer export markets. To fund its capital expenditure (capex) plans it has also passed a resolution to raise funds up to $150 million.

We believe that ALL's plans to increase its presence in the LCV segment and scale up the operations of the ACG would strengthen its product portfolio and further de-risk its business model. At the current market price of Rs35, the stock quotes at 9.3x its FY2008E earnings and 5.2x its FY2008E earnings before interest, depreciation, tax and amortisation. We believe that the valuations are very reasonable and maintain our Buy recommendation on the stock with a price target of Rs53.

Welspun Gujarat Stahl Rohren
Cluster: Emerging Star
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs100
Current market price: Rs69

Gains in 'pipeline'

Result highlights

  • Welspun Gujarat Stahl Rohren (WGSR) has reported a 76% growth in its revenues to Rs1,829.8 crore in FY2006. Its profit after tax (PAT) for the same period has grown by 81.4% year on year (yoy) to Rs61.3 crore. The operating profit margin (OPM) has improved by 240 basis points from 6.6% in FY2005 to 9% in FY2006, thanks to a 350-basis-point improvement in the raw materials cost to sales.
  • For the reported quarter, the net sales grew by 86% to Rs644 crore from Rs346 crore in the corresponding quarter last year. The operating profit for the quarter surged to Rs55.2 crore from Rs0.3 crore in Q4FY2005. The PAT stood at Rs19.4 crore in Q4FY2006.
  • WGSR's current order book stands approximately at Rs1,800 crore and the same is executable over three quarters. Some of the major orders include a repeat order worth Rs212 crore to the region of Gulf of Mexico, a PGN-Indonesia order worth Rs500 crore and a Rs301-crore order from Algeria.
  • After completing its capacity expansion at Anjar in FY2006, WGSR has currently undertaken a capital expenditure (capex) programme worth Rs1,225 crore to set up a plate and coil mill as backward integration exercise. The backward integration is expected to improve its OPM significantly from FY2008 and onwards.
  • At the current market price of Rs69, on a fully diluted equity of Rs84.6 crore WGSR is trading at 6x FY2008E earnings per share (EPS) of Rs11 and 4.3x 2008E enterprise value (EV)/earnings before interest, depreciation, tax and amortisation (EBIDTA). We feel the valuations are quite attractive and we maintain a Buy on WGSR with a revised price target of Rs100. Our price target discounts WGSR's FY2008E EPS by 9x.

Regards,
The Sharekhan Research Team
myac...@sharekhan.com

FREE FirstStep Seminar! Book your seat TODAY!
To buy and sell shares, log on to www.sharekhan.com or call our DialnTrade unit on 1-800 227050/ 30307600.
For account related queries call our Customer Service cell on 1-800-22-7500/ 39707500.

Investor's Eye-June20.pdf