Sharekhan Investor's Eye dated July 11, 2006

Sunil

Jul 11, 2006, 10:23:07 PM7/11/06
to dps...@googlegroups.com, EquityRese...@googlegroups.com

Investor's Eye
[July 11, 2006] Please see the attachment for details
Summary of Contents

SHAREKHAN SPECIAL

Auto earnings preview

Q1FY2007 has been a strong quarter for the automobile sector. Bajaj Auto's motorcycle sales grew by 34.5%, Maruti's car sales grew by 19% and Tata Motors' commercial vehicle sales grew by 64% (on a low base of Q1FY2006 due to the implementation of the new emission norms).

The volume growth in the quarter should lead to margin expansion, thereby mitigating the impact of the rising costs to some extent. Most of the vehicle companies are planning to raise the prices by 2-3% from Q2FY2007 onwards to offset the impact of the cost increases.

We expect Ashok Leyland, Bajaj Auto and Maruti Udyog to be among the leaders in the sector for this quarter.

Banking earnings preview

  • We expect most of the public sector banks (PSBs) to report a decline in their earnings for Q1FY2007 despite a strong loan growth, due to the contraction of the net interest margins and the losses on the bond portfolios.
  • We expect the private sector banks to fare better than their peers in the public sector and report better results on account of a strong growth in the non-interest income and lower provisioning.
  • We expect the PSB majors like State Bank of India and Punjab National Bank to report a decline of 16% year on year (yoy) and 18% yoy in their respective earnings.
  • HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank and UTI Bank are likely report a growth of 29.6% yoy, 12% yoy and 22% yoy respectively in their earnings for Q1FY2007.

STOCK UPDATE

Aban Loyd Chiles Offshore
Cluster: Emerging Star
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs1,760
Current market price: Rs911

Mulling an equity issue
In our earlier updates on Aban Loyd Chiles Offshore (Aban), we had informed you of the company's high debt/equity ratio of 7.7:1. We had also told you how we expected the company to go for an equity infusion in order to improve its balance sheet and further grow via the inorganic route. Well, that's exactly what seems to be happening now. According to a news report, Aban Singapore, a 100% subsidiary of Aban, is looking to raise around USD400 million by placing shares to private equity investors.

3i Infotech
Cluster: Emerging Star
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs244
Current market price: Rs146

Fundamentals are intact
According to the media reports, ICICI Bank is looking at reducing its stake in 3i Infotech from 54% (including direct and indirect holding) to below 30%. This is in line with the regulations that a bank cannot hold more than a 30% stake in a non-financial company. In the recent past, ICICI Bank has reduced its stake in 3i Infotech by 5% to 49%, by offloading around a 2% stake to Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) and another 3% to group companies.

SECTOR UPDATE

Textiles

Government makes it 'TUF'

  • The ministry of textiles has directed the lending institutions to stop the sanctioning of loans under the Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme (TUFs) with effect from July 6, 2006. However, the disbursement of the loans, which have already been sanctioned, will not be affected.
  • The companies under our coverage in the textiles space are Welspun India, Alok Industries and Aarvee Denims. These companies have already received the required sanctions from the lending institutions for the funds to be raised under the TUFs. The capital expenditure (capex) plans for these companies as factored in our FY2007 and FY2008 estimates are fully financed.
  • Thus as the capex plans of these companies are fully funded, we do not see the stopping of the loan sanctions under the TUFs having any negative impact on the finance cost of these companies.
Regards,
The Sharekhan Research Team
myac...@sharekhan.com

FREE FirstStep Seminar! Book your seat TODAY!
To buy and sell shares, log on to www.sharekhan.com or call our DialnTrade unit on 1-800 227050/ 30307600.
For account related queries call our Customer Service cell on 1-800-22-7500/ 39707500.

Investor's Eye-July11.pdf