Cement producers on a capex binge: Sharekhan Sector Special dated August 28, 2006

Sunil

Aug 28, 2006, 11:23:05 PM8/28/06
to dps...@googlegroups.com

Sharekhan Sector Special
[August 28, 2006] Please see the attachment for details
Summary of Contents

SHAREKHAN SECTOR SPECIAL

Cement producers on a capex binge

Encouraged by the unabated growth in cement consumption and the resultant upsurge in cement prices, cement producers across the country have announced big capacity expansion plans. The total capacity being added, based on the announcements made till August 2006, is a huge 73.8 million tonne. However the total gestation period for these projects is also fairly long with the last tonne of addition coming up in the first half of FY2010. The exhibit below presents the capacity addition plans.

Even though the cement producers have announced big capacity addition plans, the high gestation period for these projects would mean that the capacity utilisation levels would be comfortably placed at least till the end of FY2008. This in turn is likely to maintain the firm trend of the cement prices. Hence the cement companies are expected to report an impressive performance both operationally and financially at least for next six to seven quarters. Overall, we believe the southern region is best placed. It has seen a continuous surge in cement consumption. For example, for the first three months of the current fiscal, cement consumption in the region grew by almost 21%. This was on the back of a very impressive 24.9% growth witnessed in FY2006. Hence we like the stocks that are either dominant in the southern region or have a higher exposure to the markets there. We rate Associated Cement Companies (ACC), UltraTech Cement Company Ltd (UTCL) and Madras Cement as our top picks in the sector. We also like Orient Paper and JK Cement on account of their compelling valuations, which are much lower than the sector average.

Regards,
The Sharekhan Research Team
myac...@sharekhan.com

CementSectorSpecial280806.pdf