Sharekhan Investor's Eye dated September 04, 2006

1 view

Sunil

Sep 6, 2006, 6:22:58 AM9/6/06
to dps...@googlegroups.com

Investor's Eye
[September 04, 2006] Please see the attachment for details
Summary of Contents

STOCK UPDATE

Tata Tea
Cluster: Apple Green
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs1,040
Current market price: Rs798

Analyst meet takeaways

We attended the analyst meet organised by Tata Tea Ltd (TTL) last week after the acquisition of Energy Brands Inc (EBI) by the company. Even though the recent acquisitions of TTL have helped the company transform itself into a splendid branded beverage play, we believe that the funding issues with regard to the latest acquisition (EBI) will act as an overhang on the stock in the short term.

In the analyst meet, the management of TTL indicated that EBI's revenues for CY2005 were at $175 million instead of $350 million as was stated earlier. This puts the valuation of EBI at 12.4x its CY2005 revenues against the earlier valuation of 6.2x.

SECTOR UPDATE

Cement

Subdued growth numbers

For the month of August 2006 the cement majors have registered a subdued growth in cement dispacthes, primarily because of the incessant floods in the states of Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh. For example, ACC's cement dispatches for the month of August 2006 grew by 3.8% to 13.5 lakh tonne. Gujarat Ambuja, the most affected player, has reported a 4% decline in its dispatches to 9.39 lakh tonne. This is because its primary markets like Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan, witnessed heavy floods. However, the AV Birla group, which includes UltraTech Cement and Grasim Industries, reported a 4.9% growth in the cement dispatches. This is primarily because the group as a whole is dominant in the central, southern and eastern regions, where the rainfall was pretty normal.

Media

Rate ceiling negative in short term

We believe that the ceiling rate of Rs5 per channel per subscriber per month fixed by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) is negative for the broadcasters, especially the niche channels like the sports and news channels.

However, we believe that in the longer term, the implementation of the conditional access system (CAS) itself would be a big positive for the broadcasters. TRAI has put the implementation of CAS on fast track after an order by the Delhi High Court. With its initiatives on clearing the operational glitches in the way of the implementation of the system, the government's strong commitment towards the same is becoming apparent. This will definitely help the broadcasters as the current practice of under-declaration of subscribers will be a thing of past under the CAS regime.

We expect the broadcasters to renegotiate the prices with TRAI as the current price ceiling of Rs5 seems too low especially for the niche channels where the differentiation in the content and channel positioning is most important.

Regards,
The Sharekhan Research Team
myac...@sharekhan.com

FREE FirstStep Seminar! Book your seat TODAY!
To buy and sell shares, log on to www.sharekhan.com or call our DialnTrade unit on 1-800 227050/ 30307600.
For account related queries call our Customer Service cell on 1-800-22-7500/ 39707500.

Investor's Eye-Sep04.pdf