Sharekhan Investor's Eye dated January 29, 2007

Sunil

Feb 1, 2007, 9:27:34 PM2/1/07
to dps...@googlegroups.com

Investor's Eye
[January 29, 2007] Please see the attachment for details
Summary of Contents

STOCK UPDATE

Navneet Publications (India)
Cluster: Emerging Star
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs67
Current market price: Rs55.5

Price target revised to Rs67

Result highlights

  • Navneet Publications reported a tepid growth of 2.9% in its revenues to Rs45.7 crore during the third quarter. The publication business showed a decent growth of 11.7% to Rs28.6 crore. However, the stationary business continues to remain sluggish and declined by 11.4% to Rs16.4 crore.
  • The operating profit margin (OPM) of 13.7% is 20 basis points lower than 13.9% reported in Q3FY2006. Consequently, the operating profit grew by just 1.1% to Rs6.3 crore.
  • However, the healthy other income component of Rs0.9 crore (includes foreign exchange [forex] gains of Rs0.6 crore) against the negative other income of Rs0.2 crore in Q3FY2006, enabled the company to report a healthy earnings growth of 43.2% to Rs3.4 crore.
  • On a nine-month basis, the revenues and earnings have grown by 12.1% to Rs279.9 crore and by 18.6% to Rs42.2 crore respectively. The OPM has improved by 190 basis points to 24.2%, largely due to the better profitability in the publication business.
  • Grafalco, the wholly-owned subsidiary in Spain, reported revenues of 1.05 million euros and a net loss of 0.02 million euros in its first full year of operations ended December 2006. It reported profit on the operational level and is expected to show a profit on the net level in the calendar year 2007. The results of Grafalco are not yet consolidated in the quarterly performance.
  • Along with the results the company announced that it would invest Rs25 crore to set up a windmill-based power generation plant in Gujarat. The same has been approved in the recently held board meeting.
  • To factor in the lower-than-expected performance of the stationary business, we have revised downwards the earnings estimates by 1.7% and 4.1% for FY2007 and FY2008 respectively. At the current price the stock trades at 12x FY2007 and 10x FY2008 estimated earnings. We maintain our Buy recommendation on the stock with a one-year target price of Rs67 (12x FY2008 earnings).

TVS Motor Company
Cluster: Emerging Star
Recommendation: Book Profit
Current market price: Rs75

Book Profit

Result highlights

  • TVS Motors' Q3FY2007 results are below our expectations primarily due to the intensifying competition in the two-wheeler segment and rising raw material prices leading to lower profitability.
  • The company has recorded a 7.3% growth in its net sales for the quarter, which stood at Rs935.4 crore due to a marginal volume growth of 1.4% and a realisation growth of 5.8% year on year (yoy).
  • The operating profit for the quarter declined by 51% to Rs29.6 crore as the operating margins declined by 380 basis points to disappointing levels of 3.2%. Even on a sequential basis, the margins were down 200 basis points. The lower margins are largely attributed to the lower sales volumes and a rise in the raw material costs.
  • The profit before tax (PBT) during the quarter stood at Rs14.1 crore as compared to Rs45 crore a year ago. The profit after tax (PAT) declined by 63% to Rs11.5 crore.
  • Considering the competitive pressures in the two-wheeler industry, we expect the pressure on the profit margins to continue in spite of the new product launches. We are downgrading our estimates for FY2007 by 30% and for FY2008 by 80%.
  • At the current market price of Rs75, the stock discounts its FY2008E earnings by 17.2x and FY2008E EBIDTA by 9.1x. We advise to book profit in the stock.

Bharat Heavy Electricals
Cluster: Apple Green
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs2,650
Current market price: Rs2,506

Back on course!

Result highlights

  • At Rs667.7 crore, the Q3FY2007 net profit of Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) grew by 57.8%. The same is above our expectations, primarily because of an increase in the margins sequentially and a robust top line growth.
  • BHEL's revenues for the quarter grew by a robust 30.5% year on year (yoy) to Rs4,339.7 crore driven by order booking. The power division registered a 28.6% growth in the revenues whereas the industry division recorded a 33.2% growth in the revenues.
  • The operating profit margin (OPM) for the quarter increased by 329 basis points yoy and by 775 basis points sequentially to 21.4%, much above our estimates. Consequently the operating profit for the quarter registered a growth of 54.1%, higher than the revenue growth.
  • The other income increased by 56.2% to Rs185.5 crore mainly on account of the rising yields on the huge cash reserves of the company.
  • The order inflows during the quarter were slower at 9.5% yoy at Rs5,710 crore. There are some orders that have been awarded post the quarter. We are not overtly concerned about this slow-down because the order backlog continues to be robust at Rs46,700 crore, which is 3.2x its FY2006 sales imparting great visibility to the stock.
  • The board has announced a bonus of 1:1 and an interim dividend of Rs12.5 per share.
  • At the current levels, the stock is trading at 20.0x its FY2008E earnings and 12.0x its FY2008E earnings before interest, depreciation, tax and amortisation (EBIDTA). Given the expectations of the continued growth in its order book, a strong compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 35.1%, we believe the valuations are attractive. Even on a comparative basis the stock is trading at a significant discount to its peers like Siemens, ABB and Areva. We maintain our Buy recommendation on the stock with a price target of Rs2,650.

JK Cement
Cluster: Cannonball
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs295
Current market price: Rs193

Q3FY2007 results beat expectations

Result highlights

  • JK Cement has reported a net profit of Rs50 crore, much ahead of our expectations, clocking a mammoth year-on-year (y-o-y) growth of 544%.
  • The net sales grew by a healthy 44% year on year (yoy) to Rs319 crore on the back of a buoyant 36% growth in the average cement realisations to Rs3,186 per tonne. The grey cement realisations improved by 45% yoy and by 6% quarter on quarter (qoq) to Rs2,917 per tonne whereas the white cement realisations improved by 14.6% yoy and by 5% qoq to Rs7,609 per tonne.
  • The company's operating expenditure grew by 22% yoy to Rs230.7 crore, lower than expected. The power & fuel costs reduced marginally to Rs77.2 crore on a y-o-y basis on account of an increase in the share of blended cement to 56% vis-à-vis 40% last year. The freight expenses increased by 24% yoy to Rs59.2 crore whereas the costs per tonne declined marginally by Rs15 on a sequential basis.
  • On account of the company's high leverage to the cement prices as well as a benign increase in the costs, the company's operating expenditure increased by 168% yoy to Rs88.3 crore. The operating margins expanded by a huge 1,430 basis points yoy and by 5% qoq to 28%. The cumulative impact of the rising prices and lower costs resulted in the earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) per tonne multiplying 2.75x yoy to Rs882.
  • The company's net interest cost has reduced by 47% yoy to Rs8.1 crore on account of a) an interest income component of Rs4 crore from the unutilised proceeds of the foreign currency convertible bonds (FCCBs); and b) the quarterly repayment of the long-term debt. The depreciation provision stood flat at Rs8.2 crore. Consequently, the net profit zoomed by 544% yoy to Rs50 crore.
  • The company has acquired the manufacturing facilities of Nihon Nirmaan Limited from IDBI Limited for Rs42 crore and thus will be able to add close to 3.5 lakh tonne of grey cement to its existing capacity.
  • Considering the better-than-expected performance in the 9-month period as well as factoring in the acquisition of the new facility, we are upgrading our FY2007 and FY2008 earnings estimates by 13% to Rs167 crore and by 3% to Rs222.3 crore respectively. The revised earnings per share (EPS) would stand at Rs24.9 for FY2007 and Rs31.8 for FY2008.
  • At the current price of Rs193, the stock is discounting its FY2007E earnings by 7.9x and FY2008E earnings by 6.1x. On an enterprise value/tonne basis, the stock is trading at a valuation of USD73.5 per tonne whereas its closest peer Shree Cement commands a valuation of USD179 per tonne. Even after discounting for the efficient cost structure and the consistent performance of Shree Cement, we believe such a steep discount is unjustified and thus the company should command higher valuations. We maintain our Buy recommendation on the stock with a price target of Rs295.

SECTOR UPDATE

Information Technology

A quarter of strong performance

Key points

  • The Indian information technology (IT) services companies reported a robust performance in a difficult quarter. The volume growth continues to be healthy and most of the companies were able to show an improvement in the margins on a sequential basis, despite the adverse impact of the steep appreciation of the rupee.
  • The outlook is optimistic in terms of the demand environment as well as the pricing scenario. Despite the expected slow-down in the growth of the IT budgets, the growing awareness and willingness to increase offshore outsourcing is likely to drive the growth in the calendar year 2007. However, the exchange rate fluctuations continue to be the wild card that could potentially spoil the party.
  • In the note, we have revised the price targets of the companies under our coverage in line with the expected growth in the coming years. We prefer Infosys Technologies and HCL Tech among the front-line stocks. In the mid-cap space, our top picks are NIIT Tech and 3i Infotech
.
Regards,
The Sharekhan Research Team
myac...@sharekhan.com

FREE FirstStep Seminar! Book your seat TODAY!
To buy and sell shares, log on to www.sharekhan.com or call our DialnTrade unit on 1-800 227050/ 30307600.
For account related queries call our Customer Service cell on 1-800-22-7500/ 39707500.

--
http://DEADPRESIDENT.BLOGSPOT.COM
Investor's Eye-Jan29.pdf