Sharekhan Investor's Eye dated July 20, 2006

Sunil

Jul 20, 2006, 9:37:53 PM7/20/06
to dps...@googlegroups.com, EquityRese...@googlegroups.com

Investor's Eye
[July 20, 2006] Please see the attachment for details
Summary of Contents

STOCK UPDATE

Associated Cement Companies
Cluster: Apple Green
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs1,050
Current market price: Rs780

A whopper performance

Result highlights

  • At Rs291 crore ACC's Q2CY2006 pre-exceptional net profit is above our expectation primarily because of a higher-than-expected improvement in the cement realisation.
  • The net sales for the quarter grew by a healthy 32% driven by a 5.2% growth in the cement volume and a whopping 33.8% year-on-year (y-o-y) growth in the cement realisation.
  • The growth in the cement realisation has been higher than the average rise of 20-22% in cement prices on account of two reasons. One, ACC's higher exposure to the southern region, where cement price hikes have been higher and two, higher dispatches from ACC's Gagal unit in Himachal Pradesh, which is an excise-free zone. Further on an overall basis also the excise duty as 5% of sales has fallen to 9.7% from 11.8% last year.
  • The company's operating profit margin (OPM) for the quarter improved by a staggering 1,190 basis points to 31.2%, driven by the sharp increase in the cement realisation.
  • With a 32% growth in the revenues and a 1,190-basis-point improvement in the OPM, the operating profit for the quarter jumped by a steep 113.6% to Rs455 crore.
  • On a like-to-like basis, cement revenues have grown by 39.6% and cement earnings before interest and tax (EBIT) have grown by 123%.
  • On the cost front, despite a 34% increase in the staff cost, a 12% increase in the freight cost and a 9.8% increase in the power and fuel cost per tonne, the total cost per tonne increased by just 7%.
  • With a strong cash flow from the operations, the company was able to repay its debts and hence the interest cost declined by 33% in the quarter. The pre-exceptional net profit for the quarter jumped by a handsome 123% to Rs291 crore. The reported net profit, which includes the gains from the sale of land and the Mancherial unit (which have been treated as extraordinary items by us including the tax of Rs32 on the same) stood at Rs405 crore, up 191%.

Ashok Leyland
Cluster: Ugly Duckling
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs53
Current market price: Rs31

Acquisition positive

Ashok Leyland Ltd (ALL) has signed a framework agreement to acquire the truck business of the Czech truck maker, Avia. We view the acquisition in positive light since it would aid ALL to gain a foothold in some of the European markets. The acquisition would also give ALL access to the superior technological and designing capabilities of Avia and may also boost the revenues from its auto component business in the future. Further, Avia has some strong brands in the light commercial vehicle (LCV) category which can be launched in India by ALL. The acquisition is expected to get completed by August 2006 and the company has not yet disclosed the cost of the acquisition.

In another development, the Hindujas have bought out Iveco's 30% stake in the holding company, Land Rover Leyland International Holding (LRLIH). LRLIH holds a 49.53% stake in ALL and hence Iveco indirectly controls a 15% stake in ALL. The transaction is believed to have been struck at close to Rs600 crore. Since Iveco was not adding any value to the company, we view this as a positive development.

Reliance Industries
Cluster: Evergreen
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs1,200
Current market price: Rs996

Results in line with expectations

Result highlights

  • The Q1FY2007 net profit of Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) grew by 10.6% year on year (yoy) to Rs2,547 crore in line with our expectation. The growth could have been higher but for the partial shut-down of its refinery and some petrochemical units.
  • The refining & marketing (R&M) business witnessed another quarter of strong performance with its sales growing at 29.6% yoy despite a lower capacity utilisation. The company achieved the highest ever gross refining margin (GRM) of $12.4 per barrel (bbl) during the quarter.
  • The profit before interest and tax (PBIT) in the R&M business grew by 13.8% yoy despite the facts that the company had to bear high losses on retailing of the products and its capacity utilisation was lower than last year's.
  • The petrochemical business also saw a strong momentum with the revenue growing by 46.7% yoy. However, the PBIT grew by a slower 23.2% yoy. The PBIT margin declined by 211 basis points due to higher input cost and the partial shut-down of some cracking units.
  • The overall operating profit grew by 18.8% yoy. The operating profit margin (OPM) declined by 277 basis points.
  • RIL has identified organised retailing, and oil exploration and production (E&P) activities as the future growth drivers. While we have factored the value of the oil E&P activities in our price target (Rs362 per share), we believe that the organised retailing business could add anything between Rs100 and Rs160 to the stock's value. However we have not factored the same in our price target.
  • We are reiterating our Buy recommendation on the stock with a revised price target of Rs1,200 based on the sum-of-parts valuation method.

NIIT Technologies
Cluster: Ugly Duckling
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs296
Current market price: Rs181

Results in line with expectations

Result highlights

  • NIIT Technologies reported a growth of 14.9% quarter on quarter (qoq) and of 39.9% year on year (yoy) in its consolidated revenues to Rs191 crore during the first quarter. The sequential growth was driven by a 4.5% sequential growth in the organic business. The incremental revenues (of around Rs17.4 crore) from the acquisition of the UK-based Room Solutions (RM) accounted for an 11.4% growth on a sequential basis.
  • The operating profit margin (OPM) improved by 20 basis points as compared with that in Q1FY2006 but slipped by 100 basis points qoq to 19%. The sequential decline was caused by the adverse impact of the annual wage hikes (17% average hike to the offshore employees and around 5% hike to the onsite employees) and the relatively low margin of RM. The adverse impact was partially mitigated by the depreciation of the rupee and the decline in the selling, general and administration (SG&A) expenses (from 22% to 20%) as a percentage of sales.
  • The other income component was boosted by the foreign exchange fluctuation gains of Rs1.7 crore and stood at Rs3.5 crore, up from Rs1.1 crore in Q4FY2006 and a negative other income of Rs0.1 crore reported in Q1FY2006. Thus, despite the higher-than-expected tax rate and minority interest, the earnings growth of 13.4% qoq and of 55.7% yoy to Rs21.8 crore was higher than our estimate.
  • In terms of the outlook, the growth in the organic business is likely to accelerate on the back of healthy fresh order intake of $38 million in Q1 and the consequent jump in the pending order backlog to $90 million (up from $76 million in Q4) executable over the next one year. The margins are likely to get dented in Q2 due to one-time charges related to the integration of RM but the same would get normal in the following quarters.
  • At the current market price the stock trades at 8.3x FY2007 and 6.6x FY2008 estimated earnings. We maintain our Buy call on it with the price target of Rs296.

Thermax
Cluster: Emerging Star
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs340
Current market price: Rs245

Q1FY2007 results�first cut analysis

Result highlights

  • Thermax' consolidated revenues grew by 23.7% year on year (yoy) to Rs355.2 crore in Q1FY2007, in line with our expectations. The energy segment grew by a robust 21.9% yoy to Rs281.2 crore while the environment segment grew by 26.1% yoy to Rs112.5 crore.
  • The company's operating profit margin (OPM) grew by 400 basis points yoy to 10.4% in the quarter, beating our expectations. The robust margin expansion was on the back of the fall in the raw material cost, which as a percentage of sales declined from 63.9% in Q1FY2006 to 58.0% Q1FY2007. The operating profit grew by 101.3% yoy to Rs37.0 crore, ahead of our expectations.
  • The energy segment saw a sharp increase in the profit before interest and tax (PBIT) margins, which ballooned by 620 basis points to 11.5%. The environment segment had a lower PBIT of 6.5%.
  • The net profit grew by 202.6% yoy to Rs25.9 crore in Q1FY2007, way ahead of our expectation. The robust margin expansion, higher other income and lower effective tax rate are attributable to the massive upward swing in the net profit.
  • The stand-alone profit after tax (PAT) stood at Rs27.5 crore for Q1FY2007. The difference between the consolidated and the stand-alone PAT is attributable to the Rs1.5 crore loss of ME Engineering, UK, Thermax' wholly-owned subsidiary.
  • The consolidated order backlog stood at Rs 2,666 crore in Q1FY2007 as against Rs1,730 crore in Q4FY2006, a strong growth of 54.1% quarter on quarter (qoq) and a growth of 131.8% yoy.
  • The stock is trading at a price/earnings ratio (PER) of 12.8x FY2008E consolidated earnings and enterprise value (EV)/earnings before interest, depreciation, tax and amortisation (EBIDTA) of 7.0x FY2008E. We continue to remain bullish on the company and maintain a BUY on Thermax with a price target of Rs340.

SKF India
Cluster: Apple Green
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs406
Current market price: Rs280

Impressive performance

Result highlights

  • SKF India's Q2CY2006 net profit at Rs25.3 crore grew by 29.2% year on year (yoy).
  • The net sales for the quarter stood at Rs328 crore marking a growth of 84.5%. The steep growth in the revenues has come from the indenting business, which hitherto was conducted on a commission basis.
  • On a like-to-like basis the operating profit margins (OPMs) have shown an improvement of 130 basis points to 13% yoy. The reported OPMs for the quarter were down 3.1% as the indenting business, which has a lower margin of close to 4%, brought down the overall OPMs.
  • The operating profit for the quarter has shown a significant improvement of 49% and the same stood at Rs42.6 crore.
  • The stock trades at compelling valuations of 8.3x CY2007 earnings.

VIEWPOINT

Sona Koyo Steering Systems

Steering to high-growth zone

Result highlights

  • The net sales of Sona Koyo Steering Systems (Sona Koyo) increased by an impressive 50.3% to Rs115.6 crore during Q1FY2007. The sales were higher because the company began to supply electronic power steering (EPS) systems to Maruti Udyog during the quarter. Currently, Sona Koyo is the only company in India to manufacture EPS systems.
  • The operating profit margin (OPM) improved by 148 basis points due to the savings on account of lower employee cost and other expenditure. Consequently, the operating profit rose by 75.5% to Rs11.95 crore. The sharp rise in the raw material cost (up from 69.1% of sales in Q1FY2006 to 73.4% in Q1FY2007) restricted the profit growth.
  • The company incurred a loss of Rs1 crore on account of foreign currency loan translation. The interest cost was higher due to the additional loans taken to fund the capital expenditure (capex) and increased working capital requirements.
  • As a result, the net profit for the quarter rose by 31.5% to Rs3.67 crore.
  • The rising exports and a strong demand for EPS systems should bolster Sona Koyo's growth in the next few years whereas a higher localisation of components should help the company to expand its margins. New client addition and commencement of supplies to Fuji Autotech would also drive the revenue growth for the company. For the current fiscal, the company is targeting exports of Rs80 crore and revenues of Rs475 crore. At the current market price of Rs81, the stock quotes at 21.6x its FY2006 earnings and 10.9x its enterprise value (EV)/earnings before interest, depreciation, tax and amortisation (EBIDTA).

SECTOR UPDATE

Information technology

Infosys ahead of its peers
On an overall basis, the performance of the front-line information technology (IT) companies in Q1FY2007 has been ahead of expectations. The volume growth was robust and the demand environment continues to be favourable. The billing rates were largely stable with the new business coming in at higher than average billing rates. Also some of the existing businesses were getting renegotiated at higher billing rates. However, the positive impact was partially mitigated by the volume discounts offered to the large clients (with an annual revenue run rate of over $10 million dollars).

Regards,
The Sharekhan Research Team
myac...@sharekhan.com

FREE FirstStep Seminar! Book your seat TODAY!
To buy and sell shares, log on to www.sharekhan.com or call our DialnTrade unit on 1-800 227050/ 30307600.
For account related queries call our Customer Service cell on 1-800-22-7500/ 39707500.

Investor's Eye-July20.pdf