Sharekhan Investor's Eye dated January 25, 2007

Sunil

Feb 1, 2007, 9:27:15 PM2/1/07
to dps...@googlegroups.com

Investor's Eye
[January 25, 2007] Please see the attachment for details
Summary of Contents

 SHAREKHAN SPECIAL

Monetary policy preview

We feel a 25-basis-point hike in the repo and reverse repo rates may be on the cards. All the current indicators, which the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) normally considers, are above their target zone or rate. This increases the likelihood of another rate hike. In a recent poll conducted by Reuters among the top Indian banks and investment companies, almost all voted for a hike in both the repo and the reverse repo rate in the forthcoming policy review meet on January 31, 2007. The market looks to be ready for a 25-basis-point hike in the key rates. However any higher measure of hike could come as a surprise and affect market sentiments.

STOCK UPDATE

Alphageo India
Cluster: Emerging Star
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs270
Current market price: Rs203

Price target revised to Rs270

Result highlights

  • After the lacklustre performance in the first half of FY2007, Alphageo India (Alphageo) has reported a robust growth of 718% in its revenues to Rs13.2 crore for Q3FY2007. The revenues were largely contributed by the execution of the 3D survey order located in Rajasthan that the company had received from Essar Oil.
  • The operating profit margin (OPM) stood at 50.9%, up from 33.8% reported in Q3FY2006. The margin improvement was driven by the better revenue bookings on the back of the large order located in Rajasthan as compared with the concentration of work in the tough terrain of north-east area in Q3FY2006.
  • Consequently, the earnings stood at Rs2.2 crore as compared with a marginal loss of Rs0.3 crore in Q3FY2006. The earnings grew in spite of the over five-fold jump in the depreciation cost and the higher effective tax rate.
  • On a nine-month basis, the revenues grew by 392% to Rs24.8 crore and the earnings stood at Rs1.6 crore as against a loss of Rs0.1 crore in the same period of the last fiscal.
  • The performance is on track in terms of achieving the full-year revenue and earnings estimates. The earnings estimate for FY2007 remains unchanged. But we are revising upward the earnings estimate for FY2008 by 9.4% to factor in the healthy growth in the pending order book to Rs110 crore by the end of December 2006.
  • At the current market price the stock trades 15x FY2007 and 8.1x FY2008 estimated earnings. We maintain our Buy call on the stock with a revised price target of Rs270 (11x FY2008 estimated earnings).

Maruti Udyog
Cluster: Apple Green
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs1,050
Current market price: Rs944

Diesel Swift hits the road

Key points

  • Maruti Udyog Ltd (MUL) has made its first serious attempt to capture share in the diesel segment with the launch of the new diesel Swift. Powered with a superior CRDi engine, we believe that the car would present itself as a very strong option in the small car diesel segment.
  • The two variants?LDi and Vdi?are priced at Rs4.68 lakh and Rs4.96 lakh respectively, ex-showroom Delhi.
  • We expect MUL to gain market share in the compact car segment despite some amount of cannibalisation after the launch of the new Zen Estilo and now the diesel version of Swift.
  • At the current market price of Rs944, the stock discounts its FY2008E earnings by 14.3x and quotes at an enterprise value/earnings before interest, depreciation, tax and amortisation of 9.9x. We maintain our Buy recommendation on the stock with a price target of Rs1,050.

KEI Industries
Cluster: Ugly Ducking
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs140
Current market price: Rs118

Price target revised to Rs140

Result highlights

  • KEI Industries (KEI) has reported a growth of 107% in its net sales for Q3FY2007. The same is in line with our expectations. The net profit growth of 46.9% is however slightly below our expectations on account of a higher interest cost and a lower other income during the quarter.
  • The power cable segment grew by 102% to Rs157 crore while the stainless steel wire segment showed a growth of 122% during the quarter.
  • The operating profit margin (OPM) for the quarter improved by 140 basis points to 15.6%, led by the better performance of the stainless steel wire segment. The earnings before interest and tax (EBIT) margin of the stainless steel wire segment increased to 8.6% from just 1% in Q3FY2006 while the EBIT margin of the power cable segment declined by 110 basis points to 14.9% from 16% in Q3FY2006.
  • The operating profit for the quarter grew by 126% to Rs24.5 crore.
  • The interest expense for the quarter increased by 238% to Rs7 crore as the company availed of higher working capital loans. The working capital loans during this quarter were to the tune of Rs100 crore as against Rs50 crore in the same quarter last year. The depreciation cost for the quarter increased by 148% to Rs1.6 crore.
  • Consequently the net profit for the quarter grew by 46.9% to Rs11 crore.
  • The order book at the end of December 2006 stood at Rs200 crore (including the high-tension [HT] order book of around Rs30 crore) as against Rs180 crore at the end of September 2006.

Apollo Tyres
Cluster: Apple Green
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs425
Current market price: Rs356

Lower raw material costs aid margin growth

Result highlights

  • Apollo Tyres' Q3FY2007 results are ahead of our expectations, both on the top line as well as on the margins fro t.
  • The net sales for the quarter grew by 26.3% to Rs857.5 crore, ahead of our expectations. This was led by a 10% rise in the volumes and a 17% growth in the realisations.
  • The operating margins improved by 280 basis points in comparison to last year and by 300 basis points sequentially at 10.8%. The margin improvement was mainly triggered by lower raw material costs, particularly rubber, during the quarter.
  • Consequently, the operating profit for the quarter grew by 71.6% to Rs92.4 crore. Stable interest and depreciation costs led to a profit after tax (PAT) growth of 113%, which stood at Rs35.1 crore.
  • A further rise in the rubber prices would necessitate another price hike. A decision regarding the same is likely to be taken in the next one month.
  • At the current market price (CMP) of Rs356, the stock quotes at FY2008E price/earnings ratio (PER) of 11.3x and enterprise value (EV)/earnings before interest, depreciation, tax and amortisation (EBIDTA) of 5.2x. We maintain our Buy recommendation on the stock with a price target of Rs425.

Union Bank of India
Cluster: Ugly Duckling
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs150
Current market price: Rs112

First-cut analysis of Q3 results

Result highlights

  • The Q3FY2007 results of Union Bank of India are in line with expectations with the profit after tax reporting a growth of 11.4% to Rs255.2 crore compared to our estimate of Rs251.3 crore.
  • The net interest income was up 7.3% to Rs685.9 crore compared to our estimate of Rs695 crore and the other income increased by 47.6% to Rs205.2 crore.
  • The net interest margin of the bank has improved on a sequential basis by 23 basis points from 2.76% for Q2FY2007 to 2.99% for Q3FY2007. The bank's CASA share has improved to 34.90% from 33.49% sequentially and from 32.74% on a year-on-year (y-o-y) basis.
  • The operating profit was up 17.8% and the provisions showed an increase of 9.5%.
  • The capital adequacy ratio (CAR) of the bank improved to 13.22% as on December 31, 2006 from 10.91% as on December 31, 2005 and from 10.79% as on September 30, 2006. The higher CAR is on account of an increase in the capital due to the raising of funds by way of perpetual bonds of Rs300 crore for Tier I and bonds worth Rs750 crore for upper Tier II.
  • The net non-performing assets of the bank improved to 1.12% as on December 31, 2006 from 1.24% on a y-o-y basis and from 1.15% on a sequential basis.
  • The gross advances on a y-o-y basis grew by 14.96% to Rs58,3 3 crore while the deposits increased by 9.68% year on year to Rs77,292 crore.
  • At the current market price of Rs112, the stock is quoting at 5x its FY2008E earnings and 0.9x expected FY2008E book value. We maintain our Buy recommendation on the stock with a price target of Rs150.
Regards,
The Sharekhan Research Team
myac...@sharekhan.com

FREE FirstStep Seminar! Book your seat TODAY!
To buy and sell shares, log on to www.sharekhan.com or call our DialnTrade unit on 1-800 227050/ 30307600.
For account related queries call our Customer Service cell on 1-800-22-7500/ 39707500.

--
http://DEADPRESIDENT.BLOGSPOT.COM
Investor's Eye-Jan25.pdf