Fwd: Sharekhan Investor's Eye dated July 19, 2006

Sunil

Jul 19, 2006, 9:46:31 PM7/19/06
to dps...@googlegroups.com, EquityRese...@googlegroups.com

Investor's Eye
[July 19, 2006] Please see the attachment for details
Summary of Contents

STOCK UPDATE

Tata Consultancy Services
Cluster: Evergreen
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs2,190
Current market price: Rs1,758

A strong revenue growth

Result highlights

  • For Q1FY2007 Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has reported a growth of 11.3% quarter on quarter (qoq) and of 42.3% year on year (yoy) in its consolidated revenues to Rs4,144 crore. The sequential revenue growth was driven by an 8.1% growth in the volumes (7.1% organic and 1% inorganic) with another 3.2% growth coming from the depreciation of the rupee. The billing rates were stable during the quarter.
  • The operating profit margin (OPM) declined by 220 basis points to 24.2% on a sequential basis, largely due to the cumulative impact of the integration cost, the ramp-up in large deals and the annual salary hikes (15% on an average for the offshore employees) given in Q1FY2007. The operating profit grew by 1.9% qoq to Rs1,001.6 crore.
  • However, the decline in the depreciation charges as a percentage of revenues and the healthy jump in the other income component to Rs66.8 crore (driven by the positive net foreign exchange [forex] impact of Rs40 crore) boosted the consolidated earnings growth by 8.4% qoq to Rs862.6 crore (higher than our estimate of Rs853.9 crore).
  • In terms of outlook, the company does not provide any specific growth guidance. However, the management re-iterated that the demand environment is quite favourable. The management indicated that for the full year it aims to maintain the OPM at around the 25.8% level reported in FY2006. However, it appears to be a difficult task as the guidance implies a considerable improvement in the OPM over the coming quarters. We expect the OPM to decline by 90-100 basis points to around 24.8% during the current year.
  • The company has announced an interim dividend of Rs3 per share.
  • At the current market price the stock trades at 22.4x FY2007 and 17.8x FY2008 revised earning estimates. We maintain our Buy call on the stock with the price target of Rs2,190.

New Delhi Television
Cluster: Emerging Star
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs270
Current market price: Rs146

Strong quarter but cost pressures rise again

Result highlights

  • The revenues of New Delhi Television (NDTV) grew by a strong 57% year on year (yoy) in Q1FY2007 to Rs63.7 crore. The growth in the revenues was backed by a strong growth in all the channels.
  • The operating profit margin (OPM) for the quarter expanded by 420 basis points to 12.2% backed by a stable employee cost. As a result the operating profit grew by 141% yoy to Rs7.8 crore.
  • The net profit for Q1FY2007 grew ten-fold over the last year to Rs2.7 crore.
  • In our last note on NDTV, "Takeaways from management meeting" dated June 22, 2006, we had mentioned that the intensifying competition could put pressure on the production and marketing costs of the company.
  • During Q1FY2007, the pressure on the marketing and distribution (M&D) cost was visible as the same jumped up from 10.6% of sales in Q1FY2006 to nearly 14.6% in Q1FY2007.
  • We have revised our earnings estimates for FY2007 and FY2008 downwards by 11% and 7% respectively to take into account the additional M&D costs.
  • At the current market price of Rs146, the stock is quoting at 12.5x its FY2008E earnings per share (EPS) and 7.4x FY2008E enterprise value (EV)/earnings before interest, depreciation, tax and amortisation (EBIDTA). We reiterate our Buy recommendation on the stock with a revised price target of Rs270.

ICI India
Cluster: Ugly Duckling
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs420
Current market price: Rs293

ICI announces buy-back

ICI India has announced a buy-back of its shares through market operations. ICI intends to utilise up to Rs125 crore on the buy-back exercise. The buy-back exercise will be through market operations, which means that the company will be acquiring the shares through the stock exchanges as and when it deems the stock price is prudent.

The maximum price limit has been fixed at Rs350 per share for the buy-back of shares. The company will have to obtain the shareholders' approval through a special resolution. We expect the process of the buy-back to start from September 2006 and under the guidelines issued by the securities and exchange board of India, the shareholders' approval will be valid for one year, ie, till September 2007.

Crompton Greaves
Cluster: Apple Green
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs1,144
Current market price: Rs910

Powerful performance

Result highlights

  • Crompton Greaves� (Crompton) revenues grew by an impressive 42.5% year on year (yoy) in Q1FY2007 to Rs740.6 crore. The operating profit margin (OPM) improved by 100 basis points yoy in the quarter to 9.7%, driven by strong order booking and better cost management. Consequently, the operating profit grew by 58.7% yoy to Rs72.2 crore. The results on the operational front are ahead of our expectations.
  • Although all its three divisions reported strong performances, the power systems division was the pick of the lot with a growth of 66.4% yoy to Rs346.9 crore. The consumer products division grew by 27.8% yoy to Rs265.8 crore and the industrial systems division grew by 26.8% yoy to Rs189.5 crore.
  • The growth in the net profit during the quarter was slower at 16.4% yoy (in comparison with the growth in the revenue and operating profit), but was still in line with our expectations. The slower growth was attributable to a higher tax rate of 41% (including deferred tax) in the quarter, as the company no longer falls under the minimum alternative tax (MAT) regime, as was the case last year.
  • Crompton had a stand-alone order backlog of Rs1,789 crore as on June 30, 2006. The order backlog grew by 32% quarter on quarter (qoq) and by 47.8% yoy. An order book to revenues of 0.9x FY2006 (excluding the consumer products business) renders a strong visibility to the company�s earnings.
  • Its Belgium subsidiary, Pauwels reported good numbers. The revenue grew impressively by 25% yoy to Rs488.0 crore and the profit before tax stood at Rs18.3 crore. It had an operating profit margin of 6.5% versus 5.3% in FY2006, a jump of 120 basis points. The performance is in line with our estimates.
  • In the annual general meeting (AGM), the management reiterated the positive outlook for the company and is optimistic about the growth prospects (a stand-alone revenue growth guidance of 25% for FY2007 is maintained). Further, the management aims to replicate the success of its inorganic growth in transformers (through Pauwels) in its switchgears business.
  • At the current market price of Rs910, Crompton is trading at price-earnings ratio (PER) of 13.7x its FY2008E consolidated earnings and enterprise value (EV)/earnings before interest, depreciation, tax and amortisation (EBIDTA) of 7.7x FY2008E. We maintain a Buy on the stock with a price target of Rs1,144, discounting its FY2008E consolidated earnings by 18x.

Wipro
Cluster: Apple Green
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs552
Current market price: Rs458

Integration pangs

Result highlights

  • Wipro reported a 2.5% quarter-on-quarter (q-o-q) and a 36.9% year-on-year (y-o-y) growth in its consolidated revenues to Rs3,131 crore.
  • The operating margins slid by 20 basis points to 20.8%, largely due to an increase of 160 basis points in selling, general and administration (SG&A) cost to 11.6% of sales. The company invested in its sales and marketing infrastructure and added 44 members to the existing sales team of 213 employees in global information technology (IT) services at the beginning of the quarter.
  • The other income stood at Rs50.7 crore, up from Rs21.4 crore in Q1FY2006 and from Rs40 crore in Q4FY2006. Consequently, the consolidated earnings grew by 2.8% quarter on quarter (qoq) and by 43.9% year on year (yoy) to Rs614.2 crore.
  • In terms of the performance of the global IT services business, the revenue grew by 7.1% qoq and by 40.6% yoy to Rs2,451.3 crore. The revenues from the IT services segment (including acquisitions) grew by 7.7% qoq (organic revenue growth of 7.1%) whereas the revenues from the business process outsourcing (BPO) segment grew at a tepid rate of 1% on a sequential basis. Despite the positive impact of the depreciation in the rupee, the operating margins declined by 60 basis points primarily due to the operating loss of Rs12.9 crore reported by the acquired entities during the quarter.
  • In Q2, the revenues from the global IT services business are expected to grow at a sequential rate of 7% to $577 million according to the guidance given by the company. The guidance includes around $10-11 million incremental revenues from the full impact of the acquisitions that were concluded in Q1FY2007. Thus, according to the guidance the existing business is expected to grow by only 5.1% on a sequential basis.
  • At the current market price the scrip trades at 25.2x FY2007 and 19.9x FY2008 estimated earnings. We maintain our Buy call on the stock with a target price of Rs552.

Associated Cement Companies
Cluster: Apple Green
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs1,050
Current market price: Rs780

Q2CY2006 results�first cut analysis

Result highlights

  • ACC's Q2CY2006 pre-exceptional net profit at Rs259 crore is above our expectations primarily because of the higher-than-expected improvement in the cement realisations.
  • The net sales for the quarter grew by a healthy 32%, to Rs1,462 crore driven by the volumes growth of 5.7% and the realisations growth of a whopping 31% year on year (yoy).
  • The company's operating profit margin (OPM) for the quarter improved by a staggering 1,190 basis points to 31.2%, primarily driven by a sharp improvement in the cement realisations, which brought the operating leverage into play.
  • With a 32% growth in the revenues and a 1,190-basis-point improvement in the OPMs, the operating profit for the quarter jumped by a steep 113.6% to Rs455 crore.
  • On the cost front, despite a 33.5% increase in the staff cost, an 11.6% increase in the freight cost and a 9.4% increase in the power and fuel costs, the total cost per tonne increased by only 6.5%.
  • With a lower debt burden and the conversion of the foreign currency convertible bonds (FCCBs) into equity shares, the interest cost declined by 33% in the quarter. The pre-exceptionl net profit for the quarter jumped by a handsome 98.4% to Rs259 crore. The reported net profit, which includes the gain from the sale of the land and the Mancherial unit (which we have treated as extraordinary items) stood at Rs405 crore, up 191%.

MONSOON WATCH

Monsoon enters a crucial phase

For the period June 1-July 12, 2006 the monsoon is 10% below normal. The sowing of kharif crops (barring bajra and soy bean) has not been affected as yet. The total crop sowing area up to July 12 has increased by 12% to 27.2 million hectare over the corresponding period last year. To assess the impact of the monsoon one needs to measure its deficiency in the rain dependent area as it covers 72% of the total crop area in the country of nearly 186 million hectare. The impact of a deficient monsoon will be limited in the areas that are well irrigated as well as that receive ample rainfall. Up to July 12, the rainfall was deficient for 21% of the 135 million hectare of the crop area that is rain dependent. The states of Madhya Pradesh and Chattisgarh have received a deficient rainfall leading to lower sowing of the soy bean crop. Although the sowing of rice is lagging behind a bit in Punjab, a revival in the rainfall activity will be sufficient to take care of the shortfall, as Punjab is one of the well-irrigated states.

Regards,
The Sharekhan Research Team
myac...@sharekhan.com

FREE FirstStep Seminar! Book your seat TODAY!
To buy and sell shares, log on to www.sharekhan.com or call our DialnTrade unit on 1-800 227050/ 30307600.
For account related queries call our Customer Service cell on 1-800-22-7500/ 39707500.

Investor's Eye-July19.pdf