Sharekhan Investor's Eye dated June 09, 2006

Sunil

Jun 9, 2006, 10:55:25 PM6/9/06
to dps...@googlegroups.com, EquityRese...@googlegroups.com

Investor's Eye
[June 09, 2006] Please see the attachment for details
Summary of Contents

SHAREKHAN SPECIAL

Q4FY2006 earnings review

  • The earnings of the Sensex companies for Q4FY2006 grew by 22.3% year on year (yoy) and by 17.6% quarter on quarter (qoq) compared with the consensus expectations of an 18.0% year-on-year (y-o-y) and a 13.5% quarter-on-quarter (q-o-q) growth respectively.
  • While the sales of the non-banking companies in the Sensex grew by 26.5% yoy, the operating profit grew by a slower 23.1% as the operating profit margin (OPM) contracted by 56 basis points yoy to 20.1%.
  • The earnings of the Mid-cap 200 Index grew by 21.3% yoy. While the sales of the non-banking mid-cap companies grew by 15.8% yoy, their operating profit grew by a slower 10.8% as the OPM declined by 52 basis points.
  • The earnings of the Sensex companies for FY2006 grew by 22.4% yoy. At the current level of 9,811, the Sensex is quoting at 13.5x FY2007E earnings and 12.2x FY2008E earnings.

STOCK IDEA

Wipro
Cluster: Apple Green
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs552
Current market price: Rs418

Rekindling old flame

Key points

  • Wipro is witnessing strong traction in its existing information technology (IT) service business. In addition to this, the incremental growth from the recent inorganic initiatives has considerably improved the visibility of growth in its global software service business.
  • The margins are also sustainable at the current level, given the positive pricing environment and the other operating levers (like a higher offshore contribution and utilisation rate) that are likely to cushion any adverse impact of wage inflation on the company's profitability.
  • The company has effectively addressed the two key concerns of a slow-down in its business process outsourcing (BPO) operations and a lack of focus on large outsourcing deals over the past few quarters.
  • Consequently, we expect Wipro's earnings to grow at a compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 27% over the two-year period of FY2006-08E.
  • The stock's valuations are quite compelling with its premium to the Sensex close to a two-year low. We are re-initiating coverage on Wipro with a Buy recommendation and one-year target price of Rs552 (24x its FY2008 estimated earnings of Rs23 per share).

STOCK UPDATE

Surya Pharmaceuticals
Cluster: Ugly Duckling
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs205
Current market price: Rs67

Story intact

Surya Pharma is involved in the contract manufacturing of anti-infectives. The company is changing its product mix from manufacturing low-margin betalactums to manufacturing higher end high-margin cephalosporins. It is also targeting the manufacture of lifestyle drugs in the future.

SECTOR UPDATE

Banking

Rate hike to increase provisioning
In an unexpected move the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has raised the repo and reverse repo rates by 25 basis points each. It may be recalled that in its annual statement on the monetary policy for 2006-07, the central bank had kept all the key rates unchanged. The timing of the rate increase was totally unexpected and most market players were expecting a hike in the quarterly review of the monetary policy in July 2006.

We do not expect the rate hike to have any impact on the core earnings of banks immediately; however it would surely affect their mark-to-market (MTM) losses as the benchmark 10-year government security (G-Sec) yield inches up. The yield on 10-year G-Sec moved up by 15 basis points a day after the hike was announced. We expect Canara Bank, Punjab National Bank and Allahabad Bank (in that order) to be the worst hit in a scenario of rising 10-year G-Sec yield.

Cement

A re-look at cement
Following the recent sharp correction in the broader indices and the news of the government's intervention to control the prices of cement, the stocks of cement companies have witnessed a sharp correction during the last few trading sessions. The fear of an earnings downgrade as well as the overall lower valuations for the broader indices are now acting as an overhang on the stocks. However we believe the positive outlook for the sector, strong earnings growth and the new valuation benchmarks set by Holcim's recent acquisitions in India, shall act as positive triggers for cement stocks. We maintain our positive view on the sector with UltraTech Cement, ACC and Madras Cement as our picks. We also like Orient Paper and JK Cement on account of their compelling valuations, which are much less than the sector average.

MUTUAL GAINS

Sharekhan's top equity fund picks
We have identified the best equity-oriented schemes available in the market today based on the following parameters: the past performance as indicated by the returns, the Sharpe ratio and Fama (net selectivity).

The past performance is measured by the returns generated by the scheme. Sharpe indicates risk-adjusted returns, giving the returns earned in excess of the risk-free rate for each unit of the risk taken.

FAMA measures the returns generated through selectivity, ie the returns generated because of the fund manager's ability to pick the right stocks. A higher value of net selectivity is always preferred as it reflects the stock picking ability of the fund manager.

MUTUAL FUNDS: WHAT�S IN�WHAT�S OUT

Fund Analysis: June 2006
An analysis has been undertaken on equity and mid-cap funds' portfolios, indicating the favourite picks of fund managers for the month of May 2006. Equity funds comprise of all diversified, index, sector and tax planning funds, whereas midcap funds include a universe of 17 funds such as Reliance Growth, Franklin India Prima Fund, HDFC Capital Builder, Birla Mid-cap Fund etc.

Regards,
The Sharekhan Research Team
myac...@sharekhan.com

FREE FirstStep Seminar! Book your seat TODAY!
To buy and sell shares, log on to www.sharekhan.com or call our DialnTrade unit on 1-800 227050/ 30307600.
For account related queries call our Customer Service cell on 1-800-22-7500/ 39707500.