Sharekhan Investor's Eye dated July 18, 2006

Sunil

Jul 18, 2006, 10:43:14 PM7/18/06
to dps...@googlegroups.com

Investor's Eye
[July 18, 2006] Please see the attachment for details
Summary of Contents

STOCK UPDATE

Nelco
Cluster: Vulture's Pick
Recommendation: Hold
Price target: Rs216
Current market price: Rs81

Deteriorating outlook
Nelco's performance is likely to be lacklustre due to the delay in securing fresh orders from the defence sector. Moreover, the company's inability to get the required statutory approvals to develop an additional structure at its existing property is another concerning factor that is likely to affect its performance in the current fiscal. Over the long term as well, the re-rating triggers are also likely to get delayed. Consequently, we are downgrading the stock to Hold.

Deepak Fertilisers & Petrochemicals Corporation
Cluster: Ugly Duckling
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs126
Current market price: Rs74

A turn-around in performance

Result highlights

  • Deepak Fertilisers and Petrochemicals Ltd (DFPCL) saw a turn-around in Q1FY2007 after a dull performance in the previous three quarters.
  • The revenues for the quarter stood at Rs168.2 crore, up 20.6% year on year (yoy). The revenue growth was driven by the increase in the sale of the traded products.
  • The operating profit margin (OPM) for the quarter under review was at 23%. Although it is lower than the Q1FY2006 OPM of 27.6%, the same is a major improvement over the margins in the previous three quarters. The operating profit declined by 1.9% yoy to Rs38.6 crore during the quarter.
  • The lower tax outgo helped the company to report a growth of 9.6% yoy in the net profit to Rs24.8 crore.
  • We have lowered our earnings per share (EPS) estimates for the company for FY2007 and FY2008 from Rs17 and Rs19 to Rs12.5 and Rs16 respectively to take into account the delayed start of the isopropyl alcohol (IPA) project and the Ishanya Mall as well as the lower margins in the bought ammonia-based production.
  • We believe that DFPCL is entering into a new growth phase with its various investment plans which are likely to take place over next two to three years like
    • With no disruption in the gas supply the contribution from the existing business to earnings is likely to remain healthy.
    • The IPA plant as well as the Ishanya mall will be fully operational throughout FY2008.
    • The commencement of the Dahej-Uran-Pune pipeline in H1CY2007 will bring in liquefied natural gas (LNG) for six to nine months of FY2008.
      The ammonium nitrate plant is likely to be fully operational through FY2009 and can contribute another Rs200 crore to the revenues in that year.
  • At the current market price of Rs74, the stock is quoting at 4.8x its FY2008E EPS. We maintain a Buy recommendation on the stock with the price target of Rs126.

Crompton Greaves
Cluster: Apple Green
Recommendation: Buy
Price target: Rs1,144
Current market price: Rs910

Q1FY2007 results first cut analysis

Result highlights

  • Crompton Greaves' revenues grew by 42.5% year on year (yoy) in Q1FY2007 to Rs740.6 crore, way ahead of our expectations. Although all its three divisions reported strong performance, the power systems division was the pick of performance with a growth of 66.4% yoy to Rs346.9 crore. Consumer products division grew by 27.8% yoy to Rs265.8 crore and the industrial systems division grew by 26.8% yoy to Rs189.5 crore.
  • The raw material cost to sales spiked to 73.3% in Q1FY2007 against 69.9% in Q1FY2006 largely due to changing revenue mix towards low margin power systems business. However, stable employee and other expenses negated the impact of the same. Consequently, the operating profit margin (OPM) improved by 100 basis points yoy to 9.7% and the operating profit for the quarter grew by 58.7% to Rs72.2 crore, which was ahead of our expectations.
  • The growth in the net profit during the quarter was slower at 14.6% yoy (in comparison with the revenue and operating profit growth), but still was in line with our expectations. Slower growth was attributable to higher tax rate of 41% (including deferred tax) in the quarter as the company no longer falls under the minimum alternative tax regime as was the case last year.
  • At the current market price of Rs910, Crompton Greaves is trading at 21.5x its FY2008E stand-alone earnings per share. We maintain a Buy on the stock with a price target of Rs1,144.

SECTOR UPDATE

Banking

Change in investment portfolio guidelines
The Reserve Bank of India through its circular dated July 14, 2006 has issued draft guidelines on classification and valuation of investments by the Indian banks. Under the new guidelines the banks will not have to provide mark-to-market (MTM) losses on their investments in the "available for sale" (AFS) category in the Profit and Loss (P&L) account. The banks will have to provide for MTM losses only on the bonds in the "held for trading" portfolio in the P&L account. For the bonds in the AFS category, the MTM losses or gains can be debited or credited against an account called "Unrealised gain/loss on AFS portfolio (UGA)" account in the balance sheet.

Regards,
The Sharekhan Research Team
myac...@sharekhan.com

FREE FirstStep Seminar! Book your seat TODAY!
To buy and sell shares, log on to www.sharekhan.com or call our DialnTrade unit on 1-800 227050/ 30307600.
For account related queries call our Customer Service cell on 1-800-22-7500/ 39707500.

Investor's Eye-July18.pdf