[dorkbotpdx-blabber] Anyone with CAN experience?

Travis Gintz

Jun 13, 2013, 1:57:28 PM6/13/13
to dorkbot list
I'm looking for a little help on a project (which could be paid) that
monitors the CAN bus for data, parses that into a table, and then outputs
via Bluetooth. I realize there are OBD CAN adapters that do this, but I
also want the option to use other IO as well. I'm using an mbed LCP1768
with a board I built:
http://mbed.org/users/WiredHome/notebook/SmartBoard-baseboard/

I have some programming experience, enough to get see what comes in on the
CAN bus or Bluetooth side, but parsing/outputting to those in the correct
format is where I'm a bit rusty on coding. I've started implementing the
ELM327 chipset responses.

What I'm trying to do, is create a bit of an open source gateway. The
board above has CAN, RS232, Ethernet, Analog inputs, PWM outputs, SD, I2C,
SPI etc. I'd like to create a gateway that takes data in on one side,
parses it into a table, and then responds to requests for data from
Bluetooth.

I'm not set on the mbed, but it's got everything I need built in and I've
got 2 of these smartboards + mbed + RN42 modules.

Anyway, if anyone has time to give me a hand, or at least sit down with me
and chat about CAN, let me know. It won't be something I'm selling, but
more or less setting up so that others may do the same. At most, I'd
redesign a board that has isolated CAN ports plus headers for the RN42/LCD
etc.

Regards,
Travis

Huck

Jun 13, 2013, 2:19:26 PM6/13/13
to dorkbotpd...@dorkbot.org
Zero CAN exp... but for what it's worth.

http://smarttech.com/smartboard

you might wanna rename your board to avoid confusion with Smart Boards
interactive whiteboards used in a plethora of classrooms.

Just a suggestion..

--Huck

Travis Gintz

Jun 13, 2013, 2:30:45 PM6/13/13
to A discussion list for dorkbot-pdx (portland, or)
Oh, sorry, It's not "my" design, it's a board that I built. a guy David
Smart built the board I'm using. I populated/soldered it.

I don't think it's an issue, as they're 2 completely different products,
so I don't see where there'd be confusion. One is a Baseboard for an mbed,
the other is a whiteboard.

If I DID make my own board though, it would be unique as possible.

Nathan McCorkle

Jun 18, 2013, 4:49:55 AM6/18/13
to dorkb...@emf-power.com, A discussion list for dorkbot-pdx (portland, or)
If you don't need it to be going out via bluetooth and can tolerate
wifi, this is around $25-30 and has a UART port on it, so you could
interface it with your smartboard to send out the data that way. This
driver file says:

#define AR933X_UART_MAX_BAUD 3000000
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/browser/src/linux/universal/linux-3.8/drivers/tty/serial/ar933x_uart.c

So that would be about 375 kilobytes per second (not sure if it's an
artificial limit).
--
-Nathan

Nathan McCorkle

Jun 18, 2013, 4:50:27 AM6/18/13
to dorkbotpdx, A discussion list for dorkbot-pdx (portland, or)

Travis Gintz

Jun 18, 2013, 2:36:45 PM6/18/13
to Nathan McCorkle, A discussion list for dorkbot-pdx (portland, or)
Thanks! The Smartboard has Ethernet already. I could use just about any
wifi router/bridge to connect the device through Wifi. It's an option that
I'm definitely considering.