[dorkbotpdx-announce] DorkbotPDX 0x0A :: March 25th, 8pm

Jason Plumb

Mar 18, 2013, 12:21:32 AM3/18/13
to An discussion list for dorkbot-pdx (portland, or), dorkbotpd...@dorkbot.org
http://dorkbotpdx.org/dorkbotpdx_0x0a

When: March 25th, 2013 - 8pm
Where: Backspace (http://www.backspace.bz/)
Who: All ages -- open to the public
Cost: Free!

===========================
Self Balancing Robots 101
Glenn Phillips
===========================
Glenn's presentation will cover the basics of self balancing robots:

* Overview of accelerometers and gyroscopes
* Control software
* Motor controllers
* Battery and electric motor selection

Glenn Phillips got into the computer business around the era of the Mac
Plus. Glenn's last job was the owner of Gorge Networks Inc. a rural
Internet provider using fixed wireless and dsl. The business was sold in
2010 and Glenn has been on the Obama plan ever since.

Glenn became interested in the Arduino a couple years ago, but he had no
programming experience. At some point in the process Glenn began to
control servos and motors from his old RC collection. Computer control
of motors was fun, interesting and possibly a job in the future.

Self balancing robots seemed to be the holy grail of motor control!
Constant feedback from sensors is processed and translated to power and
direction of the motor. Any issue with any component of the system is
immediately apparent.

Glenn is also a cheap Yankee so his creations use salvaged parts from
electric bikes, scooters, wheelchairs, laser printers and computers.

===========================
The Church of Robotron
===========================
Learn about the mutant savior and our efforts to save the last human
family.

We will talk about the Chuch of Robotron installation at Toorcamp 2012.
It involved many different types of materials, skills, and work. We
used microcontrollers, plywood, and cast away junk to create a brand new
immersive experience of Robotron 2084. On top of that, we had
performance, writing, and art to complete the branding of the Church.
We will show what a lot of people working together can accomplish.

We hope to inspire you to take up the two eight ways!
http://vimeo.com/49144596

Opendork
========
You!

An open-mic session for those looking to show off a project, ask a
question, solicit help, or incite collaboration.
dorkbot0x0a.png