How do you link your Django project to a domain

djangocharm2020

Jan 24, 2015, 2:01:43 AM1/24/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
pretty much have a project built but now want to purchase a domain to link it live . Do you guys have any suggestions on who i should go with like godaddy.com.

I also need to know is there a special step or code that is needed to add to the project?

Thanks

Majo

Jan 24, 2015, 8:19:54 AM1/24/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
I'd say compare prices and then decide (For example, check out uniteddomains.com. A .com sets you back $9.99/year there.). If you're planning to get something more exotic than .com or .org, etc. You might be able to save some money by going for a local provider (e.g. if you want a .de, register with a German provider like Hetzner or 1&1). If you plan to host your project on AWS, you might want to consider getting the domain there. I just read that you can register domains through their DNS service Route53.

You won't need any "special" step regarding your Django code. Set up a server that listens to your domain. Get your virtualenv running, just as you would on your local dev machine, and make sure that the ALLOWED_HOSTS setting contains your domain(s). Do a quick read on static files and you should be good to go.

Hope that helps. Have fun!

patrickbeeson

Jan 24, 2015, 8:22:33 AM1/24/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
You might also check out Google's recently launched domain registrar at domains.google.com.

Collin Anderson

Jan 27, 2015, 3:09:06 PM1/27/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
I use namecheap, but yes, domains.google.com has a nice user interface.

François Schiettecatte

Jan 27, 2015, 3:14:57 PM1/27/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
I would not recommend godaddy.com, they try really hard to upsell you, I use hover.com and I have also heard good things about domain.com

François