Django critter helps us code at the speed of light.

Eric Walstad

Mar 11, 2009, 2:10:34 PM3/11/09
to Django users
It occurred to me that my 9yr old daughter has been listening to me
talk about Django for almost half of her life. She sees me reading
books and blogs about Django. She sees me wear my green DjangoCon t-
shirt. For the last 4 years Django's had some influence on her, too.

Last night she was creating critters with her water color crayons.
Some are strong, some are mischievous, some are kind. She created the
Django critter for me. As she puts it:

"""
Django is a computer programming critter. He is loyal only to
computer programmers and does all their work. He types with the ball
on the end of his tail, at the speed of light. He beeps when his work
is done and when you take him home, he flies around the house, doing
all your chores. He's a helpful little fellow.
"""

I don't think she realizes it, but Django also helps pay the bills and
puts a smile on her dad's face.

Now you can have your pony AND a Django Critter:
http://starship.python.net/~ewalstad/django_critter.html

I hope you all enjoy Django as much as we have.

Eric.

Russell Keith-Magee

Mar 11, 2009, 7:17:30 PM3/11/09
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 3:10 AM, Eric Walstad <ewal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now you can have your pony AND a Django Critter:
> http://starship.python.net/~ewalstad/django_critter.html
>
> I hope you all enjoy Django as much as we have.

Thanks Eric. That really brightened up my morning.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Malcolm Tredinnick

Mar 11, 2009, 11:00:04 PM3/11/09
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 11:10 -0700, Eric Walstad wrote:
[...]

> I don't think she realizes it, but Django also helps pay the bills and
> puts a smile on her dad's face.
>
> Now you can have your pony AND a Django Critter:
> http://starship.python.net/~ewalstad/django_critter.html

Damn. That's lovely. :-)

Thanks for sharing.

Malcolm

Nick

Mar 12, 2009, 7:24:11 AM3/12/09
to Django users
On Mar 11, 6:10 pm, Eric Walstad <ewals...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now you can have your pony AND a Django Critter:http://starship.python.net/~ewalstad/django_critter.html

Excellent! I think I prefer the Critter to the Pony...

Nick

Andrew McCloud

Mar 12, 2009, 4:18:40 AM3/12/09
to Django users

Andrew McCloud

Mar 12, 2009, 4:17:04 AM3/12/09
to Django users
My first time using illustrator. My original goal was to make a nice
wallpaper but couldn't get illustrator to behave.

Idan Gazit

Mar 12, 2009, 8:05:34 AM3/12/09
to Django users
Brilliant.

Eric Walstad

Mar 12, 2009, 11:23:21 AM3/12/09
to Django users
On Mar 12, 1:17 am, Andrew McCloud <and...@amccloud.com> wrote:
> My first time using illustrator. My original goal was to make a nice
> wallpaper but couldn't get illustrator to behave.

Thanks Andrew,
Lucinda thinks your work is "so awesome!"
She printed it out and has it taped to the wall next to her bed.
Eric.

mrts

Mar 15, 2009, 11:56:47 AM3/15/09
to Django users
I takes a brave man to identify himself with the grrly Pony, so thumbs
up to everybody who have that much bravado in themselves :)

I don't, therefore I'm all for the critter and my (styled) take is
here: http://mrts-foo.appspot.com/

(Created with Inkscape, but Illustrator is also able to open SVGs).

mrts

Mar 16, 2009, 8:32:36 AM3/16/09
to Django users
On Mar 15, 5:56 pm, mrts <m...@mrts.pri.ee> wrote:
> I don't, therefore I'm all for the critter and my (styled) take is
> here:http://mrts-foo.appspot.com/

For anyone still interested in the critter, there are some banners now
at http://mrts-foo.appspot.com/ .

Torsten Bronger

Mar 16, 2009, 8:55:30 AM3/16/09
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hallöchen!

mrts writes:

But the glory is not authentic, is it?

Tschö,
Torsten.

Jabber ID: torsten...@jabber.rwth-aachen.de

Geobase Isoscale

Mar 16, 2009, 9:04:42 AM3/16/09
to django...@googlegroups.com
Encouraging to new guys in the block, there hope of longevity here...no more hop and jump to other languages.

mrts

Mar 16, 2009, 9:35:08 AM3/16/09
to Django users
On Mar 16, 2:55 pm, Torsten Bronger <bron...@physik.rwth-aachen.de>
wrote:
> Hallöchen!
>
> mrts writes:
> > On Mar 15, 5:56 pm, mrts <m...@mrts.pri.ee> wrote:
>
> >> I don't, therefore I'm all for the critter and my (styled) take
> >> is here:http://mrts-foo.appspot.com/
>
> > For anyone still interested in the critter, there are some banners
> > now athttp://mrts-foo.appspot.com/.
>
> But the glory is not authentic, is it?

If by "authentic" you mean "endorsed by core devs" -- no. That is
explicitly stated at http://mrts-foo.appspot.com/ (and I made it even
more explicit just now). But neither is the pony "authentic" in that
sense, Django does not have an official mascot AFAICT.

That's the reason why the name "Django" is not used in neither the
critter nor the pony banners.

If there are any issues with the current wording in that regard at
http://mrts-foo.appspot.com/ , please let me know.

Torsten Bronger

Mar 16, 2009, 9:53:52 AM3/16/09
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hallöchen!

mrts writes:

> On Mar 16, 2:55 pm, Torsten Bronger <bron...@physik.rwth-aachen.de>
> wrote:
>
>> mrts writes:

>>> For anyone still interested in the critter, there are some
>>> banners now athttp://mrts-foo.appspot.com/.
>>
>> But the glory is not authentic, is it?
>
> If by "authentic" you mean "endorsed by core devs"

No, I mean "contained in the original critter". As far as I can
see, you added the glory. I simply wonder why.

mrts

Mar 16, 2009, 10:28:48 AM3/16/09
to Django users
On Mar 16, 3:53 pm, Torsten Bronger <bron...@physik.rwth-aachen.de>
wrote
> No, I mean "contained in the original critter".  As far as I can
> see, you added the glory.  I simply wonder why.

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding :). It looked nice, conveys the
"helpful fellow" message and -- last not least -- helps me to add 3D-
depth to the figure.

Klowner

Mar 16, 2009, 2:00:55 PM3/16/09
to Django users
That's just awesome.

Quick and dirty 3D version done in blender :)
http://img.skitch.com/20090316-82bsdnfjm15xarx3t9c1e4a7q9.png

- Mark

bruno desthuilliers

Mar 16, 2009, 6:27:57 PM3/16/09
to Django users
Wow. I think this is one of the most wonderful rewards the Django team
could ever get. And it's a really cute critter too - really love it.

Thanks, really, to you both.

Scott Lyons

Mar 16, 2009, 8:29:16 PM3/16/09
to Django users
Based on mrts' drawings, I made two backgrounds. I'm open to
suggestions or requests.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/damagedgenius/3361587194/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/damagedgenius/3361587300/in/photostream/

On Mar 16, 6:27 pm, bruno desthuilliers

Bro

Mar 17, 2009, 7:19:20 AM3/17/09
to Django users
It's so sweet and sincere :)
Thank to your daughter :)

jwickard

Mar 17, 2009, 9:17:47 AM3/17/09
to Django users
Best group thread ever.

Ariel Mauricio Nunez Gomez

Mar 17, 2009, 11:48:32 AM3/17/09
to django...@googlegroups.com
I already have my critter magic wallpaper on 3 out of my 4 desktops.

He is truly a helpful little fellow.

Ariel.

Eric Walstad

Mar 17, 2009, 2:31:30 PM3/17/09
to Django users
On Mar 16, 11:00 am, Klowner <mriede...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Quick and dirty 3D version done in blender :)http://img.skitch.com/20090316-82bsdnfjm15xarx3t9c1e4a7q9.png
Oooh, very cool!

Eric Walstad

Mar 17, 2009, 2:33:02 PM3/17/09
to Django users
On Mar 16, 5:29 pm, Scott Lyons <ScottALy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Based on mrts' drawings, I made two backgrounds. I'm open to
> suggestions or requests.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/damagedgenius/3361587194/
>
> and
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/damagedgenius/3361587300/in/photostream/
Excellent!
A version without the halo would be really nice, too.

Thanks,

Eric.

Eric Walstad

Mar 17, 2009, 2:36:21 PM3/17/09
to Django users
On Mar 15, 8:56 am, mrts <m...@mrts.pri.ee> wrote:
> I takes a brave man to identify himself with the grrly Pony, so thumbs
> up to everybody who have that much bravado in themselves :)
>
> I don't, therefore I'm all for the critter and my (styled) take is
> here:http://mrts-foo.appspot.com/
>
> (Created with Inkscape, but Illustrator is also able to open SVGs).
Nice work. It is really cool to see interest in Lucinda's work and to
build and improve upon it.
Thanks!
Eric.

Eric Walstad

Mar 17, 2009, 5:25:23 PM3/17/09
to Django users
On Mar 16, 10:00 am, Klowner <mriede...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's just awesome.
>
> Quick and dirty 3D version done in blender :)http://img.skitch.com/20090316-82bsdnfjm15xarx3t9c1e4a7q9.png
>
> - Mark
Lucinda says: "I really like the 3D version; it's brilliant."
-ew

Scott Lyons

Apr 5, 2009, 12:12:59 AM4/5/09
to Django users