selecting a framework ,

gops

Apr 19, 2007, 9:17:44 AM4/19/07
to Django users
Hi ,

I want to develop a ERP for very small business ( two - three use +
customer : normally not more than 10 people using the erp ) , I know a
little bit of php , but i am interested in django as my platform ,

my question is , is there any such system available which i can look
at to get some idea , from where to start... ???

Thanks .

Michael K

Apr 19, 2007, 9:47:09 AM4/19/07
to Django users

I don't know if any applications already exist for Django, but there
should at least be some pieces ready-to-go out there. Django would be
well-suited for such a project, I'd think, simply because of how
tightly you can integrate the models. The admin backend should pretty
much do most of what you need for data collection for the ERP, leaving
the views being the bulk of your work in all likelihood.

Check out http://www.djangobook.com for some good examples and a head
start on Django. Having come from a PHP background myself, I can say
you'll find Python quite a bit more strict on how you format your
code, but you should be able to pick up on how to do things fairly
quickly. You said you know a little bit of PHP, how much is a little
bit? To get started in Django, you'll need to learn a little bit of
Python - to really harness the power of it, you'll want to learn a
lot. Most of it, luckily, you will learn as you go. If you don't
know any Python at all, definitely check out the tutorials on
python.org. They will help.

Since you said this is for a small business, this shouldn't be an
overwhelming project to do in Django. Honestly, I'd be terrified of
building an ERP from scratch in PHP for an enterprise of any size.
Not so much using Django - most of the horrid SQL and web logic is
already done for you.

As a starting point, again, I'd take a look at the examples on the
book and main websites, and probably www.djangosnippets.org for some
more code examples. Start small and simple, make releases often, and
try to avoid feature bloat. If you work incrementally, you should end
up with a sturdy ERP in no time.

Lastly, I'm certain folks here would be more than happy to take a look
at bits of code and help with errors.

--
Michael

gops

Apr 19, 2007, 10:03:24 AM4/19/07
to Django users
Hey thanks for those coolest links , i think this will be enough for
me getting started ,

i am from hard core c c++ programming background taking babystep in
web development , so my target it to "learn one thing that do it
all" , and after much of googling , i think django is the right
choice ,

and if i develop a code that works , i surely will make it open-source
for public to use and develop.

and this is web based in the sense that , i want to create a website
that do all erp work for a small business need to do ,
no fancy stuffs. i will upload my updates if things getting sense.

now am excited to use jango....

thanks.

On Apr 19, 6:47 pm, Michael K <m...@arikel.net> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 9:17 am, gops <patelgo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi ,
>
> > I want to develop a ERP for very small business ( two - three use +
> > customer : normally not more than 10 people using the erp ) , I know a
> > little bit of php , but i am interested in django as my platform ,
>
> > my question is , is there any such system available which i can look
> > at to get some idea , from where to start... ???
>
> > Thanks .
>
> I don't know if any applications already exist for Django, but there
> should at least be some pieces ready-to-go out there. Django would be
> well-suited for such a project, I'd think, simply because of how
> tightly you can integrate the models. The admin backend should pretty
> much do most of what you need for data collection for the ERP, leaving
> the views being the bulk of your work in all likelihood.
>

> Check outhttp://www.djangobook.comfor some good examples and a head

> start on Django. Having come from a PHP background myself, I can say
> you'll find Python quite a bit more strict on how you format your
> code, but you should be able to pick up on how to do things fairly
> quickly. You said you know a little bit of PHP, how much is a little
> bit? To get started in Django, you'll need to learn a little bit of
> Python - to really harness the power of it, you'll want to learn a
> lot. Most of it, luckily, you will learn as you go. If you don't
> know any Python at all, definitely check out the tutorials on
> python.org. They will help.
>
> Since you said this is for a small business, this shouldn't be an
> overwhelming project to do in Django. Honestly, I'd be terrified of
> building an ERP from scratch in PHP for an enterprise of any size.
> Not so much using Django - most of the horrid SQL and web logic is
> already done for you.
>
> As a starting point, again, I'd take a look at the examples on the

> book and main websites, and probablywww.djangosnippets.orgfor some

Jay Parlar

Apr 19, 2007, 10:13:48 AM4/19/07
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 4/19/07, gops <patel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey thanks for those coolest links , i think this will be enough for
> me getting started ,
>
> i am from hard core c c++ programming background taking babystep in
> web development , so my target it to "learn one thing that do it
> all" , and after much of googling , i think django is the right
> choice ,
>
> and if i develop a code that works , i surely will make it open-source
> for public to use and develop.
>
> and this is web based in the sense that , i want to create a website
> that do all erp work for a small business need to do ,
> no fancy stuffs. i will upload my updates if things getting sense.
>
> now am excited to use jango....

That's more or less how I came to Django. I was already proficient in
Python, but the other half of my work experience is "hardcore c/c++",
doing real-time embedded devices. ie., as far away from web
development as you can be :)

Django fit my brain quite well, and if you're proficient in C/C++,
then Python won't be too hard to learn (you'll just have to make sure
to "unlearn" a few horrible habbits that C/C++ forces you to use).

Jay P.

Jason McVetta

Apr 19, 2007, 10:59:18 AM4/19/07
to django...@googlegroups.com
Django is a great framework for building custom web apps -- but I am not sure it is the most sensible solution for your needs.  If what you want is standard ERP functionality, delivered over the web, there is no need for you to reinvent the wheel.  Quite a few existing open source projects may meet your needs; check out OpenBravo, Compiere, ERP5, webERP, etc.

Kenneth Gonsalves

Apr 19, 2007, 9:55:42 PM4/19/07
to django...@googlegroups.com

On 19-Apr-07, at 6:47 PM, gops wrote:

> I want to develop a ERP for very small business ( two - three use +
> customer : normally not more than 10 people using the erp )

check out satchmo - it is an erp with django

--

regards
kg

Jeremy Dunck

Apr 19, 2007, 11:23:30 PM4/19/07
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 4/19/07, Kenneth Gonsalves <law...@thenilgiris.com> wrote:

> check out satchmo - it is an erp with django

If you mean this satchmo:
http://www.satchmoproject.com/
then I think we're not agreeing on what ERP is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_resource_planning
:)

Kenneth Gonsalves

Apr 20, 2007, 12:37:59 AM4/20/07
to django...@googlegroups.com

On 20-Apr-07, at 8:53 AM, Jeremy Dunck wrote:

>> check out satchmo - it is an erp with django
>
> If you mean this satchmo:
> http://www.satchmoproject.com/
> then I think we're not agreeing on what ERP is:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_resource_planning
> :)

i stand corrected - but i'm fairly sure it started out as an erp thing

Ramdas S

Apr 21, 2007, 4:02:54 AM4/21/07
to django...@googlegroups.com

I have build a simple billing module for an ad agency which is functional using Django. It is very easy to use it

Ramdas