Django Hosting Survey

Jeff

Oct 6, 2008, 1:30:41 PM10/6/08
to Django users
I am about to begin a new Django project and I am currently evaluating
hosting options. I know there has been a number of discussions on this
topic, and I have read most of them. However, seeing how quickly
things change in the web development / hosting world, I wanted to get
some opinions if the following summary still holds true.

The most useful information I have found on Django hosting was here:
http://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2008/jan/12/mt/

From this, and other sources, I believe the best hosting options to
be:

1. Web Faction - for those that want to get Django up and running as
quickly and easily as possible, using their automated setup.

OR

2. Slicehost - for those that want COMPLETE control of their hosting
environment. Only drawback (for some) is that everything needs to be
installed from scratch.

In the case of Slicehost, I am also curious if the 256 slice is
sufficient for most Django apps.

I appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Thanks!

Jeff

Raymond Cote

Oct 6, 2008, 2:15:34 PM10/6/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
Jeff wrote:
> >From this, and other sources, I believe the best hosting options to
> be:
>
> 1. Web Faction - for those that want to get Django up and running as
> quickly and easily as possible, using their automated setup.

I cannot comment on Slicehost, but I can say that WebFaction has given
us excellent service.
Currently have about a dozen customers up on WebFaction running Django
(or Plone).
True you don't have "complete control" as you would with Slicehost,
however, you do get shell access,
a private Apache instance, and the ability to run cron tasks.

Joshua Jonah

Oct 6, 2008, 2:24:00 PM10/6/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
I use Media Temple and have never been happier.

Michael Semcheski

Oct 6, 2008, 2:26:03 PM10/6/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Jeff <jeffb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the case of Slicehost, I am also curious if the 256 slice is
> sufficient for most Django apps.

You can definitely develop and deploy a small application on a 256MB
slice. Whether 256 is enough depends on the nature of your app, and
its usage. But, its very easy to bump up to a 512 or 1GB slice from
256. Also, you can bump back down to 256.

All in all, I'm very happy with my slice.

jonknee

Oct 6, 2008, 2:29:09 PM10/6/08
to Django users

> 2. Slicehost - for those that want COMPLETE control of their hosting
> environment. Only drawback (for some) is that everything needs to be
> installed from scratch.
>
> In the case of Slicehost, I am also curious if the 256 slice is
> sufficient for most Django apps.

I've got a Slicehost 256 and it runs fine, but it all depends on what
you have running. Since you control it all it's up to you how much RAM
is available. Offloading stuff like email makes a difference (I used
Google Apps). And of course how you set things up, I went with nginx
up front proxying to Apache/Django when necessary. Another benefit of
something like Slicehost is if you start getting more traffic and need
more memory it's just a couple clicks away. Though it can be a time
sink to get everything set up in the first place.

Horst Gutmann

Oct 6, 2008, 3:05:28 PM10/6/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
I'm currently running 2 personal sites on a 256MB slice at Slicehost
and each one takes about 30MB with one dedicated mod_wsgi daemon
process (and perhaps a couple of MBs more for servicing static files
through Apache and the database connection). So depending on the size
of your application, a 256MB slice should definitely give you at least
a good starting ground :-)

-- Horst

tupixo

Oct 6, 2008, 5:17:46 PM10/6/08
to Django users
I've been with WebFaction for a long time and I absolutely love them.

One other thing to keep in mind about a VPS is that you have to
maintain the VPS yourself, which can be a pain in the long run (think
security patches).

Kevin.

Kenneth Gonsalves

Oct 6, 2008, 8:13:48 PM10/6/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Monday 06 October 2008 11:00:41 pm Jeff wrote:
> 1. Web Faction - for those that want to get Django up and running as
> quickly and easily as possible, using their automated setup.

go for 64 mb ram

> OR
>
> 2. Slicehost - for those that want COMPLETE control of their hosting
> environment. Only drawback (for some) is that everything needs to be
> installed from scratch.
>
> In the case of Slicehost, I am also curious if the 256 slice is
> sufficient for most Django apps.

it is

--
regards
KG

Anders Bergh

Oct 7, 2008, 7:57:25 AM10/7/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 7:30 PM, Jeff <jeffb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2. Slicehost - for those that want COMPLETE control of their hosting
> environment. Only drawback (for some) is that everything needs to be
> installed from scratch.

I have two vps's from Linode, they're a lot like Slicehost but you get
more bang for the buck. For example, for $20 you get 256 at Slicehost,
but Linode gives you 320 MB. They also give you 2 GB more space. They
both have similar hardware (quad core servers, 64-bit). The "slices"
are 32-bit, but you can go with 64-bit if you want to. That's one of
the reasons why I switched.

http://www.linode.com/

--
Anders Bergh

Benjamin Buch

Oct 7, 2008, 8:41:14 AM10/7/08
to django...@googlegroups.com

Am 06.10.2008 um 19:30 schrieb Jeff:

> I am about to begin a new Django project and I am currently evaluating
> hosting options.

I can recommend djangohosting (http://djangohosting.ch), at least if
you're looking for a host in europe...
It doesn't seem like you do, but I thought I should mention it anyway...

It's great for personal stuff, didn't do something big there (60MB
RAM, 1GB storage, 4€ per month, easy setup...)

benjamin

Masklinn

Oct 7, 2008, 9:43:44 AM10/7/08
to django...@googlegroups.com

On 6 Oct 2008, at 19:30 , Jeff wrote:
> I am about to begin a new Django project and I am currently evaluating
> hosting options. I know there has been a number of discussions on this
> topic, and I have read most of them. However, seeing how quickly
> things change in the web development / hosting world, I wanted to get
> some opinions if the following summary still holds true.

I'd suggest checking http://djangofriendly.com/hosts/

Gour

Oct 7, 2008, 9:49:06 AM10/7/08
to django...@googlegroups.com

Benjamin> I can recommend djangohosting (http://djangohosting.ch), at
Benjamin> least if you're looking for a host in europe... It doesn't
Benjamin> seem like you do, but I thought I should mention it anyway...

Benjamin> It's great for personal stuff, didn't do something big there
Benjamin> (60MB RAM, 1GB storage, 4€ per month, easy setup...)

Heh, nice to hear...I'm also considering to take it...

Is it OK for production site as well?

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour | Zagreb, Croatia | GPG key: C6E7162D

Jarek Zgoda

Oct 7, 2008, 9:55:13 AM10/7/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
Wiadomość napisana w dniu 2008-10-07, o godz. 15:49, przez Gour:

> Benjamin> I can recommend djangohosting (http://djangohosting.ch), at
> Benjamin> least if you're looking for a host in europe... It doesn't
> Benjamin> seem like you do, but I thought I should mention it
> anyway...
>
> Benjamin> It's great for personal stuff, didn't do something big there
> Benjamin> (60MB RAM, 1GB storage, 4€ per month, easy setup...)
>
> Heh, nice to hear...I'm also considering to take it...
>
> Is it OK for production site as well?

I wouldn't go into production with shared hosting if you expect at
least moderate popularity. You'd end up paying more than dedicated
hosting would cost you (eg. at hetzner.de).

--
We read Knuth so you don't have to. - Tim Peters

Jarek Zgoda, R&D, Redefine
jarek...@redefine.pl

Benjamin Buch

Oct 7, 2008, 10:55:48 AM10/7/08
to django...@googlegroups.com

Am 07.10.2008 um 15:49 schrieb Gour:

> Benjamin> I can recommend djangohosting (http://djangohosting.ch), at
> Benjamin> least if you're looking for a host in europe...

> Heh, nice to hear...I'm also considering to take it...

> Is it OK for production site as well?

I'm only hosting personal stuff there, so not much traffic...
As Jarek said, perhaps it's better to go with dedicated hosting if you
plan to have loads of traffic.

But you can always ask the folks at djangohosting what they think of
it directly, they are quite nice and answer quickly.

benjamin

James Matthews

Oct 7, 2008, 1:20:34 PM10/7/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
I use dreamhost and am very happy. I have found there services (uptime and performance) to workout quite well and i love there tech support team.

Brandon Taylor

Oct 7, 2008, 3:35:54 PM10/7/08
to Django users
WebFaction definitely gets my vote.

Setting up a Django app with their control panel couldn't be easier,
and their customer service is excellent.

Brandon Taylor
bTaylor Design
www.btaylordesign.com

Ross Dakin

Oct 8, 2008, 2:43:57 AM10/8/08
to Django users
I'll chime in for Slicehost.

I have the 256 plan and it's great. A few notes:

1) It is a time sink to set it up, but they have many tutorials online
(publicly available) that do a great job of holding your hand if you
aren't a Linux guru (like I'm not).

2) You'll want to fiddle with the Apache config a bit to get the
optimal number of children, max requests per child, etc. for your RAM.

3) I found it amazingly useful to write a new_site.sh script that
automates everything required to set up a new site (file structure,
Django commands, run sed on some nginx and Apache template config
files, etc.). This is actually a work in progress that seems to change
every time I realize there's a better way to do something than what
I'm doing.

Ross

NoviceSortOf

Oct 8, 2008, 4:11:09 AM10/8/08
to Django users
(ROSS) you say 256 RAM but I'm curious if you are
running Ubuntu server or some other distro?

Is 256 RAM sufficient for Ubuntu or should
one allow for more headroom?

I'm leaning towards the Slicehost or Lincode type solution.
Because in the past with frameworks and platforms we have
learned the hard way you need to be ready to move and move
fast whenever your hosting service (for whatever reason)
changes the rules of the game, or you hit a limitation.
Being able to rachet up the memory to the next level can
save a lot of headaches, and sometimes can prove an
instant cure, to problems that would otherwise require
re-coding or re-configuration.

Also it seems an easy matter these days to take a second
hand HD off the stack and mock up a production server
on an old machine then to duplicate that on something
like Slicehost or Linode . Ubuntu server seems the best
candidate for this.

I'm reluctant to work with djangohosting.ch and
the entry Webfaction plans because we have had
problems with how subleased space works with
virtual hosting.

For instance

wwww.mysite.com
may not equal

mysite.com and/or the sites IP number
may not take you to the site.

This gets important when you are setting up rollover scenarios, using
3rd party monitoring/dns services... at least that is where we have
had
snags, but I can imagine there other issues.

Hani

Oct 8, 2008, 9:17:56 AM10/8/08
to Django users
Happy Webfaction user here. :)

Finder

Oct 8, 2008, 10:32:47 AM10/8/08
to Django users
I'm on slicehost with one 256 slice, and one 512...running Django on
the 256 with lighttpd and my forums, email, etc on the 512 with apache
So far Django has still preformed great and when I ran load tests,
lighttpd with Django handled the load very well. We're up to about
3,000 hits per day no problem (I know...not many, but still as much as
typical personal sites get). Php-cgi on lighttpd seemed to hit its cap
and started throwing random errors though which is why I moved it off
on apache.

One nice thing is that if you find yourself needing more, you can load
balance...just get another slice, mirror your django, set up one as
the database server, change lighttpd configuration to point to two
IP's, and you're now load balancing between two django servers with
one lighttpd. (same with apache I believe)
Or increase memory and harddisk quickly if required

Ross Dakin

Oct 8, 2008, 3:03:18 PM10/8/08
to Django users
Yes, you can load balance between slices, AND you can pool your
bandwidth between them (new Slicehost feature).

@NoviceSortof: Yes, I am running a Hardy install with 256 MB. My
typical 'top' breakdown looks like:

- 55% Apache (prefork)
- 10% nginx
- 5% mysql
- 5% postgres
- 5% et al.

So my allocation is around 80%, but 'free' shows the actual usage
(buffers/cache) to hover around 50%. I'm not entirely sure how those
two metrics relate.

Wes Winham

Oct 9, 2008, 2:34:07 PM10/9/08
to Django users
If you're looking for something with some power off the bat (which it
doesn't sound like you are), Amazon's EC2 (http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/)
is amazing. If you start there, you can stay there right up to the
point that you're bigger than amazon.com :) It has the same
disadvantages of slicehost or linode as far as needing to set
everything up yourself, but if you're going to be spending anything
close to $70 on slicehost or linode, you'd be doing yourself a huge
favor by starting with EC2.

Hope that helps
-Wes