No documentation link on admin interface.

waltbrad

Dec 12, 2008, 7:05:38 PM12/12/08
to Django users
I'm using 1.0 -- I keep reading that there is supposed to be one in
the upper right hand corner. I finally had to use Google images to
find an illustration.

But I don't have that link displayed. I do have the "change
password / logout" links, but not the doc link.

Can anybody throw me a hint?

Thanks.

David Lindquist

Dec 12, 2008, 7:20:34 PM12/12/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
The admin documentation requires docutils to be installed.

http://docutils.sourceforge.net/

Malcolm Tredinnick

Dec 12, 2008, 7:24:18 PM12/12/08
to django...@googlegroups.com

The documentation for this has fallen through the cracks since it was
split off from the admin interface (before 1.0).

Add django.contrib.admindocs to your INSTALLED_APPS list. Then add

(r'^admin/doc/', include('django.contrib.admindocs.urls')),

to your URL Conf file. This is documented here:
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/NewformsAdminBranch#Movedadmindocviewsintodjango.contrib.admindocs

which isn't as far out of bounds as it looks. You get there from the 1.0
release notes, to the porting document, which then links to that page.
But, for people coming directly to Django 1.0, we've missed something.
I'll fix that when I get a chance.

Regards,
Malcolm

James Bennett

Dec 12, 2008, 8:51:58 PM12/12/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Malcolm Tredinnick
<mal...@pointy-stick.com> wrote:
> which isn't as far out of bounds as it looks. You get there from the 1.0
> release notes, to the porting document, which then links to that page.
> But, for people coming directly to Django 1.0, we've missed something.
> I'll fix that when I get a chance.

The default root URLConf created by 'django-admin.py startproject'
also includes a pattern for this; you still need to have the admindocs
app in INSTALLED_APPS for the default templates to be picked up, but
it's a start.

If you've got other stuff to hack on, I can put together some docs and
commit them over the weekend.

Malcolm Tredinnick

Dec 12, 2008, 8:58:55 PM12/12/08
to django...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 19:51 -0600, James Bennett wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Malcolm Tredinnick
> <mal...@pointy-stick.com> wrote:
> > which isn't as far out of bounds as it looks. You get there from the 1.0
> > release notes, to the porting document, which then links to that page.
> > But, for people coming directly to Django 1.0, we've missed something.
> > I'll fix that when I get a chance.
>
> The default root URLConf created by 'django-admin.py startproject'
> also includes a pattern for this; you still need to have the admindocs
> app in INSTALLED_APPS for the default templates to be picked up, but
> it's a start.

True. I'd forgotten that.

> If you've got other stuff to hack on, I can put together some docs and
> commit them over the weekend.

Go for it, then. I'm not running out of things to do. Thanks. :-)

Regards,
Malcolm