How popular is Django ?

tom

Feb 12, 2008, 6:00:31 AM2/12/08
to Django users
How popular is Django among other Python Web Frameworks (TurboGears,
Pylons, Webware, CherryPy...) ?

I found a link on the subject :

http://www.therightsoft.com/softwaretechnologies/webframeworks

...but I'm am looking for further resources. Thanks in advance for
your posts !

Jarek Zgoda

Feb 12, 2008, 6:07:29 AM2/12/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
tom napisał(a):

Any statement made based on results of unknown/unspecified/hidden method
is speculation only and should be trated as such.

Please, move on, nothing to see here.

--
Jarek Zgoda
Skype: jzgoda | GTalk: zg...@jabber.aster.pl | voice: +48228430101

"We read Knuth so you don't have to." (Tim Peters)

Malcolm Tredinnick

Feb 12, 2008, 6:12:12 AM2/12/08
to django...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 03:00 -0800, tom wrote:
> How popular is Django among other Python Web Frameworks (TurboGears,
> Pylons, Webware, CherryPy...) ?
>
> I found a link on the subject :
>
> http://www.therightsoft.com/softwaretechnologies/webframeworks

There's no mention at all at that site about how they determined how
popular something is.

How are you hoping to get an accurate answer here. Anybody can download
the framework (and nobody publishes their download numbers), but a
single download could result in any number of sites being produced or no
sites being produced. Factor in subversion updates as well and you have
no way of judging how many people are using the framework.

You'll find Django is more popular than the other frameworks amongst
people subscribed to this list, I would guess. And get a different
result if you asked on the TurboGears list.

Really, you're asking an question that cannot have a sensible answer
unless you conducted a seriously unbiased survey (which you won't be
able to do on any of the framework mailing lists). So perhaps you might
want to rephrase the question. Why is this information important?

Malcolm

--
If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/

Kenneth Gonsalves

Feb 12, 2008, 6:21:37 AM2/12/08
to django...@googlegroups.com

On 12-Feb-08, at 4:30 PM, tom wrote:

> How popular is Django among other Python Web Frameworks (TurboGears,
> Pylons, Webware, CherryPy...) ?

one statistic - read what you want into it.

members in IRC:

August 2005: Django 45, TG 45, ROR 400
February2008: django 339 and growing, TG 52, ROR 278 and declining

--

regards
kg

Hanne Moa

Feb 12, 2008, 7:52:06 AM2/12/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 12, 2008 12:00 PM, tom <tom.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How popular is Django among other Python Web Frameworks (TurboGears,
> Pylons, Webware, CherryPy...) ?
>
> I found a link on the subject :
>
> http://www.therightsoft.com/softwaretechnologies/webframeworks

Where's Drupal on this list?

HM, who'd rather avoid php...

Jeff

Feb 12, 2008, 4:13:37 PM2/12/08
to Django users
Django is so popular that it barely even notices me. It walks right
by me and sits with the popular kids in the lunch room. It even sits
at the back of the bus. Yesterday, Django took my lunch money.

Kenneth Gonsalves

Feb 12, 2008, 7:46:15 PM2/12/08
to django...@googlegroups.com

On 12-Feb-08, at 6:22 PM, Hanne Moa wrote:

Drupal is not a web framework - it is a CMS.

James Bennett

Feb 12, 2008, 8:56:29 PM2/12/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 12, 2008 5:00 AM, tom <tom.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How popular is Django among other Python Web Frameworks (TurboGears,
> Pylons, Webware, CherryPy...) ?

More popular than rotting meat. Not as popular as sliced bread. Beyond
that, hard to narrow down.