Error - 'int' object is unsubscriptable

mateo

Apr 21, 2007, 1:44:39 PM4/21/07
to Django users
List,

When following the tutorial I get the below error when attempting a
save from the admin console. I'm new to Django and certainly not a
guru of any sort so I thought I would ask about it here first before
posting a bug report. I am using the latest SVN release as of 4/21.
Any ideas what might be going on?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py"
in get_response
77. response = callback(request, *callback_args, **callback_kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/contrib/admin/views/
decorators.py" in _checklogin
55. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/views/decorators/
cache.py" in _wrapped_view_func
39. response = view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/contrib/admin/views/
main.py" in change_stage
329. new_object = manipulator.save(new_data)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/db/models/
manipulators.py" in save
191. param = f.get_manipulator_new_data(rel_new_data, rel=True)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/db/models/fields/
__init__.py" in get_manipulator_new_data
289. return new_data.get(self.name, [self.get_default()])[0]

TypeError at /admin/polls/poll/1/
'int' object is unsubscriptable

Jay Parlar

Apr 21, 2007, 2:03:00 PM4/21/07
to django...@googlegroups.com

What stage of the tutorial, exactly, did this error occur at? Could
you also please copy and paste the contents of your models.py file
with your response?

Jay P.

mateo

Apr 21, 2007, 5:27:43 PM4/21/07
to Django users
> What stage of the tutorial, exactly, did this error occur at? Could
> you also please copy and paste the contents of your models.py file
> with your response?
>
> Jay P.

I am on part 2, 'Custominze the Admin Change List'. (http://
www.djangoproject.com/documentation/tutorial02/#customize-the-admin-change-list)

Here is my copy of models.

thanks, mateo

from django.db import models
import datetime

class Poll(models.Model):
question = models.CharField(maxlength=200)
pub_date = models.DateTimeField('date published')

def __str__(self):
return self.question

def was_published_today(self):
return self.pub_date.date() == datetime.date.today()
was_published_today.short_description = 'Published today?'

class Admin:
list_display = ('question', 'pub_date', 'was_published_today')
list_filter = ['pub_date']
search_fields = ['question']
date_hierarchy = 'pub_date'
fields = (
(None, {'fields': ('question',)}),
('Date information', {'fields': ('pub_date',), 'classes':
'collapse'}),
)

class Choice(models.Model):
poll = models.ForeignKey(Poll, edit_inline=models.TABULAR,
num_in_admin=3)
choice = models.CharField(maxlength=200, core=True)
votes = models.IntegerField(core=True)

Jay Parlar

Apr 21, 2007, 5:46:11 PM4/21/07
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 4/21/07, mateo <Matthew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am on part 2, 'Custominze the Admin Change List'. (http://
> www.djangoproject.com/documentation/tutorial02/#customize-the-admin-change-list)

Sorry, I meant, what stage exactly did it break? ie., did you go
through tutorial 2 step by step, checking that the Admin looks like it
does in the tutorial, after each change, or did you just put in all
the code and try it? It'd be helpful to know what the last part was
that still worked, and what change caused it to break.

Jay P.

mateo

Apr 21, 2007, 6:02:48 PM4/21/07
to Django users
I've been following the code step by step and checking along the way,
but I didn't try to save anything up until the end of that section.
The admin console itself works fine, it isn't until I hit 'save' (or
one of it's variations) that I get the error. I will rollback the
models.py tutorial code a bit and see if I get the same error.

On Apr 21, 2:46 pm, "Jay Parlar" <par...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/21/07, mateo <Matthew.Skir...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am on part 2, 'Custominze the Admin Change List'. (http://

> >www.djangoproject.com/documentation/tutorial02/#customize-the-admin-c...)

mateo

Apr 21, 2007, 6:16:44 PM4/21/07
to Django users
I've found that if I add the 'admin' subclass to the 'choices' class
and remove 'edit_inline=models.TABULAR, num_in_admin=3' from
the Foreign Key I can save new entries just fine. The error only pops
up when I have the 'choices' edited inline with the 'polls'.

Jay Parlar

Apr 21, 2007, 7:09:11 PM4/21/07
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 4/21/07, mateo <Matthew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've found that if I add the 'admin' subclass to the 'choices' class
> and remove 'edit_inline=models.TABULAR, num_in_admin=3' from
> the Foreign Key I can save new entries just fine. The error only pops
> up when I have the 'choices' edited inline with the 'polls'.

Well that's certainly less than desirable. If you have the time (and
know-how with Python), maybe download the 0.96 release, and try with
that, just to make sure that something didn't get screwed up recently
in SVN. I'd try myself, but I've run out of time for the evening.

Also, in the code you posted, the indents seem to be quite strange.
Maybe it's just the way Gmail formats it, but it looks like you're
using indent levels of 5 and 3 in different places. Try to stay
consistent and just use 4.

Jay P.

mateo

Apr 21, 2007, 7:20:15 PM4/21/07
to Django users
Jay,

Thanks for all your help. I found this ticket (http://
code.djangoproject.com/ticket/3708) and switched from python 2.5 back
to 2.4 and now everythings working fine. Since it's a known issue,
I'll just leave it alone and continue on with 2.4. As for the
indents, I think it's just the formating here, everythings at 4 in
scribes.

Thanks again,
mateo