No logging with lighttpd + fastcgi

Brian Victor

Aug 2, 2008, 11:58:40 AM8/2/08
to Django users
When DEBUG is off in settings.py and I do something that causes an
error in my application, I can't find the traceback logged anywhere.

In my lighttpd.conf, server.errorlog and accesslog.filename are both
set, and the files are being used by the server. When I run manage.py
runfcgi, I'm using the outlog and errlog parameters. The files I
specify are getting created, but neither of them get tracebacks (or
anything else) placed in them.

What else do I need to do to have my tracebacks logged? Thanks!

--
Brian

spacetaxi

Aug 12, 2008, 9:01:14 AM8/12/08
to Django users
On 2 Aug., 17:58, Brian Victor <homeusen...@brianhv.org> wrote:
> When DEBUG is off in settings.py and I do something that causes an
> error in my application, I can't find the traceback logged anywhere.
>
> In my lighttpd.conf, server.errorlog and accesslog.filename are both
> set, and the files are being used by the server.  When I run manage.py
> runfcgi, I'm using the outlog and errlog parameters.  The files I
> specify are getting created, but neither of them get tracebacks (or
> anything else) placed in them.

Hi Brian,

did you find a solution for this problem?

I'm experiencing the same problem with Apache2/FastCGI:
- No traceback is logged.
- No notification email is sent to the admins listed in
settings.ADMINS, when an error occurs. This *was* working some time
ago - and I didn't change any configuration relating to this stuff. I
only keep my django up-to-date with trunk...

Does anybody have a clue about what may be the cause for the described
problems? TIA!

-Stephan

spacetaxi

Aug 12, 2008, 9:22:32 AM8/12/08
to Django users
A little status update:

On 12 Aug., 15:01, spacetaxi <spacet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm experiencing the same problem with Apache2/FastCGI:
> - No traceback is logged.

This problem still exists.

> - No notification email is sent to the admins listed in
> settings.ADMINS

This problem is solved. It had nothing to do with django but with our
mail server silently discarding some mails. So, sorry for suspecting
django for causing this problem!

But, I still need to fix the first problem...

-Stephan

Brian Victor

Aug 12, 2008, 12:51:58 PM8/12/08
to Django users
To answer your question from your first response, no, I don't have a
solution for this yet. I'm not even sure where to go from here. (For
those listeners just joining us, the topic of conversation is a lack
of error messages and tracebacks in either the fastcgi or lighttpd log
files.)

That said,

On Aug 12, 9:22 am, spacetaxi <spacet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > - No notification email is sent to the admins listed in
> > settings.ADMINS
> This problem is solved. It had nothing to do with django but with our
> mail server silently discarding some mails. So, sorry for suspecting
> django for causing this problem!

I didn't even realize this was a feature. That may alleviate my need
somewhat, but it would still be nice to get logging working. Thanks
for pointing it out!

--
Brian

erny

Sep 23, 2008, 10:56:29 PM9/23/08
to Django users
This problem still exists with django-1.0.

I've been researching a bit:
http://code.djangoproject.com/changeset/7297
does some changes. It works if I comment out the os.dup2 lines, but
that may not be very robust. I'm using threaded model, not fork.