Unicode JSON Serialization Bug?

mynameisgabe

Aug 30, 2007, 5:12:42 PM8/30/07
to Django users
Hello All-

I've been told that I may have encountered a bug - I'm trying to
serialize a model that includes fields that could be unicode data.
Here is the information I collected. Let me know if there's anything
else that would be helpful.

Specs of the local dev workstation - having the same issues in prod
using Linux/FastCGI:

Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 SP 2
Python 2.4.4
Latest Django from SVN: 0.97-pre-SVN-6024
SQLite3
Using internal django web server (for dev)

Here's the traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\django\core\handlers\base.py" in
get_response
77. response = callback(request, *callback_args, **callback_kwargs)
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Gabe Harriman\My
Documents\dev\texty\cms\views.py" in syndicate
178. comments = serializers.serialize("json",
texty.comment_set.all(), fields=('name','comment','created_date',),
ensure_ascii=False)
File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\django\core\serializers
\__init__.py"
in serialize
67. s.serialize(queryset, **options)
File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\django\core\serializers\base.py"
in serialize
50. self.end_serialization()
File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\django\core\serializers\json.py"
in end_serialization
26. simplejson.dump(self.objects, self.stream,
cls=DjangoJSONEncoder, **self.options)
File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\django\utils\simplejson
\__init__.py" in dump
139. fp.write(chunk)

UnicodeEncodeError at /cms/syndicate/d5f8eba5-d4a8-4590-
a3d9-4d9e34503c5b.js
'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 1-7: ordinal not
in range(128)

Unicode error hint:
The string that could not be encoded/decoded was: "ﺥﺾﻤﻼﺚﻴﻴ"

As you can see from above, the error starts here:

comments = serializers.serialize("json", texty.comment_set.all(),
fields=('name','comment','created_date',), ensure_ascii=False)

The data in the name field is "ﺥﺾﻤﻼﺚﻴﻴ". The rest is normal ascii
data.

Let me know if this looks like a bug or not. If not, I'll keep
hacking away on my end. Sorry if I left anything out - I'm new to
this whole unicode thing.

mynameisgabe

Aug 31, 2007, 10:04:35 PM8/31/07
to Django users
Does anyone have any idea about this one? I'm kind of in a bind on
this one.

Thanks!

Gabe

On Aug 30, 2:12 pm, mynameisgabe <mynameisg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All-
>

> I've been told that I may have encountered abug- I'm trying to

> Unicodeerror hint:

> The string that could not be encoded/decoded was: "ﺥﺾﻤﻼﺚﻴﻴ"
>
> As you can see from above, the error starts here:
>
> comments = serializers.serialize("json", texty.comment_set.all(),
> fields=('name','comment','created_date',), ensure_ascii=False)
>
> The data in the name field is "ﺥﺾﻤﻼﺚﻴﻴ". The rest is normal ascii
> data.
>

> Let me know if this looks like abugor not. If not, I'll keep

mynameisgabe

Aug 31, 2007, 10:13:25 PM8/31/07
to Django users
After doing more searching I ran across this post, claiming that the
ensure_ascii argument was worthless and caused the bug. I removed it
from the argument list and all is well!!

http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/87b1478c02d743e0/e4849fcf74147466?lnk=gst&q=unicode+json&rnum=9#e4849fcf74147466

Is this bug documented?