recommended javascript books/tutorials/howtos?

Gábor Farkas

Feb 14, 2006, 5:07:08 AM2/14/06
to django...@googlegroups.com
hi,

i'd like to increase/enhance my javascript knowledge, which right now is
rather limited (zero?) :)

so, are there are books/websites you can recommend?

i'm primarily interested in the application of javascript to the
webpages, so DOM manipulation and things like that.

of course i am also interested in learning about the object-model of
javascript and things like that, but what i'm lacking right now is the
knowledge about the javascript-webpage interaction.

thanks,
gabor

limodou

Feb 14, 2006, 5:18:33 AM2/14/06
to django...@googlegroups.com
There is a website focus on events that occurs in ajax and javascript
world, you can take a look.

http://ajaxian.com/

And mochikit maybe a very good startpoint.

http://mochikit.com/

--
I like python!
My Blog: http://www.donews.net/limodou

Steven Armstrong

Feb 14, 2006, 6:59:15 AM2/14/06
to django...@googlegroups.com

I'ld have a look at "JavaScript - The Definitive Guide" by David
Flanagan [1].

An in dept overview of the language and at the same time a complete
reference.

In my JS-learning-days I always had it with me, used it daily.

cheers
Steven

[1] http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jscript4/

Jiri Barton

Feb 14, 2006, 7:45:24 AM2/14/06
to Django users
The javascript language itself (plus browser javascript interface -
this is rather messy IMHO):

http://wp.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/3.0/handbook/javascript/

I have found the following reference very valuable. It describes the
MSIE web browser javascript interface. Surprisingly, it is from
Microsoft (surprisingly, the documentation is useful). Of course, skip
the non-W3C parts (they are well marked in the documentation).

HTH,
jbar

Jeremy Dunck

Feb 14, 2006, 10:25:50 AM2/14/06
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 2/14/06, Gábor Farkas <ga...@nekomancer.net> wrote:
> i'd like to increase/enhance my javascript knowledge, which right now is
> rather limited (zero?) :)

Aside from the usual book recommendations, I suggest you go get dojo.

That's the largest body of well-written javascript I've ever seen.
Read that code and ask questions on the mailing list.

http://dojotoolkit.org/

James Bennett

Feb 14, 2006, 11:15:37 AM2/14/06
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 2/14/06, Steven Armstrong <s...@c-area.ch> wrote:
> I'ld have a look at "JavaScript - The Definitive Guide" by David
> Flanagan [1].

Seconded. Reading this book will make you understand JavaScript on a
deep level, and then doing web stuff with JavaScript just becomes a
matter of learning the DOM API, which is documented in the book and
online.

And don't let the 2001 publication date fool you; this book is still
very relevant.

--
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
-- George Carlin

Kenneth Gonsalves

Feb 14, 2006, 9:40:06 PM2/14/06
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday 14 Feb 2006 9:45 pm, James Bennett wrote:
> And don't let the 2001 publication date fool you; this book is
> still very relevant.
+1

--
regards
kg

http://www.livejournal.com/users/lawgon
tally ho! http://avsap.org.in
ಇಂಡ್ಲಿನಕ್ಸ வாழ்க!

Luke Plant

Feb 15, 2006, 6:12:47 PM2/15/06
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday 14 February 2006 10:07, Gábor Farkas wrote:

> i'd like to increase/enhance my javascript knowledge, which right now
> is rather limited (zero?) :)
>
> so, are there are books/websites you can recommend?
>
> i'm primarily interested in the application of javascript to the
> webpages, so DOM manipulation and things like that.

I have found this absolutely indispensable:

http://www.visibone.com/products/cardcollection.html

It includes lots of other web stuff (or you can just buy the JS sheets),
and it has compatibility information for all the major browsers (even
including Konqueror) for everything in it. I could rave all day about
it...

Luke

--
"Making it up? Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough
as it is without wanting to invent any more of it." (Marvin the

Luke Plant || L.Plant.98 (at) cantab.net || http://lukeplant.me.uk/

Graham King

Feb 16, 2006, 5:00:09 AM2/16/06
to django...@googlegroups.com

Luke Plant wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 February 2006 10:07, Gábor Farkas wrote:
>

>>i'd like to increase/enhance my javascript knowledge, which right now
>>is rather limited (zero?) :)
>>
>>so, are there are books/websites you can recommend?
>>
>>i'm primarily interested in the application of javascript to the
>>webpages, so DOM manipulation and things like that.
>

> I have found this absolutely indispensable:
>
> http://www.visibone.com/products/cardcollection.html
>
> It includes lots of other web stuff (or you can just buy the JS sheets),
> and it has compatibility information for all the major browsers (even
> including Konqueror) for everything in it. I could rave all day about
> it...
>
> Luke

I have heard good things about this book:

http://domscripting.com/book/

I use the O'Reilly pocket reference all the time at home and work, and
it is very good (and cheap too):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1565925211/102-7652808-2130539?v=glance&n=283155

On the web, I use this as a quick reference:

http://www.devguru.com/technologies/javascript/home.asp

(note that it is missing the Node and Element objects, so the pocket
reference book trumps it)

Best regards,
Graham.