MySQL backend patch

Andy Dustman

Aug 31, 2006, 1:40:57 PM8/31/06
to django...@googlegroups.com
I've come up with a patch to the MySQL backend. If you use MySQL,
please check it out.

http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/2635

One of the issues to resolve is: What is the minimum version of MySQL
which Django should support? I am doing all my development with 5.0,
and the early deployment I have so far is on 4.1, but I haven't tested
the patch against 4.1 yet. Does anyone use anything older than 4.1?
Should this be a MySQL-5.0-specific backend and the existing one left
alone, i.e. make this one mysql5? Please discuss on this thread.

--
This message has been scanned for memes and
dangerous content by MindScanner, and is

Geert Vanderkelen

Aug 31, 2006, 3:38:37 PM8/31/06
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy,

On 31 Aug 2006, at 19:40, Andy Dustman wrote:

> I've come up with a patch to the MySQL backend. If you use MySQL,
> please check it out.
>
> http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/2635
>
> One of the issues to resolve is: What is the minimum version of MySQL
> which Django should support? I am doing all my development with 5.0,
> and the early deployment I have so far is on 4.1, but I haven't tested
> the patch against 4.1 yet. Does anyone use anything older than 4.1?
> Should this be a MySQL-5.0-specific backend and the existing one left
> alone, i.e. make this one mysql5? Please discuss on this thread.

I'm not fan starting making different versions of it, but it might
make sense due to big differences.

But MySQL 4.0 is reaching it's end-of-life, and so is 4.1 soon. I
know that doesn't mean it is going to disappear anytime soon, but..

I'd rather see these backend naming then:
- mysql: for MySQL 4.1 and 5.0 and higher..
- mysql4: for MySQL 4.0 and 4.1

There is already some migration going on from 4.x to 5.0, so I think
we should go for 5.0 as 'default' backend. But that is just my opinion.
MySQL 4.1 is like the thing between.. So I guess we could make both
'mysql' and 'mysql4' 4.1 compatible, or?

Just looking into the future, when for example MySQL 6.0 comes out,
it will be more compatible with 5.x series than 4.0 was with the 5.0
version. Well, that's what I hope :)

If you need more of my help or info, let me know. Patch looks good to
me, will put more time in when I get back next week.

Cheers,

Geert

--
Geert Vanderkelen
http://some-abstract-type.com

Waylan Limberg

Aug 31, 2006, 4:47:18 PM8/31/06
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 8/31/06, Geert Vanderkelen <ge...@kemuri.org> wrote:

> There is already some migration going on from 4.x to 5.0, so I think
> we should go for 5.0 as 'default' backend. But that is just my opinion.

Just remember that all those shared hosting companies are very slow to
migrate at all. I'd hate to see something that greatly limits the
ability for people to use django just because they can't afford/don't
need top of the line hosting.

--
----
Waylan Limberg

d...@simon.net.nz

Sep 1, 2006, 12:36:58 AM9/1/06
to Django users
I think, unfortunately, two branches is the way to go (<=4.1 and 5.0<=)
- there are hosts out there who still provide 3.28, Debian sarge is
4.0.2. So - I guess the question is - what version of MySQL does
Django's backend work with at the moment.

I'm running the patch right now, and haven't seen any issues with a
quick play (5.0.24 on OSX).

I do like the fact that it sets ANSI,TRADITIONAL.

--Simon