createsuperuser error

jurian

Jun 20, 2008, 2:03:31 AM6/20/08
to Django users
I'm getting the following error message when I try to run syncdb:

Error: Unknown command: 'createsuperuser'

All the tables are created, but as soon as it enter 'yes' to create
the super user the error appears.

I've got no clue as to what might be causing the problem.

I'm using the latest 'newforms-admin' from SVN.

Thanks

jurian

Jun 20, 2008, 2:17:50 AM6/20/08
to Django users
I see now that this error doen not occur on an older version of the
'newforms-admin' branch, so I assume that something was broken with a
recent update.

Karen Tracey

Jun 20, 2008, 8:49:13 AM6/20/08
to django...@googlegroups.com

I cannot recreate this error with current (r7713) SVN newforms-admin.  What revision were you using when you saw this error?  Do you still see it with r7713 or higher?  If so, more details like system type might be helpful.

Karen

chris.gemignani

Jun 20, 2008, 4:25:32 PM6/20/08
to Django users
We're seeing this error with django trunk on Ubuntu 8.04 and OS X.
It's present when you use "django-admin.py syncdb" but not in "python
manage.py syncdb".

Karen Tracey

Jun 21, 2008, 12:16:34 AM6/21/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 4:25 PM, chris.gemignani <chris.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
We're seeing this error with django trunk on Ubuntu 8.04 and OS X.
It's present when you use "django-admin.py syncdb" but not in "python
manage.py syncdb".

Ah, thanks, that django-admin bit is the key difference; I was using manage.py to try to recreate.  I looked into this a little and filed a ticket with as much as I was able to figure out:

http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/7518

Not sure what the right fix is so no patch in the ticket, for now using manage.py instead of django-admin.py would seem to be the workaround to avoid the problem.

Thanks,
Karen

Graham Carlyle

Jun 27, 2008, 7:15:21 AM6/27/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to check that the devs are aware that this bug is quite
significant.

If you use django-admin on trunk then syncdb breaks.

The trac tickets relating to it summarise it all (7518 being a duplicate
of 5943) and the awaiting patch seems to fix the problem.

Apologies if its all in hand, just not really sure how "accepted"
tickets are then prioritised.

cheers,
Graham

Russell Keith-Magee

Jun 28, 2008, 4:34:49 AM6/28/08
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Graham Carlyle
<graham....@maplecroft.net> wrote:

> Just wanted to check that the devs are aware that this bug is quite
> significant.

Aware of the problem, aware of the patches for the fix. The problem is
testing - django-admin is one of the pieces of Django that doesn't
have an automated testing suite, so its quite easy to inadvertantly
break functionality with a 'trivial' patch (this has happened several
times in the past).

I've been looking at ways to improve on this situation, but even if I
don't find a solution for the testing issue, I intend to make sure
#5943 and a few other django-admin patches are in trunk before v1.0
lands.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)