ANN: Translations of Django move to Transifex

Jannis Leidel

Jan 21, 2011, 3:27:21 PM1/21/11
to django-d...@googlegroups.com, Django I18N
Hi all,

I'm very happy to announce today the move of Django's own translation efforts to a hosted platform based on the Open Source project Transifex:

http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/django/

It will make it easier to submit updates for the 63 translations Django currently has, lower the maintance burden for the core team and make it trivially easy to add entirely new translations in the future.

As part of this change we've moved the contrib app translations from the django/conf/locale/ directories to their proper locations in the app directories to get better translation statistics and isolate the translation catalogues correctly. This of course only applies to trunk and *not* the release branches.

What this means for translators
-------------------------------

Submitting translation updates requires an account at http://www.transifex.net from now on. You won't have to create patches against the current Subversion trunk or create tickets anymore.

See the Django contributing docs [1] and the Transifex User Guide [2] for more details.

What this means for core devs
-----------------------------

Updates to translations that have been made on Transifex.net will need to be pulled using the transifex-client [3] just prior to rolling a release or whenever it's convenient (e.g. after having added new strings). The required configuraton file (``.tx/config``) has been added to trunk. More information about the transifex-client can be found in its documentation. [4]

If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)

Jannis

1: http://django.me/contributing-translations
2: http://help.transifex.net/user-guide/
3: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/transifex-client/
4: http://help.transifex.net/user-guide/client/

Aljoša Mohorović

Jan 21, 2011, 4:24:07 PM1/21/11
On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 9:27 PM, Jannis Leidel <lei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)

how will 1.3 release be handled?
should translators use transifex for 1.3 release?

Aljosa

Jannis Leidel

Jan 21, 2011, 4:54:57 PM1/21/11
to djang...@googlegroups.com

Yes, starting today Transifex can be used by the translators to update the translations. We will pull the updates from there before we release 1.3.

Jannis

Filip Dupanović

Jan 23, 2011, 6:29:07 AM1/23/11
to Django I18N
Great move!

Can we expect new language teams to be created when 1.3's code-freeze
sets in?

Filip

On Jan 21, 9:27 pm, Jannis Leidel <lei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm very happy to announce today the move of Django's own translation efforts to a hosted platform based on the Open Source project Transifex:
>
>  http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/django/
>
> It will make it easier to submit updates for the 63 translations Django currently has, lower the maintance burden for the core team and make it trivially easy to add entirely new translations in the future.
>
> As part of this change we've moved the contrib app translations from the django/conf/locale/ directories to their proper locations in the app directories to get better translation statistics and isolate the translation catalogues correctly. This of course only applies to trunk and *not* the release branches.
>
> What this means for translators
> -------------------------------
>
> Submitting translation updates requires an account athttp://www.transifex.netfrom now on. You won't have to create patches against the current Subversion trunk or create tickets anymore.

Jannis Leidel

Jan 23, 2011, 7:27:13 AM1/23/11
to djang...@googlegroups.com
On 23.01.2011, at 12:29, Filip Dupanović wrote:

> Great move!
>
> Can we expect new language teams to be created when 1.3's code-freeze
> sets in?

Yes, defintely, but we are still in a somewhat early stage of the migration process, and there are a few workflow issues to figure out. In other words, please be patient in case we haven't responded to your language team request yet.

Since we already had a few people devoted to each language in our "old" translation workflow, we'd like to politely ask those translators to step up as coordinators of their language team. That will help us to keep the high quality of the translations that we are used to.

Jannis

Nicola Larosa

Jan 23, 2011, 7:35:15 AM1/23/11
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Jannis Leidel wrote:
> Since we already had a few people devoted to each language in our
> "old" translation workflow, we'd like to politely ask those
> translators to step up as coordinators of their language team.

Italian translator here, stepping up. What do I do? :-)

Transifex account name: teknico .

--
Nicola Larosa - http://www.tekNico.net/

The root of civilization, and a major source of human 'evil', is simply
that we became clever enough to extend our power beyond our empathy.
- Ran Prieur, quoted by Dave Pollard, September 2010

rebus_

Jan 23, 2011, 8:05:51 AM1/23/11
to djang...@googlegroups.com
On 23 January 2011 13:27, Jannis Leidel <lei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since we already had a few people devoted to each language in our "old" translation workflow, we'd like to politely ask those translators to step up as coordinators of their language team. That will help us to keep the high quality of the translations that we are used to.

Aljoša Mohorović is the main translation coordinator for Django
Croatian translations.
I have made a request for for Croatian (hr) language team on transifex
since no request was made when I went to look for Django on transifex
yesterday so I made one myself.

If you approve the team he will still be made coordinator as soon as
he makes a request to join the team . I've sent him an email
concerning this but he is yet to reply due to very little free time I
suspect.
If it makes more sense, please deny my request so he can create another one.

I apologise for taking your time,

Davor Lučić (Transifex account: rebus)

Jannis Leidel

Jan 23, 2011, 8:20:13 AM1/23/11
to djang...@googlegroups.com
On 23.01.2011, at 13:35, Nicola Larosa wrote:

> Jannis Leidel wrote:
>> Since we already had a few people devoted to each language in our
>> "old" translation workflow, we'd like to politely ask those
>> translators to step up as coordinators of their language team.
>
> Italian translator here, stepping up. What do I do? :-)
>
> Transifex account name: teknico .

Done.

Jannis Leidel

Jan 23, 2011, 8:20:21 AM1/23/11
to djang...@googlegroups.com
On 23.01.2011, at 14:05, rebus_ wrote:

> On 23 January 2011 13:27, Jannis Leidel <lei...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Since we already had a few people devoted to each language in our "old" translation workflow, we'd like to politely ask those translators to step up as coordinators of their language team. That will help us to keep the high quality of the translations that we are used to.
>
> Aljoša Mohorović is the main translation coordinator for Django
> Croatian translations.
> I have made a request for for Croatian (hr) language team on transifex
> since no request was made when I went to look for Django on transifex
> yesterday so I made one myself.

Yeah, that make sense, no worries.

> If you approve the team he will still be made coordinator as soon as
> he makes a request to join the team . I've sent him an email
> concerning this but he is yet to reply due to very little free time I
> suspect.
> If it makes more sense, please deny my request so he can create another one.

I've created a Croation team and added you as a member. Once Aljoša asks for team membership I'll add him right away.

Jannis

Meir Kriheli

Jan 23, 2011, 8:23:21 AM1/23/11
to djang...@googlegroups.com, Jannis Leidel
Hi,

On 01/23/2011 02:27 PM, Jannis Leidel wrote:
> On 23.01.2011, at 12:29, Filip Dupanović wrote:
>
>> Great move!
>>
>> Can we expect new language teams to be created when 1.3's code-freeze
>> sets in?
>
> Yes, defintely, but we are still in a somewhat early stage of the migration process, and there are a few workflow issues to figure out. In other words, please be patient in case we haven't responded to your language team request yet.
>
> Since we already had a few people devoted to each language in our "old" translation workflow, we'd like to politely ask those translators to step up as coordinators of their language team. That will help us to keep the high quality of the translations that we are used to.
>

> Jannis

Hebrew translator, Transifex username: mksoft

Cheers
--
Meir Kriheli

Jannis Leidel

Jan 23, 2011, 8:54:47 AM1/23/11
to Django I18N
On 23.01.2011, at 14:23, Meir Kriheli wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 01/23/2011 02:27 PM, Jannis Leidel wrote:
>> On 23.01.2011, at 12:29, Filip Dupanović wrote:
>>
>>> Great move!
>>>
>>> Can we expect new language teams to be created when 1.3's code-freeze
>>> sets in?
>>
>> Yes, defintely, but we are still in a somewhat early stage of the migration process, and there are a few workflow issues to figure out. In other words, please be patient in case we haven't responded to your language team request yet.
>>
>> Since we already had a few people devoted to each language in our "old" translation workflow, we'd like to politely ask those translators to step up as coordinators of their language team. That will help us to keep the high quality of the translations that we are used to.
>>

>> Jannis
>>

> Hebrew translator, Transifex username: mksoft

Thanks, I added you to the already existing Hebrew team which is coordinated by Alex Gaynor at the moment. Feel free to get in touch with him in case you want to take over.

Jannis

rajeesh

Jan 23, 2011, 1:41:34 PM1/23/11
to Django I18N
Malayalam translator here, transifex username: rajeesh

>> Since we already had a few people devoted to each language in our "old" translation workflow, we'd like to politely ask those translators to step up as coordinators of their language team. That will help us to keep the high quality of the translations that we are used to.

Rajeesh.

Jarek Zgoda

Jan 24, 2011, 3:42:42 AM1/24/11
to Django I18N
On 21 Sty, 21:27, Jannis Leidel <lei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Submitting translation updates requires an account athttp://www.transifex.netfrom now on. You won't have to create patches against the current Subversion trunk or create tickets anymore.

This is too much of a burden to me, i'm resigning from being a
maintainer of pl localization. I kindly ask to no longer auto-assign
to me the tickets concerning pl i18n/l10n in django trac.

Cheers
j.

Dimitris Glezos

Jan 24, 2011, 1:12:18 PM1/24/11
to djang...@googlegroups.com

Hey Jarek.

Is the extra burden you're feeling related to the upgrade or to
something irrelevant?

I'm asking because, with the new workflow, translations feel more
lightweight than before. Previously we had to open tickets for every
commit. Now, there's a web editor and, alternatively, offline
translations are a three-step procedure:

$ tx pull
<translate using favorite editor>
$ tx push

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos

Marian Andre

Jan 26, 2011, 5:00:35 PM1/26/11
to djang...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Jannis Leidel <lei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since we already had a few people devoted to each language in our "old" translation workflow, we'd like to politely ask those translators to step up as coordinators of their language team. That will help us to keep the high quality of the translations that we are used to.

Slovak translator - transifex username: andrem

Thanks,
Marian