projects from the two JBs

James Tauber

Mar 20, 2007, 3:09:32 AM3/20/07
to django-...@googlegroups.com

James Bennett put me on to Jonathan Buchanan's projects django-
tagging and django-voting. Jonathan also has a django-discussion
project (all at Google Code Project Hosting)

I think these are all great candidates as Hot Club of France
components and so I invited Jonathan to join this list (which he has).

I'd like to throw a strawman proposal out to this list:

What if we start with:

- django-tagging
- django-voting
- django-discussion
- django-registration

and answer the following questions:

(1) what are some other generic applications that would fit nicely
on this list?
(2) what conventions can we extract from these to make them all play
nicely together?

What do people think? One way to answer (1) is to think of a bunch of
website and ask what generic features are not covered in this list.

James
--
James Tauber http://jtauber.com/
journeyman of some http://jtauber.com/blog/

James Tauber

Mar 20, 2007, 3:27:29 AM3/20/07
to django-...@googlegroups.com
On 20/03/2007, at 4:09 PM, James Tauber wrote:
> (1) what are some other generic applications that would fit nicely
> on this list?

> What do people think? One way to answer (1) is to think of a bunch of

> website and ask what generic features are not covered in this list.

So consider LinkedIn. It's basically a combination of a resume (or
just advanced profile) editor app, a social networking app and
(recently) an "answers" app.

I'd like to see the social networking (i.e. linking to other users)
component made generic as a django app following HCoF conventions,
although any of the three parts to LinkedIn could be written as
django apps.

The consider something like Amazon.com and consider not only the
product catalog (which could be a HCoF app) shopping cart (which
could also be a HCoF app) but the customer reviews (already covered
by Jonathan), tagging (already covered by Jonathan), friends (would
be covered by the previously mentioned social networking app),
recommendations (another very useful app) etc, etc.

Or consider the family of sites 43things, 43people and 43places. They
can similarly be deconstructed into potential HCoF apps. In fact,
most of what's needed is already covered.

You get the idea.

James

Adam Blinkinsop

Mar 28, 2007, 1:39:23 PM3/28/07
to django-hotclub
On Mar 20, 12:27 am, James Tauber <jtau...@jtauber.com> wrote:
> (1) what are some other generic applications that would fit nicely
> on this list?
> What do people think? One way to answer (1) is to think of a bunch of
> website and ask what generic features are not covered in this list.

Logs. As in, web logs (text), photo logs, video logs, etc.
Potentially a "killer app" for HCoF, like Typo/Wordpress/etc.

Adam Blinkinsop

Mar 28, 2007, 1:41:28 PM3/28/07
to django-hotclub

(Note that the Google Code for this is at djangolog.)