reverse pagination be made default?

Amit Upadhyay

Jul 22, 2007, 8:54:19 PM7/22/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have just uploaded a patch for what I call "reverse pagination". Please read about it here: http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/4956. You can see it in action on my blog: http://www.amitu.com/blog/.

The following will make sense after you have read the patch etc.

I was trying to write the documentation to go with the patch, and I managed this:
    * ``reverse_pagination``: Default False. If this is set to true, objects are
      paginated in reverse. In reverse pagination, page number 1 is assigned to
    oldest page, where as in normal pagination it is given to latest page. There
    are some caching advantages when using this.
I find this quite confusing, and would need some help from someone. To avoid confusion I was wondering if reverse pagination should be made default. The thing is I find reverse pagination to be advantageous than the normal, and I feel it should be the default behavior in stock django installation.

There have been a couple of other backward-in-compatible changes, can this be considered?

--
Amit Upadhyay
Vakow! www.vakow.com

Tom Tobin

Jul 22, 2007, 10:35:36 PM7/22/07
On 7/22/07, Amit Upadhyay <upad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just uploaded a patch for what I call "reverse pagination". Please
> read about it here:
> http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/4956. You can see it
> in action on my blog: http://www.amitu.com/blog/.
[...]

> To avoid confusion I was wondering if reverse pagination should be made default.

This assumes pagination is always done on date-sorted items; there are
plenty of other uses for pagination (e.g., splitting up a very long
list of books, sorted alphabetically by title). I *really* wouldn't
want to wonder why my books are suddenly going Z-A when my default
sorting is A-Z.

Luke Plant

Jul 23, 2007, 9:28:18 AM7/23/07
On Monday 23 July 2007 01:54:19 Amit Upadhyay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just uploaded a patch for what I call "reverse pagination".
> Please read about it here: http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/4956.
> You can see it in action on my blog: http://www.amitu.com/blog/.

I've replied on the tracker -- best to keep discussion of tickets in one
place.

Luke

--
"In your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are
pleasures forevermore" Psalm 16:11

Luke Plant || http://lukeplant.me.uk/

Amit Upadhyay

Jul 23, 2007, 12:15:07 PM7/23/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Ordering of objects do not change. User would not see any difference other than the fact that page 1 contains items from 1-10 instead of latest item to latest - 10 items [assuming paginate_by = 10].

Amit Upadhyay

Jul 23, 2007, 12:16:39 PM7/23/07
On 7/23/07, Tom Tobin <kor...@korpios.com> wrote:
This assumes pagination is always done on date-sorted items; there are
plenty of other uses for pagination (e.g., splitting up a very long
list of books, sorted alphabetically by title).  I *really* wouldn't
want to wonder why my books are suddenly going Z-A when my default
sorting is A-Z.

Also, this only makes sense when things are ordered by time, for other criteria, it would not make any difference either ways.