Disable admin pagination completely: discussion for ticket #4027

Marek Kubica

Apr 30, 2007, 4:04:15 AM4/30/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I created a new ticket with the need to disable pagination in the admin
object listing altogether. The current default value for pagination is 100
objects per page, which can of course be extended to sys.maxint and is
surely enough but this leaves an odd feeling. In the ticket I put up
different proposals how to solve that:

- list_per_page could accept 0 or None as "do not paginate"
- same as above, but rename this setting - list_per_page = 0 seems
strange
- create a setting like disable_pagination

As far as I see, the oldform-admin is now finishing it's life, so there
isn't probably much sense in patching that. A patch (which I volunteer to
write) would need to go against newforms-admin, maybe even before the
merge to trunk, so backwards incompatible changes would hit with one merge.

The ticket: http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/4027

So, what do you think about this? I'll be happy to hear your ideas.

regards,
Marek

P.S.: I'll try to write a patch for #4027, so expect many questions ;)

Ben Ford

Apr 30, 2007, 5:49:57 AM4/30/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marek,
I wrote a patch a while back that implemented a 'number per page widget' for admin. It never really went anywhere as it needed a better patch and some tests, which I didn't have the time to supply. I don't know if you would find this useful, let me know if you like and I can send you the patch.
Regards
Ben

Marek Kubica

May 1, 2007, 12:20:44 PM5/1/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ben,

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:49:57 +0700, Ben Ford wrote:

> I wrote a patch a while back that implemented a 'number per page widget' for
> admin. It never really went anywhere as it needed a better patch and some
> tests, which I didn't have the time to supply. I don't know if you would
> find this useful, let me know if you like and I can send you the patch.

I see, this is ticket #3152. Maybe I could have a look into this but your
patch is even more than I would need. Interesting, though.

Unfortunately, the patch is rather big and changes some things that are
not relevant to me. It would be fine to get your patch "in", after some
reworking (Ramiro already wrote what is to fix).
The current situation is a little bit annoying, with newforms-admin being
nearly ready and oldforms-admin getting unsupported.

regards,
Marek

Jason Davies

May 1, 2007, 2:44:14 PM5/1/07
to Django developers
On May 1, 5:20 pm, Marek Kubica <pythonmail...@web.de> wrote:

> The current situation is a little bit annoying, with newforms-admin being
> nearly ready and oldforms-admin getting unsupported.

Yeah, it would be good if newforms-admin could be merged asap. I
assume it's just the edit_inline functionality that we're waiting for,
according to the wiki? Is anyone working on that or should I work on
it and submit a patch?

Jason