Let's schedule a Django sprint

Adrian Holovaty

Sep 5, 2007, 4:32:12 PM9/5/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
It's about time we scheduled an official Django sprint. We've got a
bunch of features that are almost done but haven't yet been
committed/merged -- including newforms-admin, ORM aggregate support,
multi-DB support and GeoDjango. Plus, we've got almost 1,000 open
tickets in our ticket system. Let's spend 24 hours (or maybe even more
than a single day?) to get some of this done in an organized fashion,
and also to encourage new people to contribute.

I propose Friday, September 14. Some reasoning:

* It gives potential participants a week+ to plan ahead, but it's not
so far in the future that we get impatient waiting for it.

* If there's a ton of excitement and momentum, the sprint can continue
into the weekend, without interrupting any other weekdays/workdays.

* For developers who will request that their bosses/companies give
them time off, a Friday is probably the easiest day to argue for,
considering it's the least productive day of the week.

* By then, Malcolm's query.py refactoring will have landed and will
have had a few days to percolate.

Obviously we'll have to figure out the international issues, regarding
how we'll communicate across time zones and structure the work. But
I'm throwing this idea out there to get things moving.

Adrian

--
Adrian Holovaty
holovaty.com | djangoproject.com

David Cramer

Sep 5, 2007, 4:34:00 PM9/5/07
to Django developers
You promise we have refactoring done by the 14th? ;)

I can see if anyone at the office is interested in participating.

Adrian Holovaty

Sep 5, 2007, 4:38:21 PM9/5/07
On 9/5/07, David Cramer <dcr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You promise we have refactoring done by the 14th? ;)

Well, I was just not-so-subtly encouraging Malcolm to wrap it up by then. :-)

> I can see if anyone at the office is interested in participating.

Cool -- it'd be huge to have you and Brian and the other Curse folks help out.

Joseph Kocherhans

Sep 5, 2007, 4:51:15 PM9/5/07
On 9/5/07, Adrian Holovaty <holo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's about time we scheduled an official Django sprint. We've got a
> bunch of features that are almost done but haven't yet been
> committed/merged -- including newforms-admin, ORM aggregate support,
> multi-DB support and GeoDjango. Plus, we've got almost 1,000 open
> tickets in our ticket system. Let's spend 24 hours (or maybe even more
> than a single day?) to get some of this done in an organized fashion,
> and also to encourage new people to contribute.
>
> I propose Friday, September 14. Some reasoning:

Count me in, for the weekend as well.

/me hopes he can kind of recreate a conference environment at home.

Joseph

Jeremy Dunck

Sep 5, 2007, 5:04:48 PM9/5/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
On 9/5/07, Adrian Holovaty <holo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I propose Friday, September 14. Some reasoning:

I'm out town / busy until the 16th, but I'm happy to see the motion.

Don't mind me, I just hope to join the next one. :)

Deryck Hodge

Sep 5, 2007, 5:28:25 PM9/5/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
On 9/5/07, Adrian Holovaty <holo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's about time we scheduled an official Django sprint. We've got a
> bunch of features that are almost done but haven't yet been
> committed/merged -- including newforms-admin, ORM aggregate support,
> multi-DB support and GeoDjango. Plus, we've got almost 1,000 open
> tickets in our ticket system. Let's spend 24 hours (or maybe even more
> than a single day?) to get some of this done in an organized fashion,
> and also to encourage new people to contribute.
>
> I propose Friday, September 14. Some reasoning:

Count me in! Great idea, and great timing for me personally.

I assume IRC will be the meeting place of choice, or were you thinking
something else?

Cheers,
deryck

Adrian Holovaty

Sep 5, 2007, 5:39:44 PM9/5/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
On 9/5/07, Adrian Holovaty <holo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's about time we scheduled an official Django sprint.

I've contacted Brian Fitzpatrick at Google, and he said that he could
try to get Google to host it. Google recently hosted a Python 3000
sprint in Chicago and Mountain View (I attended), and it went really
well, with a super-slick videoconferencing setup between the two
offices.

Before Brian can make any official plans, though, he needs to know a
definite date and roughly how many people to expect in both Chicago
and Mountain View. So if you can commit, please speak up, and the
sooner the better.

David Cramer

Sep 5, 2007, 6:08:26 PM9/5/07
to Django developers
If they can host it at the HQ in Mountain View even better, count me
in either way.

Marty Alchin

Sep 5, 2007, 7:16:32 PM9/5/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to participate in a Django sprint, but I don't know how
sprints usually work. It's sounding like it's only available for
people to be present in person, but there's no way I can get to
Chicago for a weekend. If it's available for participation over the
Internet, I'd be very interested in taking part.

-Gul

Adrian Holovaty

Sep 5, 2007, 7:25:04 PM9/5/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Yes -- I apologize for not explaining things. Anybody, all over the
world, can participate.

Basically, a Django sprint is an excuse for people to focus their
undivided attention, for a set time frame, on improving Django. We'll
communicate via the Internet, and the people in Chicago and Mountain
View (if, indeed, that option pans out) will just have a focused place
to gather, along with better communication and the other benefits of
face-to-face interaction.

James Bennett

Sep 5, 2007, 8:16:56 PM9/5/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
On 9/5/07, Adrian Holovaty <holo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically, a Django sprint is an excuse for people to focus their
> undivided attention, for a set time frame, on improving Django. We'll
> communicate via the Internet, and the people in Chicago and Mountain
> View (if, indeed, that option pans out) will just have a focused place
> to gather, along with better communication and the other benefits of
> face-to-face interaction.

I'd be happy to participate, assuming I can clear out some of my
work-related to-do list.

Malcolm Tredinnick

Sep 5, 2007, 8:17:22 PM9/5/07
On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 15:32 -0500, Adrian Holovaty wrote:
> It's about time we scheduled an official Django sprint. We've got a
> bunch of features that are almost done but haven't yet been
> committed/merged -- including newforms-admin, ORM aggregate support,
> multi-DB support and GeoDjango. Plus, we've got almost 1,000 open
> tickets in our ticket system. Let's spend 24 hours (or maybe even more
> than a single day?) to get some of this done in an organized fashion,
> and also to encourage new people to contribute.
>
> I propose Friday, September 14. Some reasoning:

Sounds good. I'm in. I'm happy to sit around on a dedicated IRC channel
from early Friday Australian time.

Malcolm

http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/

Jacob Kaplan-Moss

Sep 5, 2007, 11:48:37 PM9/5/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey Adrian --

Sweet! Thanks for taking the lead on this :)

I'm certainly in, and if you arrange space in Chicago I'd love an
excuse to come for the weekend...

Jacob

vivek

Sep 6, 2007, 12:07:50 AM9/6/07
to Django developers
Hi,

I would like to join in although I am new to django and python. I am
hoping with around 1000 open tickets you can still use some noob hand.

vivek

Nicola Larosa

Sep 6, 2007, 2:27:15 AM9/6/07
Adrian Holovaty wrote:
> Basically, a Django sprint is an excuse for people to focus their
> undivided attention, for a set time frame, on improving Django. We'll
> communicate via the Internet, and the people in Chicago and Mountain
> View (if, indeed, that option pans out) will just have a focused place
> to gather, along with better communication and the other benefits of
> face-to-face interaction.

That's great. :-) I'll be there most of the time, Central European timezone.

--
Nicola Larosa - http://www.tekNico.net/

Gödel's conclusion is what matters:
you can't assume that something you can't prove is false,
and you can't assume that something that's true can be proved.
Let me oversimplify: Truth cannot be mechanized; deal with it.
-- Tim Bray, April 2007

Russell Keith-Magee

Sep 6, 2007, 3:49:07 AM9/6/07
On 9/6/07, Adrian Holovaty <holo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I propose Friday, September 14. Some reasoning:

I've been given the OK from my boss, so I'm in.

I'll be there from around 0800hrs AWST (0000hrs 14 Sept UTC). I have
theater tickets for the evening, so I won't be around from about
1800-2200hrs, but once I return, I should be able to kick into the wee
small hours when the US is just warming up.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

David Reynolds

Sep 6, 2007, 4:51:40 AM9/6/07

On 5 Sep 2007, at 9:32 pm, Adrian Holovaty wrote:

> I propose Friday, September 14. Some reasoning:

I'm not wholly familiar with how sprints work, but if there's a need
for testers, I can be around a bit on Friday and at the weekend.

Thanks,

David

--
David Reynolds
da...@reynoldsfamily.org.uk

Marty Alchin

Sep 6, 2007, 6:50:46 AM9/6/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
On 9/5/07, Adrian Holovaty <holo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes -- I apologize for not explaining things. Anybody, all over the
> world, can participate.

Excellent. I already have the day off from work, so I just have to
decide whether I'd rather be doing a Django sprint or working at a
garage sale. I expect I'll be there.

-Gul

Allagappan M

Sep 6, 2007, 7:14:58 AM9/6/07

On 9/6/07, vivek <puri....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to join in although I am new to django and python. I am
> hoping with around 1000 open tickets you can still use some noob hand.
Do count me in.I'm familiar with both django and python. For noobs,
will there be people who can allocate task to them?

Thanks,
Allagappan M

Malcolm Tredinnick

Sep 6, 2007, 7:28:58 AM9/6/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Definitely. Before next Friday we'll try to get some ideas up on the
wiki, too.

I've just created a wiki page for people who want to write down that
they're going to be able to attend.

Everybody else should feel free to add themselves, of course.

Malcolm

http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/

Malcolm Tredinnick

Sep 6, 2007, 7:30:06 AM9/6/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 21:29 +1000, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
[...]

> I've just created a wiki page for people who want to write down that
> they're going to be able to attend.
>
> Everybody else should feel free to add themselves, of course.

Doh! The wiki page is http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Sprint14Sep .

Regards,
Malcolm

--
The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/

Marty Alchin

Sep 6, 2007, 7:35:07 AM9/6/07
On 9/6/07, Malcolm Tredinnick <mal...@pointy-stick.com> wrote:
> Definitely. Before next Friday we'll try to get some ideas up on the
> wiki, too.

Does this mean there will be some sort of agenda planned for the
things we hope to knock out? At least the major stuff anyway?

-Gul

Malcolm Tredinnick

Sep 6, 2007, 7:51:18 AM9/6/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

*shrug*

Sprints are often a bit ad-hoc in terms of allowing people to work on
what they want. Adrian posted a few ideas in his original mail.

I was actually referring to writing up some things like what needs to be
checked if you think a patch might be close to ready, how to go through
and triage a bunch of tickets to look for dupes and patterns, things
like that. Things that people who haven't done much before can do in
small steps and contribute useful stuff. Given that we've had a few
people interested who have admitted to just starting out, we can make it
easier for them.

Malcolm

--
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/

Marty Alchin

Sep 6, 2007, 8:44:05 AM9/6/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
On 9/6/07, Malcolm Tredinnick <mal...@pointy-stick.com> wrote:
> Sprints are often a bit ad-hoc in terms of allowing people to work on
> what they want. Adrian posted a few ideas in his original mail.

Okay, that's what I was originally expecting.

> I was actually referring to writing up some things like what needs to be
> checked if you think a patch might be close to ready, how to go through
> and triage a bunch of tickets to look for dupes and patterns, things
> like that. Things that people who haven't done much before can do in
> small steps and contribute useful stuff. Given that we've had a few
> people interested who have admitted to just starting out, we can make it
> easier for them.

And not just for them. I've been hacking on Django for a year now, but
since I've only had a couple very trivial patches checked in, I'm
probably missing some of that knowledge myself.

-Gul

Nick

Sep 6, 2007, 9:09:38 AM9/6/07
to Django developers

On Sep 6, 12:51 pm, Malcolm Tredinnick <malc...@pointy-stick.com>
wrote:

> like that. Things that people who haven't done much before can do in
> small steps and contribute useful stuff. Given that we've had a few
> people interested who have admitted to just starting out, we can make it
> easier for them.

That would be good. Although I've been using Django for a while,
I've only really been nibbling around the edges of the codebase.

If there's simple stuff that folk like me can help with, I'd
certainly be interested in joining in.

Nick

Marc Garcia

Sep 6, 2007, 9:23:30 AM9/6/07
to Django developers
Great idea, count me in! for some testing/newbie stuff, so I just
started hacking django few weeks ago.

Andrews Medina

Sep 6, 2007, 10:31:31 AM9/6/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

> That's great. :-) I'll be there most of the time, Central European timezone.

Hi. I'm brazillian and I,ll be participating of the django spring.

--
Andrews Medina
http://pyman.blogspot.com/

Nis Jørgensen

Sep 6, 2007, 10:31:42 AM9/6/07
Adrian Holovaty skrev:

> It's about time we scheduled an official Django sprint. We've got a
> bunch of features that are almost done but haven't yet been
> committed/merged -- including newforms-admin, ORM aggregate support,
> multi-DB support and GeoDjango. Plus, we've got almost 1,000 open
> tickets in our ticket system. Let's spend 24 hours (or maybe even more
> than a single day?) to get some of this done in an organized fashion,
> and also to encourage new people to contribute.

When do the Americans plan to start? I am thinking of either joining
"alone" or hosting/arranging an event in Copenhagen/Malmö - GMT+2, but
since we probably wouldn't have any experienced developers, I don't
think it makes sense to start much before you do.

Nis Jorgensen
No House IT

Gary Wilson

Sep 6, 2007, 11:46:01 AM9/6/07
to Django developers
On Sep 5, 3:32 pm, "Adrian Holovaty" <holov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I propose Friday, September 14. Some reasoning:

Count me in. Maybe even some spillover into the weekend while at the
Texas Python Regional Unconference [1].

Gary

[1] http://pycamp.python.org/Texas/HomePage

Niels Sandholt Busch

Sep 6, 2007, 3:54:17 PM9/6/07
to Django developers
I'm in Copenhagen, and if you do host an event, I will show up. Got
some python experience, but a Django noob.

\Niels

Andy Gayton

Sep 6, 2007, 5:19:49 PM9/6/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

How likely is it that the sprint will continue through the weekend? I'm
based in LA, and would love to trek up to Mountain View for this - but
its a long way to come for just one day.

cheers,
Andy.

Russell Keith-Magee

Sep 6, 2007, 7:38:52 PM9/6/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
On 9/6/07, Adrian Holovaty <holo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's about time we scheduled an official Django sprint. We've got a
> bunch of features that are almost done but haven't yet been
> committed/merged -- including newforms-admin, ORM aggregate support,

Side note - ORM aggregate support was been here, and was just
mentioned on the blog. Just to set the record straight, I haven't
written any code for this yet as I have been waiting on the queryset
refactor. I was waiting until the dust had settled on a few other
pieces of work (newforms, etc) before I started up serious discussion
on this topic. I'd rather use the sprint to clean house, rather than
to start making a new mess :-)

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Nis Jørgensen

Sep 7, 2007, 10:11:45 AM9/7/07
Niels Sandholt Busch skrev:

> I'm in Copenhagen, and if you do host an event, I will show up. Got
> some python experience, but a Django noob.

OK, it is official, there will be a Copenhagen chapter of the sprint.
Location:

No House IT
c/o Indienet
Skelbækgade 40B
1717 Kbh V
E: n...@no-house.dk
T: (+45) 30 74 66 68

Exact time to be announced, based on the wishes of the participants.

Coffee and (wireless) internet access will be provided.

Nis Jørgensen
No House IT

Adrian Holovaty

Sep 7, 2007, 11:19:14 AM9/7/07
On 9/7/07, Nis Jørgensen <n...@superlativ.dk> wrote:
> OK, it is official, there will be a Copenhagen chapter of the sprint.

That's great! Thanks for organizing this.

Fernando Gutierrez

Sep 7, 2007, 12:20:01 PM9/7/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 15:32 -0500, Adrian Holovaty wrote:
> It's about time we scheduled an official Django sprint. We've got a
> bunch of features that are almost done but haven't yet been
> committed/merged -- including newforms-admin, ORM aggregate support,

> multi-DB support and GeoDjango. Plus, we've got almost 1,000 open
> tickets in our ticket system. Let's spend 24 hours (or maybe even more
> than a single day?) to get some of this done in an organized fashion,
> and also to encourage new people to contribute.
>

> I propose Friday, September 14.

Here at Aureal Systems in Lima, Peru we will be hosting an event for
this, we have at least 5 developers getting ready for this, if anybody
else wants to participate just write us an email.

Fernando

David Cramer

Sep 7, 2007, 12:24:11 PM9/7/07
to Django developers
Only 3 of us from SF? Come on now!

It's for sure that it'll be good at Google's campus?

On Sep 7, 9:20 am, Fernando Gutierrez <fgutier...@aureal.com.pe>

Adrian Holovaty

Sep 7, 2007, 12:51:16 PM9/7/07
On 9/7/07, David Cramer <dcr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Only 3 of us from SF? Come on now!
>
> It's for sure that it'll be good at Google's campus?

Google Chicago is for sure, but I'm not sure yet about Mountain View.

Silicon Valley is *so* overrated. The real action is in Chicago. :)

Marty Alchin

Sep 7, 2007, 1:01:29 PM9/7/07
On 9/7/07, Adrian Holovaty <holo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Silicon Valley is *so* overrated. The real action is in Chicago. :)

If only I could justify the 3.5 hour drive it would take to get there.
:( It's so close, yet so far away. I'll most likely be there over IRC
(or whatever) though, so don't count me out completely.

-Gul

Jason Yan

Sep 7, 2007, 1:09:37 PM9/7/07
to Django developers
I have a friend who can join in during the evening if it's held at
Mountain View, though I am surprised there aren't more Django hackers
in the Silicon Valley.

Niels Sandholt Busch

Sep 9, 2007, 6:09:35 AM9/9/07
to Django developers

> OK, it is official, there will be a Copenhagen chapter of the sprint.
> Location:

Cool, I'll be there (after work).

Niels

Honza Král

Sep 9, 2007, 11:06:39 AM9/9/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
There will also be a Prague chapter in my company - NetCentrum, we can
provide space, connectivity and perhaps some junk food ;)

Everybody's wellcome, just drop me a line if you are interested along
with some details so that I can prepare enough tables and computers
(if needed)...

Location

NetCentrum s.r.o.
Drtinova 10
Praha 5

--
Honza Král
E-Mail: Honza...@gmail.com

Don Spaulding

Sep 12, 2007, 11:31:38 AM9/12/07
to Django developers
On Sep 7, 11:51 am, "Adrian Holovaty" <holov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Google Chicago is for sure, but I'm not sure yet about Mountain View.

I know it's kind of late notice, but do we need to do anything to let
Google know we are coming besides sign up on the wiki page? Also,
what do we need to bring besides a machine? I'd be willing to provide
snacks/beverages if they aren't already taken care of.

Or do we get to feel like Google employees for the day and eat M&Ms
till we're sick? :-)

Don

Adrian Holovaty

Sep 12, 2007, 12:11:27 PM9/12/07
On 9/12/07, Don Spaulding <donspau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know it's kind of late notice, but do we need to do anything to let
> Google know we are coming besides sign up on the wiki page? Also,
> what do we need to bring besides a machine? I'd be willing to provide
> snacks/beverages if they aren't already taken care of.

I'm taking care of communication with Google and have sent them the
list of names on the wiki page as of yesterday afternoon. It looks
like your and Jeff Gibson's names weren't on the list at that point,
but I'll grandfather you in. The list for Google Chicago is now final.

Don, I will send you more logistical information off-list.

Matt

Sep 13, 2007, 12:25:58 PM9/13/07
to Django developers
On Sep 5, 9:32 pm, "Adrian Holovaty" <holov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I propose Friday, September 14.

Just a quick note for anyone in Scotland: there's a small group of us
(four at the mo) in Edinburgh joining the sprint from 7PM (GMT+1)
onwards. We're meeting at my flat so if anyone in the area wants to
join us, email me for the address.

Cheers,
M.

--