DNS for *.djangoproject.com broken

1 view

Michael Radziej

Jul 22, 2008, 10:00:40 AM7/22/08
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

the djangoproject.com domain does currently not work, even when you ask the
ns*.mediatemple.net directly, at least from Germany. Probably simply a
problem with their name servers.

Michael

--
noris network AG - Deutschherrnstraße 15-19 - D-90429 Nürnberg -
Tel +49-911-9352-0 - Fax +49-911-9352-100

Vorstand: Ingo Kraupa (Vorsitzender), Joachim Astel, Hansjochen Klenk -
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Stefan Schnabel - AG Nürnberg HRB 17689

Michael Radziej

Jul 22, 2008, 10:10:33 AM7/22/08
On Tue, Jul 22, Michael Radziej wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the djangoproject.com domain does currently not work, even when you ask the
> ns*.mediatemple.net directly, at least from Germany. Probably simply a
> problem with their name servers.

Ah, it is back. Sorry for the noise.

Jeremy Dunck

Jul 22, 2008, 10:40:37 AM7/22/08
On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Michael Radziej <m...@noris.de> wrote:
>> the djangoproject.com domain does currently not work, even when you ask the
>> ns*.mediatemple.net directly, at least from Germany. Probably simply a
>> problem with their name servers.
>
> Ah, it is back. Sorry for the noise.

In general, expect DNS hiccups for a while; the whole world is
patching right now.

Ludvig Ericson

Jul 22, 2008, 4:45:16 PM7/22/08
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Steven Armstrong

Jul 22, 2008, 4:50:00 PM7/22/08
Ludvig Ericson wrote on 07/22/08 22:45:

> On Jul 22, 2008, at 16:40, Jeremy Dunck wrote:
>> In general, expect DNS hiccups for a while; the whole world is
>> patching right now.
>
> Off-topic, yes, but I have to ask, what do you mean?

Guess he's referring to the recently discovered weakness in the DNS
protocol [1].

[1] http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-1447

Fredrik Lundh

Jul 22, 2008, 4:55:46 PM7/22/08
Ludvig Ericson wrote:

>> In general, expect DNS hiccups for a while; the whole world is
>> patching right now.
>
> Off-topic, yes, but I have to ask, what do you mean?

the Kaminsky bug, perhaps?

http://www.doxpara.com/

which is a rumored to be a naughty little DNS poisoning attack that's
become possible thanks to fast networks and routers, but might be
something entirely different (or for that matter, even worse).

</F>

alex....@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2008, 5:15:01 PM7/22/08
to Django developers
Oh, I thought it was just a bad joke about how the server would be
getting a ton of load since the alpha was just released :/

Fredrik Lundh

Jul 23, 2008, 3:30:23 AM7/23/08
Steven Armstrong wrote:

> Guess he's referring to the recently discovered weakness in the DNS
> protocol [1].
>
> [1] http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-1447

The actual flaw was "under embargo" until August 6, but was
"accidentally published" by a competing security firm yesterday,
which caused some frantic catch-up patching.

(It's probably just me, but every time I stumble upon some thread
involving people from the so-called "security community", it's like
watching a Jerry Springer episode.)

</F>

Steven Armstrong

Jul 23, 2008, 5:33:07 AM7/23/08
Fredrik Lundh wrote on 07/23/08 09:30:

> Steven Armstrong wrote:
>
>> Guess he's referring to the recently discovered weakness in the DNS
>> protocol [1].
>>
>> [1] http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-1447

[...]

> (It's probably just me, but every time I stumble upon some thread
> involving people from the so-called "security community", it's like
> watching a Jerry Springer episode.)

Not quite sure what you're talking about here.
/me is just a sysadmin who got a mail from his favorite distros security
announcement mailing list. And as someone had asked, it seemed
appropriate to answer. Thats all.

Fredrik Lundh

Jul 23, 2008, 5:53:14 AM7/23/08
Steven Armstrong wrote:

> Not quite sure what you're talking about here.

I was referring to the drama related to the first paragraph in my message:

The actual flaw was "under embargo" until August 6, but was
"accidentally published" by a competing security firm yesterday,
which caused some frantic catch-up patching.

> /me is just a sysadmin who got a mail from his favorite distros security

> announcement mailing list. And as someone had asked, it seemed
> appropriate to answer. Thats all.

Oh, I definitely didn't mean to imply that you were in any way involved
in what was going on behind the scenes. Sorry for being so confusing.

(and this isn't a security community forum, is it? if so, I'll take
everything back and will change to another channel immediately ;-)

</F>