Wherein Benjamin Franklin answers questions pertaining to the Django development process

Bitrot McGee

Apr 19, 2010, 7:23:23 PM4/19/10
to Django developers
Q: When will Django finally have every feature I want?
A: "Ambition has its disappointments to sour us, but never the good
fortune to satisfy us."

Q: What the fuck is taking so long?
A: "As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we
should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of
ours; and this we should do freely and generously."

Q: Should certain Trac fields only be editable by commiters?
A: "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little

----------

I hope this attempt to lighten the mood isn't too distracting.

To the core team: your efforts are so, so appreciated. Benjamin
Franklin (et al.) know that you have a lot of other things you could
be doing, and that working on Django is too often thankless. Thank
you! You all deserve many, many IRL ponies. A herd of ponies.

To everyone: I'd like to close with a quote by Richard Penn: "We must,
indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all be forced to use
Rails separately." Please keep that in mind. It seems relevant for
some reason.

~Bitrot

Russell Keith-Magee

Apr 19, 2010, 10:23:06 PM4/19/10
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Bitrot McGee <bit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Q: When will Django finally have every feature I want?
> A: "Ambition has its disappointments to sour us, but never the good
> fortune to satisfy us."
>
> Q: What the fuck is taking so long?
> A: "As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we
> should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of
> ours; and this we should do freely and generously."
>
> Q: Should certain Trac fields only be editable by commiters?
> A: "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little
> Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty  nor Safety."
>
> ----------
>
> I hope this attempt to lighten the mood isn't too distracting.

You, good Sir, win the internets. :-)

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Gabriel Hurley

Apr 19, 2010, 10:32:39 PM4/19/10
to Django developers
Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant!

- Gabriel

rebus_

Apr 19, 2010, 10:58:33 PM4/19/10
On 20 April 2010 01:23, Bitrot McGee <bit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Q: When will Django finally have every feature I want?
> A: "Ambition has its disappointments to sour us, but never the good
> fortune to satisfy us."
>
> Q: What the fuck is taking so long?
> A: "As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we
> should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of
> ours; and this we should do freely and generously."
>
> Q: Should certain Trac fields only be editable by commiters?
> A: "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little
> Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty  nor Safety."
>
> ----------
>
> I hope this attempt to lighten the mood isn't too distracting.
>
> To the core team: your efforts are so, so appreciated. Benjamin
> Franklin (et al.) know that you have a lot of other things you could
> be doing, and that working on Django is too often thankless. Thank
> you! You all deserve many, many IRL ponies. A herd of ponies.
>
> To everyone: I'd like to close with a quote by Richard Penn: "We must,
> indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all be forced to use
> Rails separately." Please keep that in mind. It seems relevant for
> some reason.
>
> ~Bitrot

/thread

juanpex

Apr 19, 2010, 11:34:46 PM4/19/10
to Django developers
his thread will be a very good overview of the thread
Re Re Re Re Benjamin Franklin Re Re Benjamin Franklin High Level
Discussion about the Future of Django.

class reboot(High_Level_Discussion_about_the_Future_of_Django):
pass

:/
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jerome Leclanche

Apr 20, 2010, 2:41:40 AM4/20/10
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:20 AM, orokusaki <flashde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Q: Why do folks turn away constructive criticism with a sarcastic
> snicker?
> A: "None but the well-bred man know how to confess a fault, or
> acknowledge himself in an error."

Careful there, some devs might tweet-call troll while you're not watching.
It's not like anyone warned them about the attitude ;)

Andrew Badr

Apr 20, 2010, 4:38:11 AM4/20/10
to Django developers
Umpires? Strike three off a curveball?

Florian Apolloner

Apr 20, 2010, 6:42:29 AM4/20/10
to Django developers
On Apr 20, 10:38 am, Andrew Badr <andrewb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Umpires? Strike three off a curveball?
+1, though I'd quoted big bang theory, no need for a umpire, bdfl
should be more than enough!