GSoC Update: [Check Constraints] Finally Some Code and Screencasts

Thejaswi Puthraya

Jun 22, 2007, 6:54:16 AM6/22/07
to Django developers, bno...@gmail.com
Hello Django Developers,
A week after changing my approach, I have been able to make some
progress. Also this week, I am posting screencasts to showcase my
work.

This week I tackled both Value based and Range Based constraints.

The things left to do are :
-> Implementing 'like' and 'between' check conditions.
-> Deciding whether to support 'upper' and 'lower' functions(requires
me to study if all databases support it)
-> Implementing Datetime
-> Testing on Oracle and Firebird (Can someone who has oracle help
test the constraints?)
-> Write more apps to test functionality.
-> Catch Bugs.
-> Add i18n support.
-> PEP-8 Compliance.

Screencast 1 (http://thejaswi.puthraya.googlepages.com/
screencast_1.ogg) (9MB, 12 Minutes)
This screencast deals with downloading Django and Check
Constraints from the Subversion repository and applying the patches
downloade
d. It also deals with creating a model with the various checks.

Screencast 2 (http://thejaswi.puthraya.googlepages.com/
screencast_2.ogg) (6MB, 5 Minutes)
It deals with syncing the database and observing the output in
PgAdmin.

Screencast 3 (http://thejaswi.puthraya.googlepages.com/
screencast_3.ogg) (8MB, 7 Minutes)
Using the Django admin to add data and to verify if the checks
are working.

Screencast 4 (http://thejaswi.puthraya.googlepages.com/
screencast_4.ogg) (4MB, 4 Minutes)
This screencast gives an idea of the various exceptions raised
by the check constraints models. Also a weird bug (not sure if it is a
bug) at the end of the video.

These screencasts have been created by Istanbul (http://live.gnome.org/
Istanbul)

Hope you folks will assist me in testing Django Check Constraints and
get issues to the fore, thus making Django Check Constraints usable
and useful.

Thanking You
Thejaswi Puthraya

Thejaswi Puthraya