OneToOne fields - why not?

alex.v...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2007, 2:56:37 PM4/5/07
to Django developers
Hello All,

I have read here:
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/model-api/

"The semantics of one-to-one relationships will be changing soon, so
we don't recommend you use them. If that doesn't scare you away, keep
reading."

I have successfully used OneToOne field in many projects, and it works
perfectly well. But to make it working well I always apply my patches.
Since I am lazy, I wanted to share them with others (so if they get
incorporated into django.trunk I will not have to patch again and
again).

http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/3662

But to my surprise this has been marked as: "invalid".

In my opinion, if there are no alternatives provided (like newforms-
admin) there must be a way to get such damn small bugs fixed. The
patch I've submitted is a one-liner,
does it conflict with any of bug resolving rules?

Regards.
Alex

Simon G.

Apr 5, 2007, 7:57:22 PM4/5/07
to Django developers
Hi Alex,

I marked that as invalid since (as I understand it), we're trying to
get rid of edit_inline. However, I'm not sure how far off the admin-
newforms rewrite is, and it's probably a good idea to get this simple
fix in anyway (especially if people are having problems with).

--Simon.

Malcolm Tredinnick

Apr 5, 2007, 11:09:02 PM4/5/07
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

This particular ticket is borderline. There is apparently going to be
edit_inline equivalent in newforms-admin (see Joseph Kocherhan's recent
contributions to that branch). This particular fix is against the
OneToOneField class itself. So it's probably worth looking at.

Tracking what's going on with all the development in other branches and
intended changes is incredibly difficult, so don't worry about making a
different call to what somebody else might make, Simon. I'd prefer all
admin tickets to be pitched as patches against newforms-admin, too, but
that's not quite practical at the moment.

As a general policy (for me)...

I think there is good logic to marking tickets as wontfix that apply to
the current admin. We are not intending to make another release with the
current admin. Instead, newforms-admin is being worked on (see Adrian's
thread here a week or so ago about wanting to wrap it up) and that will
completely replace admin.

What we do need to keep an eye on -- and the triagers are already doing
this for ths most part -- is to check that a bug reqported against admin
does not get propagated to newforms-admin.

There is simply too much work to do to be worrying about bug fixes for
code that will never be released, particularly when there is a
replacement just around the corner. For my own part, I am pretty much
glossing over such tickets until newforms-admin is merged, when we can
then fix the problems in the right piece of code, if they still exist.

Regards,
Malcolm