Windows testing

1 view

Steve Holden

Aug 6, 2008, 7:54:19 AM8/6/08
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
How actively is the Windows community testing Django? With the second
beta due out soon (though not as soon as originally anticipated) I
thought I'd try it out yesterday, and I see that with the recent signal
patch applied I get 1 failure. My trunk checkout gave 2 failures with 12
errors.

Is there a buildbot I can check my results against? At

http://buildbot.djangoproject.com/

the bots only say which Django, Python and database is being tested, but
not on which platform, but they all seem to be Linux/Unix so I am
guessing they all run on the same machine.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

Mike Scott

Aug 6, 2008, 8:00:36 AM8/6/08
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
If you search the archives for recent testbot discussions you'll find
that there is some work being done to try get the test bots running on
other environments, but the reason it hasn't occured yet is purely
just from lack of resources.

If you're getting errors please submit tickets into Trac.

Steve Holden

Aug 6, 2008, 8:04:37 AM8/6/08
Mike Scott wrote:
> If you search the archives for recent testbot discussions you'll find
> that there is some work being done to try get the test bots running on
> other environments, but the reason it hasn't occured yet is purely
> just from lack of resources.

Thanks. I see the bots are needing a little TLC.

> If you're getting errors please submit tickets into Trac.

Right ho.

regards
Steve

Ramiro Morales

Aug 6, 2008, 8:14:19 AM8/6/08
On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Steve Holden <hold...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike Scott wrote:
>> If you search the archives for recent testbot discussions you'll find
>> that there is some work being done to try get the test bots running on
>> other environments, but the reason it hasn't occured yet is purely
>> just from lack of resources.
>>
> Thanks. I see the bots are needing a little TLC.
>
>> If you're getting errors please submit tickets into Trac.
>>
> Right ho.

I had started the http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/DjangoOnWindows
wikipage to (among otehr things) track the failures seen under Windows
with pointers to the respective tickets and comments about the issues.

But I haven't run the test suite during the last week or so, so taking in
account the activenness of trunk in suuch period and what you say, that
page is most surely out of date.

I wil try to update it with pointers to the tickets you open if you decide
to do so. or will open these tickets myself.

Regards,

--
Ramiro Morales

Karen Tracey

Aug 6, 2008, 10:47:36 AM8/6/08
On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Steve Holden <hold...@gmail.com> wrote:

How actively is the Windows community testing Django? With the second
beta due out soon (though not as soon as originally anticipated) I
thought I'd try it out yesterday, and I see that with the recent signal
patch applied I get 1 failure. My trunk checkout gave 2 failures with 12
errors.

Is there a buildbot I can check my results against? At

  http://buildbot.djangoproject.com/

the bots only say which Django, Python and database is being tested, but
not on which platform, but they all seem to be Linux/Unix so I am
guessing they all run on the same machine.

I've been trying to test on Windows fairly regularly (though I consider myself more a member of the Django community who happens to have Windows boxes for test, rather than a member of the Windows community).  For some time I have observed this failure:

http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/7570

When streaming file uploads went in there were a couple others that cropped up but by the time I saw them there were already tickets open for them and they have now all been resolved.  Running the test suite on Windows this morning with r8222 I again see only that one failure documented above (plus a note that GDAL is not available therefore those tests aren't being run...first time I've noticed that, I'm guessing it's resulting from the gis branch merge).  The failure noted above is actually an sqlite bug (as Ramiro figured out) but Malcolm was going to try to see if there was any way to avoid hitting it, so the ticket is still open.

Karen

Ramiro Morales

Aug 6, 2008, 11:38:44 AM8/6/08
On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Karen Tracey <kmtr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been trying to test on Windows fairly regularly (though I consider
> myself more a member of the Django community who happens to have Windows
> boxes for test, rather than a member of the Windows community). For some
> time I have observed this failure:
>
> http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/7570
>
> When streaming file uploads went in there were a couple others that cropped
> up but by the time I saw them there were already tickets open for them and
> they have now all been resolved. Running the test suite on Windows this
> morning with r8222 I again see only that one failure documented above (plus
> a note that GDAL is not available therefore those tests aren't being
> run...first time I've noticed that,

I was going to post reporting that I ran the suite with an up to date
checkout and found only the same (known) failure.

Steve: Wwhat DB backend are running the suite against?. Also,
I'd suggest to doble check if the SVN WC isn't borked somehow
(for example making sure to delete the regressiontests\maxlength
directory that could introduce some bogus failures.)

Regards,

--
Ramiro Morales

Ramiro Morales

Aug 6, 2008, 1:54:20 PM8/6/08
On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Ramiro Morales <cra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Karen Tracey <kmtr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I've been trying to test on Windows fairly regularly (though I consider
>> myself more a member of the Django community who happens to have Windows
>> boxes for test, rather than a member of the Windows community). For some
>> time I have observed this failure:
>>
>> http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/7570
>>
>> When streaming file uploads went in there were a couple others that cropped
>> up but by the time I saw them there were already tickets open for them and
>> they have now all been resolved. Running the test suite on Windows this
>> morning with r8222 I again see only that one failure documented above (plus
>> a note that GDAL is not available therefore those tests aren't being
>> run...first time I've noticed that,
>
> I was going to post reporting that I ran the suite with an up to date
> checkout and found only the same (known) failure.

Update: As of r8223 (i.e. post GeoDjango and signal refactoring merging)
there are no new failures on this platform.

--
Ramiro Morales

Steve Holden

Aug 6, 2008, 2:40:20 PM8/6/08
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I was running the sqlite backend against r8222. That could account for
at least one of the errors I saw.

Before I log any tickets I'll start with a clean checkout.

Chris Hasenpflug

Aug 6, 2008, 9:46:20 PM8/6/08
to Django developers
On Aug 6, 6:54 am, Steve Holden <holden...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a buildbot I can check my results against?

I've been working on a refactor of the buildbot configuration that
will allow it to be much more dynamic and support other operating
systems. I've got things just about complete, but time has gotten
away from me lately (house hunting!!). I hope to make an announcement
this coming weekend to get things rolling.

-C

daonb

Aug 7, 2008, 2:20:44 AM8/7/08
to Django developers
Seems like improving the bots is definitely something the community
needs. I added it to the '1.0 rc' tsting sprint wiki:
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SprintIsraelAugust2008
I'd be happy if you can send me any code you have, or better yet, join
the sprint and take responsibility for improving the bot. I can get
CPU, storage and bandwidth so we can launch an improved development-
bot.