Customizable error message for ``unique_together`` constraints

orokusaki

Apr 11, 2010, 10:15:06 PM4/11/10
to Django developers
The idea is basically to allow for the customization of the error
message that's raised during ``validate_unique()``.

Example Error:
Widget with this Account and Name already exists.

More Useful Error:
You already have a Widget with this Name.

(The only key difference is that if a field is hidden like "Account",
I don't necessarily want the client to see it.)

The only idea I have for a solution is:

class Meta:
unique_together = (('account', 'name', 'You already have a
Widget with this Name.'),)

orokusaki

Russell Keith-Magee

Apr 11, 2010, 11:10:47 PM4/11/10
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

This really isn't the best time to be proposing new features. We're a
handful of tickets away from the 1.2 final release, so the focus of
the core team is on finishing what we've started, rather than starting
something new.

That said - my initial reaction is that while I agree with the use
case, I'm not a huge fan of the syntax - There is not syntactic
separation between column names and error messages; while that isn't
necessarily syntactically ambiguous, it's certainly conceptually
ambiguous.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Karen Tracey

Apr 12, 2010, 7:38:51 AM4/12/10
On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Russell Keith-Magee <freakb...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:15 AM, orokusaki <flashde...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The only idea I have for a solution is:
>
>    class Meta:
>        unique_together = (('account', 'name', 'You already have a
> Widget with this Name.'),)

[snip]

That said - my initial reaction is that while I agree with the use
case, I'm not a huge fan of the syntax - There is not syntactic
separation between column names and error messages; while that isn't
necessarily syntactically ambiguous, it's certainly conceptually
ambiguous.

Agreed on the objection to that proposed syntax.

Just for reference, there is a ticket for customizable unique error messages, #8913. Whatever is eventually done here needs to consider both plain unique and unique_together messages -- the ticket at the moment only seems to consider the former, but it would not make sense to add support for that without also doing the unique_together case.

Karen

orokusaki

Apr 12, 2010, 1:03:11 PM4/12/10
to Django developers
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll follow the progress of that ticket.

On Apr 12, 5:38 am, Karen Tracey <kmtra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Russell Keith-Magee <
>

> freakboy3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:15 AM, orokusaki <flashdesign...@gmail.com>

Patrick McNerthney

Apr 12, 2010, 1:34:48 PM4/12/10