Accepted GSoC Projects Announced

Andrew Godwin

Apr 25, 2011, 3:52:45 PM4/25/11
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to announce our four accepted GSoC projects for this year:

Template Engine Compilation and Runtime Refactoring
Student: Armin Ronacher
Details:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2011/mitsuhiko/10001

Armin has proposed to write a new template engine backend that will sit
behind both Jinja2 and Django, replacing the current infrastructure but
preserving backwards-compatibility.

Revised form rendering
----------------------
Student: Gregor M�llegger
Details:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2011/gregmuellegger/5001

Gregor will be overhauling Django's form rendering system to make it
more flexible and use templates rather than hardcoded HTML.

Schema Alteration API
---------------------
Student: Jan Rzepecki
Details:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2011/xtrqt/8001

Jan will be adding a schema alteration API to complement Django's
current creation APIs, drawing heavily on code from South, and helping
to make schema migration and alteration libraries a lot easier to build.

Composite Fields
----------------
Student: Michal Petrucha
Details:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2011/koniiiik/6001

Michal will be adding support for composite fields and primary keys into
the Django model layer, finally solving one of our longest-standing
feature requests (bug #373)

Thanks to everyone who applied, and if you weren't successful, don't let
that put you off; if you'd like some detailed feedback on why your
proposal wasn't accepted, just get in touch with me, and I'll happily
talk over it with you.

GSoC will kick off properly in late May, so you'll probably hear more
from me then; we'll hopefully have weekly updates from each student, so
you know how they're getting on. It looks to be another good summer for
Django!

Andrew