drag-n-drop order_with_respect_to

Russell Cloran

Oct 18, 2006, 8:49:18 AM10/18/06
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm currently writing an application which would benefit greatly from
an already-existing drag-n-drop interface for something like the
order_with_respect_to option.

Digging around the code, I see that order_with_respect_to seems
unmaintained -- there are portions of the code which are marked as
"TODO". In fact, as far as I can see, order_with_respect_to won't do
what it says on the label at all.

Am I missing the point here?

Is there somebody working on this?

Would a resurrection of a drag-n-drop UI for order_with_respect_to be welcomed?

Regards,

Russell
--
echo http://russell.rucus.net/spam/ | sed 's,t/.*,t,;P;s,.*//,,;s,\.,@,;'

Antonio Cavedoni

Oct 18, 2006, 10:35:34 AM10/18/06
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Russell,

On 18 Oct 2006, at 14:49, Russell Cloran wrote:
> I'm currently writing an application which would benefit greatly
> from an already-existing drag-n-drop interface for something like
> the order_with_respect_to option.
>

> Is there somebody working on this?

Last I heard on this issue is this ticket:

http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/13

But that hasn’t gotten much of love, last “action” is from around
January. The mockups from Wilson look nice anyway, maybe they’re
helpful for your needs.

> Would a resurrection of a drag-n-drop UI for order_with_respect_to
> be welcomed?

Yeah. I, for one, would very much welcome something like it.

BTW: is this code working at the moment?

http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/trunk/django/contrib/
admin/media/js/admin/ordering.js

Cheers.
--
Antonio

Russell Cloran

Oct 18, 2006, 12:20:42 PM10/18/06

On 10/18/06, Antonio Cavedoni <ant...@cavedoni.org> wrote:
> Last I heard on this issue is this ticket:
>
> http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/13
>
> But that hasn't gotten much of love, last "action" is from around
> January. The mockups from Wilson look nice anyway, maybe they're
> helpful for your needs.

Thanks for the pointer, I didn't pick that ticket up. I do like those
mockups. Wilson -- are you still working on that stuff? Do you have
any abandoned code to share with me?

> Yeah. I, for one, would very much welcome something like it.

Great, I'll continue working on it then :)

> BTW: is this code working at the moment?
>
> http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/trunk/django/contrib/
> admin/media/js/admin/ordering.js

Yes, for some values of yes :)

So far, I've dropped in dom-drag.js, hacked the change_form.html
template a little and applied the patch I posted to ticket #2137 and
have something which suggests that a large portion of the code (still)
works. It's still a bit broken in that it sets all the li's to be
absolute position, which means that everything collapses under them...
But now that I've seen Wilson's mockups, it makes a lot more sense :)