alpha_2 still has a problem for bdist_wininst

1 view

Chaiwat Suttipongsakul

Aug 10, 2008, 1:35:18 AM8/10/08
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just try to create windows installer package using 'bdist_wininst'. It
seem like the old problem still alive. The admin template is installed
in a wrong path (C:\Python25\django\...) not in the
Lib\site-packages\django. I have to use my modified patch from ChangeSet
4264. The original patch in 4264 didn't work, I change '/PURELIB/%s' to
'\\PURELIB\\%s' to make it work correctly on my win32 environment
(windows xp, ActivePython-2.5.2.2).

I saw this problem long time ago, and I still need to patch it by
myself to deploy on my environment. I can't just use 'python setup.py
install' because I need the package to be registered in 'Add/Remove
program' on the windows control panel. (That's easier to explain to the
operation/network team about how to install/uninstall/upgrade.)

Regards,
Chaiwat.S

Karen Tracey

Aug 10, 2008, 2:07:43 AM8/10/08
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

The reason for the removal of the code added in changeset 4264 are detailed in the original ticket:

http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/3203

which has a pointer to another ticket opened because of the problems it caused.  Discussion in that ticket is rather confusing, it seems to come to the conclusion that this code was now (if using an updated .... something?)  no longer needed.  Please check the discussion and see if you can find any pointers to have things work in your environment.  If not, it sounds like the code just can't be blindly added back because it caused other problems, and some solution will need to be found that addresses all problems.

Karen

Chaiwat Suttipongsakul

Aug 10, 2008, 9:59:39 AM8/10/08
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I already read that ticket and all relevant threads. Unfortunately, I can't find the way to fix it without my patch. BTW, my patch is slightly difference from the original (\\PURELIB\\%s and /PURELIB/%s). I believe that my modified one cause no harm at least on python-2.4 and python-2.5 for Win32.

Karen Tracey

Aug 10, 2008, 11:06:14 AM8/10/08
On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Chaiwat Suttipongsakul <c...@bashell.com> wrote:
I already read that ticket and all relevant threads. Unfortunately, I can't find the way to fix it without my patch. BTW, my patch is slightly difference from the original (\\PURELIB\\%s and /PURELIB/%s). I believe that my modified one cause no harm at least on python-2.4 and python-2.5 for Win32.

Then attach your updated patch to the ticket (it got reopened, right?) along with a description of what you've done to verify it doesn't cause problems ala those mentioned in the 2nd ticket and perhaps others can try it out and also verify.

Karen

Chaiwat Suttipongsakul

Aug 11, 2008, 9:37:28 AM8/11/08
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Uploaded, please review. (http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/3203)

Malcolm Tredinnick

Aug 11, 2008, 10:26:49 AM8/11/08

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 20:37 +0700, Chaiwat Suttipongsakul wrote:
> Uploaded, please review. (http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/3203)

All you've done is basically reintroduce the bit we removed previously.
How have you verified it didn't re-introduce the previous problems that
were being solved. You say it is a problem for you on "win32", but
Microsoft have never released an operating system called "win32", so
which system are you actually using that shows this symptom? You'll
probably have to read the related ticket(s) referred to in #3203 because
there were comments in a couple of places that had relevance here.

We don't want to be playing a game of round-and-round-the-bush here by
putting back in something that was removed to fix an earlier problem. At
the moment we don't have enough knowledge to determine if this fix is
sufficient or not.

Regards,
Malcolm

Karen Tracey

Aug 11, 2008, 10:37:50 AM8/11/08
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

FYI I am looking into this.  I can confirm that the current .exe produced by bdist_wininst is broken (data files are not put under the site-packages tree but rather under the main python installation directory, meaning templates in particular cannot be loaded).  The hack is quite old and I'm looking to see if there is a more 'correct' way of accomplishing the same thing.  I've got a Windows box with Pythons from 2.3.5 through 2.6b2 so can test various scenarios.

Karen

Chaiwat Suttipongsakul

Aug 11, 2008, 10:38:54 AM8/11/08
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I didn't play any game, please believe me. The term win32 mean Windows Operation System 32bit (sys.platform), and I already state my actual OS and Python version in my first mail. I also told in previous mail that I already read all relevant ticket and mail threads. I'm telling the truth that the 'official' software from Django website (even you called 'alpha') can work as expected to create a working Windows Installer file. Therefore, I patch it to make it work, and just want to share with you guy, in case that my modification may improve my beloved software. No more, no less.

Regards,