magic-removal call for testing

Adrian Holovaty

Apr 20, 2006, 5:26:34 PM4/20/06
to django...@googlegroups.com, django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

At this point, Django's magic-removal branch is stable enough that
we're ready to begin the merging process. I've been running the branch
on chicagocrime.org for a couple of weeks with no problems. As of
right now, Jacob and I are freezing feature additions to the branch
and concentrating on fixing any remaining bugs and -- more importantly
-- updating ALL of the documentation. Documentation is one of Django's
strongest selling points, and we don't want to risk having inaccurate
docs.

So this e-mail is a call for all interested parties to start using the
magic-removal branch (if you're not already), poking around at it and
reporting any bugs you find. We're removing the "for developers only"
designation and encouraging anyone and everyone to test it. Consider
it a pre-release status.

Note I said "reporting any bugs" -- not reporting features you want to
see, or lamenting the lack of features you thought magic-removal would
solve but doesn't. (I've noticed people have the tendency to shrug
things off as, "Oh, that'll be fixed in magic-removal." That thinking
is understandable, given the long time the branch has been around, but
it's inaccurate.)

Specifically, here are some things that still haven't been solved in
magic-removal -- and won't be, for the merge:

* Model subclassing. We'll deal with this after the merge.

* Validation-aware models. We'll deal with this after the merge.
Automatically-generated manipulators are still around at this point.

* Ajax in Django (Dojo integration). We'll deal with this after the merge.

Please hold off on reporting problems with the docs that obviously
still haven't been converted to magic-removal. And, yes, the tutorial
is being rewritten and not finished yet -- no need to file a ticket on
that. We know! :)

Timeline: Let's aim for a merge on next Friday, April 28. That should
give us enough time to work on documentation and iron out last-minute
bugs.

This page has all you need to know about the magic-removal branch:

http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/RemovingTheMagic

Please feel free to ask questions on the django-developers mailing list.

Adrian

--
Adrian Holovaty
holovaty.com | djangoproject.com

Joseph Kocherhans

Apr 20, 2006, 6:07:13 PM4/20/06
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
On 4/20/06, Adrian Holovaty <holo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> At this point, Django's magic-removal branch is stable enough that
> we're ready to begin the merging process. I've been running the branch
> on chicagocrime.org for a couple of weeks with no problems. As of
> right now, Jacob and I are freezing feature additions to the branch
> and concentrating on fixing any remaining bugs and -- more importantly
> -- updating ALL of the documentation. Documentation is one of Django's
> strongest selling points, and we don't want to risk having inaccurate
> docs.

This is great news Adrian! I've been running most of my projects with
magic-removal for over a month now with no problems.

/ME puts multi-auth docs on the shelf for a week and starts reviewing
existing stuff

Joseph

Russell Keith-Magee

Apr 20, 2006, 8:36:40 PM4/20/06
On 4/21/06, Adrian Holovaty <holo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Timeline: Let's aim for a merge on next Friday, April 28. That should
give us enough time to work on documentation and iron out last-minute
bugs.

Huzzah! A collective thanks to all involved in getting this beast off the ground, and those in the user community who have put up with the random explosions and helped find the bugs.

By way of process - Is the plan to make a formal release after the merge, or will the "MR Trunk" be allowed to settle a little longer before we formally tag a release? And, to follow a previous disussion, are we going to tag the current state of trunk as a 0.92 release reflecting all the trunk fixes since 0.91?

Please hold off on reporting problems with the docs that obviously
still haven't been converted to magic-removal. And, yes, the tutorial
is being rewritten and not finished yet -- no need to file a ticket on
that. We know! :)

1) The ticket for tutorial changes is 1464
2) I've already been throught the tutorials - mistakes and rewrites notwithstanding, they should all be in MR format. DB API and Model API docs should also be reasonably up to date (again, mod mistakes and rewrites)

Again, thanks to all involved,
Russ Magee %-)

limodou

Apr 20, 2006, 10:04:01 PM4/20/06
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
On 4/21/06, Adrian Holovaty <holo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Good news!

--
I like python!
My Blog: http://www.donews.net/limodou

hugo

Apr 21, 2006, 8:31:10 AM4/21/06
to Django developers
>By way of process - Is the plan to make a formal release after the merge, or
>will the "MR Trunk" be allowed to settle a little longer before we formally
>tag a release? And, to follow a previous disussion, are we going to tag the
>current state of trunk as a 0.92 release reflecting all the trunk fixes
>since 0.91?

Please keep in mind that translators need a chance to update their
translations after M-R hits trunk. So I would say that a tagged release
should be something like two weeks after M-R hits trunk, that way all
translators should have a realistic chance to update their
translations.

bye, Georg

Luke Plant

Apr 21, 2006, 9:39:12 AM4/21/06
On Thursday 20 April 2006 22:26, Adrian Holovaty wrote:

> At this point, Django's magic-removal branch is stable enough that
> we're ready to begin the merging process. I've been running the
> branch on chicagocrime.org for a couple of weeks with no problems. As
> of right now, Jacob and I are freezing feature additions to the
> branch and concentrating on fixing any remaining bugs and -- more
> importantly -- updating ALL of the documentation.

Great news Adrian. I was just about to add my CsrfMiddleware into
contrib (see other thread) - but now you've called feature freeze.
Shall I still go ahead and add it? It can't affect anything else since
it isn't actually used anywhere.

Luke

(Steven Wright)

Luke Plant || L.Plant.98 (at) cantab.net || http://lukeplant.me.uk/

pbx

Apr 21, 2006, 10:29:45 AM4/21/06
to Django developers
This is great news. I've been using M-R for a couple months on a
restricted-access production site and am very happy with it.

Adrian Holovaty

Apr 21, 2006, 10:46:21 AM4/21/06
On 4/21/06, Luke Plant <L.Pla...@cantab.net> wrote:
> Great news Adrian. I was just about to add my CsrfMiddleware into
> contrib (see other thread) - but now you've called feature freeze.
> Shall I still go ahead and add it? It can't affect anything else since
> it isn't actually used anywhere.

In the interest of keeping to our word about feature freezing, let's
wait on this until after the merge.